Apartment living, bike supply n working.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Well life's down abit a strange turn and it looks like ill be moving into a 3rd floor apartment which is new experience and the first time I've not had a shed for car and bike goods..

What setups do you have for your gear, a maintenance area and bike storage? It'll be a single bedroom so no room for spares.

Are you washing your bike at the car wash after riding?

Anyone using a work mat in a wet area? Any setup pictures would be good. I'm considering making up a freestanding cupboard to hold the works, bike, kit, tools and repair stand and work mat.

Attachments

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
During my 6 month stay at my mum's house I put my bikes into storage. I set up a small workspace there and it was just a matter of shuffling things when. I needed to use the work space. I lived about 1km from the storage and it was en route to my main ride location.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I sacrificed the living room TV and cabinet for bike storage and work bench when I was in an apartment. Nothing as flash as those pictures (they are so clean! Looks mint). I always preferred watching movies in bed off the computer anyway.

The stripper pole bike racks also work well, I have a few mates using them, hang the bike up high that way so they still have abit of space underneath.

I used an office mat thing under the bench, and would throw a drop sheet over it whenever I was doing serious maintenance to stop things bouncing off when I inevitably dropped something.

For the love of all things holy please don’t put your bike in the “secure” garage.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
My bicycles lived at work garage. I'd take one home when I needed to use it. It was quite secure with some of the higher paid folks with ridiculous expensive bikes that got ridden once a month.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
My bicycles lived at work garage. I'd take one home when I needed to use it. It was quite secure with some of the higher paid folks with ridiculous expensive bikes that got ridden once a month.
Work garage isn't secure enough at either head office of display, thefts occurred from both sadly.

Ultralord, yeah no way I'm using a secure zone for it. Just not an option at all. It's got to be inside, not on the porch or anything. It'll be a lounge room job for sure, if I can make it tasteful I will. The furniture I've got is a really nice walnut colour so if I can find a way to watch it up I will.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I kind of want to post a photo of the green seinfeld bike but can't be bothered finding it.

I don't know ehat your layout is like (do you yet?) But you should be able to sort something out. Will you have a laundry room or alcove somewhere? Can you leave some space behind the couch and leave it behind there? Less used corner? I'd have a mat or old carpet to roll out when you do work but that can even be done in the kitchen without too much issue

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Television is overrated...arrange the lounge room around your bike set up! I have before. It is only an issue of you have a lady visitor. They aren't wowed by it like your mates will be.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Television is overrated...arrange the lounge room around your bike set up! I have before. It is only an issue of you have a lady visitor. They aren't wowed by it like your mates will be.
Lady friends understand the bike thing. It's either be here or not, their choice. Don't get visitors anyways, so bike setup will take more than the telle. I've got the apartment floor plan, just waiting on the keys and move in date.

mark22

Likes Dirt
That last pic is a really good set up, you could chuck a curtain over the front and put in any room it would fit.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Third picture's concept looks good. Unsure this scales up to 8 bikes so nicely though.
I got to 5, then the great cull happened...ideally want to get back to 3.
Slopestyle-dj , HD trail and GG.

A trid zz will definitely be readded, the last or foes and then probably a bombtrack.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Gravel grinder, and I'm going a burly 140mm rig. Always end up preferring shorter travel bikes than 160mm ones, happens time and time again.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Aaaah I see.

Right there with ya on the burly short travel rigs, just too much fun.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In a bit of a similar boat at the moment.

I'm living permanently in a mining camp, I have a permanent donga room so I don't have to move my stuff out over weekends/when I go back to Brissy.
But the walls are 3m x 3m or so (maybe 3x4m) with a table, bed, cupboard and sink taking up a fair portion of that.

My bike actually arrives tomorrow (or this evening). Not going to leave it out in the main bike rack so I'll have to live with it in my room.

I don't mind, but I think the cleaners might crack the shits.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Some friends drilled hooks into their ceiling and upside down hung their bikes. They did have a highish ceiling.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Well no more than 1 bike is going to fit, that's clear now! Going to have to make it sit over my current TV unit.