Anyone ridden through the Wollemi NP

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone done it? north to south, from Widden to Bogee/Glen Alice more specifically. Interested in this as I can end up at my parents place at Bogee and the start point is on the bylong valley way which is the main road over. This would make it easy for drop off and pick up at both ends.
from what I can gather it is mostly the BNT and I vaguely remember it being a popular run for 4wd'ers and moto's before NP's shut the gates.

Are there any other options in this area?

I've mapped the route out here http://ridewithgps.com/routes/502240
Thanks

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone done it? north to south, from Widden to Bogee/Glen Alice more specifically. Interested in this as I can end up at my parents place at Bogee and the start point is on the bylong valley way which is the main road over. This would make it easy for drop off and pick up at both ends.
from what I can gather it is mostly the BNT and I vaguely remember it being a popular run for 4wd'ers and moto's before NP's shut the gates.

Are there any other options in this area?

I've mapped the route out here http://ridewithgps.com/routes/502240
Thanks
have you tried the ginger wine and bikepacking threads? From memory* it was spoonie who rode sections of the BNT

* memory not so good.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Spoonie (Dagonz) did it the other way. And started at Stromlo....
http://spoonboy.solonutter.org/blog/?p=365

A few guys from here have done the Glen Alice - putty road ride.

Most say spectacular scenery. OK riding and that Hunter main is the better route better for riding

Last edited:

DaGonz

Eats Squid
NPWS put out this excellent PDF last year with details of the major routes through Wollemi and any private landowners you may need to contact.
Man I called a lot of people before that trip :)

Apparantly sections of trail between Glen Alice and Widden are closed:

http://nationaltrail.com.au/closedact.html

I have been meaning to find out if that status has changed or to where that it's actually a problem, or even if it's just "proceed with caution" or "nah you have no hope/dangerous"

There is apparantly a loop that's not totally mapped that links putty up through to glen alice trail via army road, and back via hunter main trail. A certain magazine editor has done it, I've heared rumours of others and seen photos, I can't link it on a topo and I've heared others try and fail to find the trail. Used to be a popular 4x track though as I understand.

Of the sections of trail I rode, I can probably still give you some fairly accurate route notes/cues from the top of my head ( I remember "things" like that)

Have a look at the GPS plots from the Link Flynny gave and the Flyer Ed posted. The national parks guy did that flyer basically because of my discussions with him. He seem pretty good to talk to and is worth calling if you plan to head through. He had some pretty good knowledge not only of the trail conditions but of places to get water and the like. I can possibly still remember the exact spots but it may be dependent on conditions. Semi potable water wasn't an issue when I went through but YMMV

I'm keen to do that rip S-N again with some modifications. I now have a rough sketch from the end of watagans through to new castle that takes in some parks, tracks, and Glenrock. I also know there's some primo single track in Rydal that'll potentially link rydal into Lithgow. IMHO a better detour than the BNT main route. A better route through the back of Hampton and out of Canberra still eludes me, but that could just be a matter of time and some local knowledge...

Feel free to give me a buzz, or post here if any of that raises more questions than answers...

Cheers
Spoonie

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks, that write up of spoonies is great, inspiring stuff! By the looks of it you headed east across to the sheepskin hut before getting to any of the trails I want to ride. I'll go through the PDF after I've had a sleep.

thecat, did you end up doing the ride across to the putty rd? I remember sending you a gps route I had created a while back.

I've found a couple of write ups on the section of trail I'm wanting to ride,
http://www.mtba.asn.au/trails/?IntCatId=10&IntContId=651
[URL]http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36040

http://www.cycleaustralia.info/cycling/wollemi.htm
[/URL]
I have not had time to go through them yet as I had to go to work.
I have contacted my old man who has maps and has been through most of it with the RFS. I'll be seeing him this weekend so will get a bit more info out of him.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
thecat, did you end up doing the ride across to the putty rd? I remember sending you a gps route I had created a while back.
I didn't mate we had a few delays with bad weather and the main organiser getting injured. when they finally locked in a date it was no good to me.

A couple of guys did 3 ways to Dunns Swamp and another couple did Glenn alice to the putty over a couple of days with their kids.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like a few of the trails are closed in the Wollemi. I've contacted the Mudgee office of NPWS and they are going to ring me back and let me know when the trail is going to be reopened.
Last update: 6/5/2011 3:16PM[h=3]Closed areas[/h]Closure of Bicentennial National Trail and California Trail
  • Due to storm damage the Bicentennial National Trail is closed between Glen Alice and Widden until further notice.
  • The California Trail is temporarily closed due to road works.
For updates and further information on activities in the area, contact the NPWS Heritage Centre at Blackheath, phone 02 4787 8877; open seven days 9.00 am to 4.30 pm.

