Anyone ridden Forrest in Vic?

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Hi guys, looking to head up to Forrest to do some riding. Never been there before but is there enough there to justify a 2hr drive? We've all got enduro style bikes so we can pedal uphil if needed, but we're all pretty descent orientated. Can anyone recommend any tracks or a circuit to do? Thanks.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Yep, was up there the other day.

I'd say more on the xc side of things, but there are some good descents.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Yep, was up there the other day.

I'd say more on the xc side of things, but there are some good descents.

Ah thanks! i used the search function but didnt see this thread.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
We drive the two and half hours gladly, but usually camp there for a weekender. Yaugher, Follow the Dog and Red Carpet are the three different sections. Nothing super bro DH, but heaps of sweet trails. Love Forrest.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you want xc bikes and fitness. yes red carpet climb up from the reservoir on track 2 you could ride up further on the dirt road and go through to the quarry descent that then joins red carpet, that's really your only long mtb descent. beyond that its all rolling up and down, some tight, technical, beautiful single track, marriner's run would be good on your bike types as well.

there's a section called the moto tracks, if you look at the otway odyssey 100k course, there's some very fast dirt road descents that connect to moto tracks. but you would need to know the area pretty well.

if you wanted an epic day take noonday track to Apollo bay but need good endurance, still you'd have very fast big bike descents.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Ah dang, unfortunately some of my friends and fat and lazy and won't like that haha. I need new friends.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Yaugher is the main trail area and has a heap of variation. Start on the Yaugher Super Loop, and definitely add in Grasstrees and Mariners Run and then whatever takes your fancy on the west side. As a FYFI... after you do the berms on Mariners, you then climb for a bit, maybe go about 400 metres or so, and you'll see a very small track to your left, I put a few sticks there next to a tree, and that takes you back to the start of the Mariner berms, and repeat. In town, Follow the Dog is fun and worth doing. The only real long climb grind is getting to the top of Red Carpet, and if there's a few of you, you could shuttle each other.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Red carpet is worth getting to the top of. It’s a fun blast down.

I agree with others that follow the dog is worth a couple of loops too.

They are some good trails and beautiful bushland but won’t stretch you skills or the capability of you bikes

JOSHY7

Likes Bikes
Red carpet is worth getting to the top of. It’s a fun blast down.

I agree with others that follow the dog is worth a couple of loops too.

They are some good trails and beautiful bushland but won’t stretch you skills or the capability of you bikes
Spot on

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
The sanction would scrap on the climbs on ftd, I'd hate to see how this new gen of low and long goes haha. 130mm was ideal out there to have entertainment.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yaugher is the main trail area and has a heap of variation. Start on the Yaugher Super Loop, and definitely add in Grasstrees and Mariners Run and then whatever takes your fancy on the west side. As a FYFI... after you do the berms on Mariners, you then climb for a bit, maybe go about 400 metres or so, and you'll see a very small track to your left, I put a few sticks there next to a tree, and that takes you back to the start of the Mariner berms, and repeat. In town, Follow the Dog is fun and worth doing. The only real long climb grind is getting to the top of Red Carpet, and if there's a few of you, you could shuttle each other.
I was looking for that Mariners work around last time, cheers for the heads up

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I was looking for that Mariners work around last time, cheers for the heads up
Hope you find it.

There is in fact a nifty way to just ride the berms of Mariners. Go down Foxtail and drop down and cross over Cemetery Rd where it meets Centre Rd. Ride up Centre Rd and you'll see a few minor trails on your left. One of them leads to the start of the Mariner berms.