anyone on a Kogan phone and/or plan, seems too good to be true?

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been looking at it too.. I think part of the deal comes from them working consumer direct.. But it's pretty fucking good. On the Telstra network too.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anyone on a Kogan phone and plan?
$299 per year, unlimited calls and texts, 6gb data per month?
bring your own phone or buy a Kogan for as little as $149, or a Samsung at $179 and up, no lock in contract, seems too good to be true?

http://www.kogan.com/au/mobile/

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/samsung-galaxy-y-duos-s6102b-black/

2 things you should know.

1 that phone, is just a cheap Chinese android phone that has been rebranded(nothing amazing).

2 their network runs off the old telstra network. It is not the Next G network, and thus the speeds are sub par (below 7mbps) and the coverage is much less in terms of distance(not very helpful if riding out in the bush)

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
kogan is trustworthy with both the no brand chinese products as well as the sales of branded products. but of course, this plan is going to work, but reception and the quality of the service is not going to be any Telstra 4G sub-network or anything

ADD

Likes Dirt
I had a friend who had to get his phone repaired under warranty with Kogan. Didn't have a phone for almost a month. Sure... They've got great customer service. He only had the phone 2 weeks before it needed to be fixed too.

wombat

Lives in a hole
2 their network runs off the old telstra network. It is not the Next G network, and thus the speeds are sub par (below 7mbps) and the coverage is much less in terms of distance(not very helpful if riding out in the bush)
I was considering Kogan (up until Optus threw me a massive credit for their fuckups) and it seems as though coverage is pretty good in metro areas.
What put me off is their 'fair use' policy, and the fact that they're disconnecting subscribers who rack up big data usage in a short period. Fuck that for a joke, I want to use what I pay for as I see fit, not as the telco wants me to.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Also consider Amaysim. I have been on them for about 2 years, never had a problem. Works out to be $480/year, and I have found coverage and customer service to be very very good. Not sure if it makes a difference but have used it with a BlackBerry, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.

$40 a month, unlimited calls, unlimited texts (inc MMS) and 4GB data with unlimited facebook, twitter etc. And no contract, best of all, its just month by month.

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd say Telstra Pre Paid Encore is the best value.

$30 recharge.

Free Aussie Calls and Text from 6pm to 6am
$260 of 'Cap Credit' to be used (high call and text rates)
400mb of data
another $30 which could be used to:

send to friends/family via creditme2u
purchase $30 of apps/music/movies/games on the google play store
Purchase a 1gb data pack

And that's all with kickass coverage and decent phone support.

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
Woolworths mobile looks good.

$29 (or $27 with a everyday rewards card) for 45 days gets $500 credit + 5gb of data. And they piggyback on optus.

Also consider Amaysim. I have been on them for about 2 years, never had a problem. Works out to be $480/year, and I have found coverage and customer service to be very very good. Not sure if it makes a difference but have used it with a BlackBerry, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.

$40 a month, unlimited calls, unlimited texts (inc MMS) and 4GB data with unlimited facebook, twitter etc. And no contract, best of all, its just month by month.
Who's network do they piggyback?

Thats a very similar deal to iinet (optus)

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I'm about to switch from Telstra to boost since Telstra have just taken boost over. I was going to go kogan and just see how the (slightly) lower coverage works in my area, but boost have full coverage minus 4g and only $10 a month more. I'm currently shelling out $50 for $950 of calls and 700mb (+2gb if you know how to access it) of data with Telstra, where boost will be $40 for unlimited calls and text and 3gb of data. Seems a no brainer to me, kogan is better value but its Telstra wholesale where boost is the same thing as Telstra prepaid at a minimal premium.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd say Telstra Pre Paid Encore is the best value.

$30 recharge.

Free Aussie Calls and Text from 6pm to 6am
$260 of 'Cap Credit' to be used (high call and text rates)
400mb of data
another $30 which could be used to:

send to friends/family via creditme2u
purchase $30 of apps/music/movies/games on the google play store
Purchase a 1gb data pack

And that's all with kickass coverage and decent phone support.
That's not even close to the best value. As it's been said, $40 gets you unlimited domestic calls, unlimited domestic text, unlimited social media, and 4GB of data.

I'm with Boost myself, with the same rate as above but only 3GB of data. Not an issue for me, as I haven't gone through the 3GB as yet.