Howes Trail is closed due to roadworks
The Howes Trail in Wollemi National Park is currently closed due to road works. The road is extremely wet and boggy.
Part of Martindale Trail CLOSED
The Martindale Trail will be closed from Raspberry Junction on the Hunter Main Trail to Parachute Pass at the Martindale Valley. Repair work to damaged sections is being undertaken for visitor safety purposes.

Partial closure Wheeny Creek Camping Area
Lyrebird, Cheese Tree and Boobook camping areas: vehicle access is closed due to dangerous road conditions.

***Edit*** Just got a call back and the trail is open from Widden south to Dunns Swamp (Glen Alice trail is definitely closed ). Apparently it is very wet in there at the moment with a few trees down across the track.

Last edited:

terraburn

Squid
Apologies for super old thread resurrection...

I'm looking for similar info as discussed in this thread. In particular trail info to create a ride/walk from Putty to Lithgow.
The 'spoonboy' links including the NPWS pdf don't work now.
Any info much appreciated.

notime

Likes Dirt
Apologies for super old thread resurrection...

I'm looking for similar info as discussed in this thread. In particular trail info to create a ride/walk from Putty to Lithgow.
The 'spoonboy' links including the NPWS pdf don't work now.
Any info much appreciated.
A couple friends rode from Putty Rd to Glen Alice via the Wirraba ridge track in July. Was max levels of hike a bike.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A couple friends rode from Putty Rd to Glen Alice via the Wirraba ridge track in July. Was max levels of hike a bike.
Wirriba Ridge trail is closed and is very overgrown. The Putty Rd end of the Wirriba track crosses private property and has been closed off for many years. Apparently there is a phone number on the gate of the private property but I can't confirm this.

The Army Rd which goes from Gospers Mountain to Coricudgy Rd is maintained by NPWS. There is a way from the Army Rd to Glen Alice but I am not sure of the route.

To get an idea of what the area is like to ride through google: gospers mountain mtb. There are some videos, trip reports and pictures.

CBG.

Last edited:

otherKim

Cannon Fodder
It seems like such an amazing ride and yet this page is the best one that comes up in the google search.
I've been planning the ride for years, I even did a scout mission the the western side of Hunter Main Trail, up and over Mount Coricudgy (rather large mountain) from Dunns Swamp. Some incredible views of the Wollemi. Seems like it would be down hill most of the way from the gate.
I figure drop a car on Commission Road and ride from the locked gate bottom of Mount Coricudgy, should be a long yet amazing day trip. Had been a little nervous in case the Trail was overgrown. But if its a maintained fire trail - should be fine. I'll organise a trip soon and update this forum.

D01

Likes Dirt
The Putty Rd end of the Wirriba track crosses private property and has been closed off for many years.
I went up there shortly after the track was closed off while planning a ride to Dunns Swamp. I only rode as far as Mt Wirraba, but I remember I accessed the Wirraba ridge trail via a 4wd trail to the south of the private property. So in theory the Wirraba ridge trail is still accessible, although it's probably very overgrown.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have a look at this link, some guys raced this a few years back. I can put you in touch if you have any questions.
https://ridewithgps.com/events/66316-hurt-mix-tape#routes/28623893/preview
The Howes Valley Track is how you get across Yengo NP. I am pretty sure that is the route that spoonboy took on his trip. Unfortunately his trip write-up is not available anymore. It is handy to have a gps track that confirms that this is the way across so thanks for posting. Last time I drove down Putty Road I made sure I checked out where that turnoff is. It's one of those spots where the local property owners have put a gate up to make it look like it's private property to deter people (mainly idiots in 4wd) from entering but it is a public road AFAIK.
This photo shows several entire families including small kids right in the guts of the WNP only two years ago, bridge visible in the background.

Seems to be on Wirraba Creek. How the hell would they have got in there?
I have seen that photo before. To be honest I think whoever posted it put it in the wrong spot. Also, I think I remember from one of the 4wd reports that I read that there was no bridge at Wollemi(?) Ck and getting across was part of the challenges of the trip.
I don't think so. My understanding is that the pines are in a creek valley deep in the NP somewhere to the east of the Army Rd. The trig and cows in those photos are up at Gospers Mountain. Location: https://goo.gl/maps/VT1NRvo4b822

CBG.

Last edited: