Anyone wanna show me around some hobart trails?

Wanna show me around?

• Sure, why not!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get bent, mainlander!

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

clockworked

Like an orange
Im here till Sunday, ive got my own transport and the only time I'm busy is a bit of time on thursday.

Shoot me a pm!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I can’t show you around at all, filthy mainlander.

BUT

The north south track is plenty good if nobody puts their hand up, and is pretty easy to follow as a solo ride (its a there and back trail). I had a ball on it, the cheeky A lines dotted through are good fun too.

The skinny bridge over the fallen tree was pretty intense, low key proud af I nailed it. Scared crap outta Mrs. Ultra hahaha

clockworked

Like an orange
Thanks for the tip! I'll probably knock that over tomorrow.
I did a quick trip over to tolman's hill yesterday, which had a really fun downhill section, but a fairly serious climb back up.
Now im about head over to mt nelson. The trailforks webpage is pretty useful!

clockworked

Like an orange
Legend!

Well mt nelson has a bunch of tracks that i seem to be good at finding the bottom of instead of the top. That loonies leap is a pretty high-level trail though!

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Take a cruise to the top of Mt Wellington, do the tourist stuff then belt down the road to the Springs where the North-South track starts, its easy to find, download a GPX from strava for your garmin if you are worried. It drops you right in to Glenorchy MTB park then follow the rail trail back to the city centre... with a beer stop at Salamanca.

ozzybmx

Here's the vid we did on the way down, I was on my pub-bike and the kids were on their 'old bikes' that were on the small side as we were doing the tourist lap of Tassie... didn't matter leaving them on the caravan to go see stuff as they were not worth stealing. Mum dropped us at the top and we did the descent. I did it again the next day after a visit to the city and the brewery, had a few roadies in the backpack too.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Im here till Sunday, ive got my own transport and the only time I'm busy is a bit of time on thursday.

Shoot me a pm!
Yeah man I'm keen. If you can arrange a flight I'll come down for the weekend?

I'd like to hear a report on the riding around Hobart when you're done please? Trail styles, ease of access from city, difficulty, and so on. We hear a lot about other parts of Tasmania but Hobart is a little hush...

Scotty675

Cable thief
Always happy to show fellow burners around when down in Hobart. I took clockworked for a loop around the Clarence mtb park/Meehan range. A little more climbing involved but what goes up must come down.
A quick rundown would be you have 3 mtb parks within 15minutes of the CBD. Clarence mtb park, Glenorchy mtb park and Kingston mtb park. Also South Hobart trail network and mt Wellington trail network of course.
Clarence mtb park is 5 minutes from the airport and these days I would do 75% of my riding there. This is being updated all the time. The north south track was due to be fully open again by the end of November. Trailforks will get you by down here. Most of our trails are well marked but take into account trails like north south are shared with walker so do the right thing and be aware.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Always happy to show fellow burners around when down in Hobart. I took clockworked for a loop around the Clarence mtb park/Meehan range. A little more climbing involved but what goes up must come down.
A quick rundown would be you have 3 mtb parks within 15minutes of the CBD. Clarence mtb park, Glenorchy mtb park and Kingston mtb park. Also South Hobart trail network and mt Wellington trail network of course.
Clarence mtb park is 5 minutes from the airport and these days I would do 75% of my riding there. This is being updated all the time. The north south track was due to be fully open again by the end of November. Trailforks will get you by down here. Most of our trails are well marked but take into account trails like north south are shared with walker so do the right thing and be aware.
Is this all fairly xc style riding?

Scotty675

Cable thief
I class it mainly xc. They do hold enduro events over there but it’s no shuttle park. They have pump track and jumps lines over there now. There are some good techy gravity trails but you have to pedal to get to them.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Likewise, I'm a Hobart local and happy to assist. The base of South Hobart and Waterworks are 10 - 15 minutes ride from the CDB up the Hobart Rivulet Track. On the Cascade Brewery side of south Hobart trails are pretty easy to find and follow with trailforks. Waterworks/ Tolmans Hill you can still sniff your way around but would be much easier with a local to show you about. Glenorchy MTB park is about a 30 minute ride out of the CDB on the intercity cycleway. Clarence you can also ride to from the CDB although it's a bit of a slog with no easy direct route. There are also less well known trails around Shag Bay and Pilchers Hill.

Enduro lines as follows (at least what I consider Enduro!).
Meehan Range has several (easy to see on Trailforks) but you are pedalling to get to them all
South Hobart, the tracks leading off Strickland Avenue can be shuttled. Drops, Rivulet, Sdrifty, Rut Line, Ginger Lady/ Loam Line/ Sexual Healing, the old Slides track, Red Wine, and a few features on Tip Top/ Tip Chute I'd class as Enduro
Waterworks/ Tolmans Hill has The Blair Switchbacks and Gossamer. You can shuttle a fair bit of the climb using the Ridgeway Rd
Shag Bay has Two Tools which is a nice old school jump line. No shuttling
Pilchers Hill has Mr Slippy Fist, but again no shuttling.
Glenorchy, Kingston, and Clarence have good park style riding.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Just saw this when walking through the city so thought I'd share the info. There is now an hourly shuttle bus from 9am - 3pm that takes bikes from the Hobart CDB up Mt Wellington. Details here. In summary you can do a one way shuttle to the head of the North/ South track (Springs) for $35. You still have to ride from Glenorchy back to the CBD, but this is an easy 20-30 minute cruise mostly on bike track. Or you can get an all day bus pass for $50, and do multiple trips to Fern Tree, from which you can pretty easily access all of the South Hobart/ Waterworks trails with minimal climbing and throw a Springs ride in as well. From the bottom of the Waterworks or South Hobart it's a 15 minute ride back to the CBD, and the Fern Tree pub does a great lunch feed!

ozzybmx

Just saw this when walking through the city so thought I'd share the info. There is now an hourly shuttle bus from 9am - 3pm that takes bikes from the Hobart CDB up Mt Wellington. Details here. In summary you can do a one way shuttle to the head of the North/ South track (Springs) for $35. You still have to ride from Glenorchy back to the CBD, but this is an easy 20-30 minute cruise mostly on bike track. Or you can get an all day bus pass for $50, and do multiple trips to Fern Tree
Just had a look at this, it says $15 per trip extra, per bike. Looks like they have copy-pasted the same info from the 1-way trip info... would be good to know if the 'all day ticket' incurs a $15 per bike for every trip up the mountain.

Last edited: