anyone sent a bike to the UK?

BagofSkill

Likes Dirt
OK, now this is a huge issue for me

I want to post my bike from Australia to the UK.

Quantas have given me 20 for all my baggage, and each additional kg costs me $60. How insane is that.

If my suitcase is 20kg, which it is atleast, and then my boxxed bike is an additional 20kg. Then I have to pay $1200 in addidional baggage.

When I recovered from the shock, I called the unaccompanied baggage department. They want $370.

There MUST be a cheaper way! musn't there? This is just insane! Who can help me?

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just ship it to your self, using another shippiung firm.... It may even get there before you :p Send it via fedex, Australia post, DHL whatever. you will have to pull it appared and put in a bike box or something though, will probably cost round 300bux, but thats a fair whack cheaper than $1200.

When you get there it is alot cheaper to send it back, as there is alot more competition over there in regards to shipping companies.

Rik

logged out
I've a friend that works for a packing company, I'll get a quote off him ASAP for ya.
You're cutting fine with time though...

11:11

Likes Dirt
Hi Bargoff, are you sure they only allow you 20kg?
because everytime i travel they usually give me 25kg limit.. (with SQ thou)
one of the tips to avoid the charge is try to check in early and they won't be so strict with your excess baggage.
I remember one time my total baggage was 32kgish and they just let me checked in without paying anything.
I know this is not that much but it will help when you strip your bike.

the other way is if you are travelling in a group (2-3ppl or more) try to check-in at the same time so basically you can spread the weight to other ppl in your group who don't have heavy baggage.

By going to the next class will also give you more baggage limit, of course you'll pay more but at least you got better service and comfier seats.

Be very careful with unaccompanied baggage, they might look cheap but usually they have lots of hidden fees.
They won't tell you anything about this unless you really ask them.
The most common one is if you can't collect your goods when they arrived, they gonna charge you with storage fees.
For rates of unaccompanied baggage service, check www.jetta.com.au

Hope this helps :)

Dane

Likes Dirt
my auntie is using Australia Post to send my cousins bike over to him (he is on a working holiday over there). she is coming over shortly, i'll ask her how much it is.

Dane

Likes Dirt
$105 for 17 kilos.
She (only) insured it for $500 dollars which added $15. Lets hope nothing happens and my cousin dosen't find out.