apple ipod touch pros and cons

mitchy_poo

Likes Dirt
Hey rotorburners, as the title says im thinking of getting a ipod touch and was just wondering if there pros and cons with them, i searched on here for threads about them but they are abit old and only asking about the apps for them.

So yes i would like to know the pros and cons as i said previous and if anyone has them can tell me all about them as for like battery life , if it has any problems after so many months or years or what to look out for it it starts to fail.

I have been on there site and read all the apps and games and all the other stuff it can do and, wondering what apps come on it , i know if you want more apps and games you buy them or if you dont want to pay the small fee then you can jailbreak it?.

thanks in advance rotorburners :).
mitch

LJohn

Likes Dirt
I can give you my personal pros and cons, in terms of ease of use and usability, but apps you can go and research yourself.

The battery life is good, it isn't great. It's much better if you turn off wifi, bluetooth, and the any other various power chewing options. And yes, it has wifi and bluetooth. It's a very handy little gizmo. I was in bali for 9 days recently and hardly paid for internet because everywhere had wifi. Since most sites now have an iphone version of the site it is doubly handy. The sound quality is pretty good, not as nice as my little sony thing, but good. But NO INDEPENDENT EQ. It has eq presets, but that doesn't help. And before anyone pulls out the compressed audio is a lost cause, yes, I do realise this, but most of my library is in FLAC or WAV. Otherwise it's a bit mid heavy. Which some people don't like. I like a prominent mid range so I'm satisfied. Not overly impressed, but satisfied. You'd get more of a bonus if your stuff wasn't downloaded and was ripped from a cd in reasonable quality. I've got a friend that downloads way too much, and it all sounds a bit hissy.

Ipod earphones are the pits. Get some Sennheiser CXs. Cheap and wonderful.

in terms of my apps. I can remote control my macbook with it. I have a peterson strobe tuner for my guitar. It has a synth. It has a d'addario chord library with a great interface and the ability to strum the chord on screen to test for feel/sound. I've never really bothered with games, time wasting is wasting.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I find the sound quality produced by the preset eq better than the eq's in other standard ipods I have. The nano I have tends to distort the bass frequencies, and with my bose headphones and bose sound dock I can only listen to it on flat or something similar. In the Itouch, I can listen to any preset and it sounds much clearer, with zero distortion.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
. The sound quality is pretty good, not as nice as my little sony thing, but good. But NO INDEPENDENT EQ. It has eq presets, but that doesn't help. And before anyone pulls out the compressed audio is a lost cause, yes, I do realise this, but most of my library is in FLAC or WAV. Otherwise it's a bit mid heavy. Which some people don't like. I like a prominent mid range so I'm satisfied. Not overly impressed, but satisfied. You'd get more of a bonus if your stuff wasn't downloaded and was ripped from a cd in reasonable quality. I've got a friend that downloads way too much, and it all sounds a bit hissy.
I could be wrong here, but in Itunes you can make custom eq settings, which can then be applied to songs by richg clicking and choosing 'more info'. I'm pretty sure if you do this in itunes for the music, then turn preset eq off in the ipod it works better!

If you get an Itouch/Iphone, jailbreak it. Apple basically bum rape everyone who buy their products by making us pay for everything worth having. Jailbreaking removes the paying part, and allows free downloads of everything from music to apps (albeit illegally, but thats for another thread).

They can be fun, and as LJohn said, the wifi feature is great. On my Iphone, I only get 250mb a month in data, which I could comfortably smash in about 20 minutes. However, because there are wifi hot spots popping up evvvvverywhere now days, I rarely come close to using all my data!

If you want any more info RE jailbreaking, let me know and I'll point you in the direction of some websites/tutorials.

sam705

Likes Dirt
On my Iphone, I only get 250mb a month in data, which I could comfortably smash in about 20 minutes.
How so? Due to d/l music/games considering it's jailbroken?
I have 700mb a month to use and i barely go through 100mb. I feel as though im being jibbed. Not real keen on jailbreaking either!

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
On my Iphone, I only get 250mb a month in data, which I could comfortably smash in about 20 minutes.
How on earth do you do that? I have 1gb and an entire week of youtube, downloading music and web browsing won't even chew 250mb.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Ditto. I smash youtube, my email auto updates every 15mins, check FB non stop. And i barely hit 250 a month. What am i doing wrong?

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rarely use a computer anymore... I'm on one now, but i more or less do everything else by iphone...

I also download music and all that straight to my phone...

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Basically ipod touch=the most usefull pocket device

Pros

Awesome media player for music and videos. Yes the audio quality isn't the best available but if your not an auidiophile who cares.

Safari
The ability to view any website (except flash stuff) on a screen that small is amazing. You can zoom in and out easily to read text.

Mail
The mail app works a treat. Especially when setup properly. I know no longer use the comp for checking emails.

YouTube
Nuff said kill some time

And.....

Apps

Shit. Where to start the ability to add features to your iPod for free or $1 or so is awesome. Read down for more

Cons
Only iTunes support
Video has to be in a funny format
Hands can get sore after using it for ages. Not it takes a while
The keyboard starts off hard to use but once you master it it works really well.

Apps
Here are some of my pics
Pocket weather au
IM+ lite
Shazam
Tune in radio
Ping
Metlink Melbourne
Good reader
Footy live
Espn score centre
Google
Flashlight

Games

Flight control
Nova
Peggle
Real Racing
Enigmo
Supercross and atv

Also if The difference between the 32/64gb and 8gb apart from storage is that the larger models have: different headphones with a remote and mic, faster iPod in general everyhing loads quicker and voice control :-;

Basically if you are unsure just go get one. You won't regret it.

Cheers Kyran

mitchy_poo

Likes Dirt
Basically ipod touch=the most usefull pocket device

Pros

Awesome media player for music and videos. Yes the audio quality isn't the best available but if your not an auidiophile who cares.

Safari
The ability to view any website (except flash stuff) on a screen that small is amazing. You can zoom in and out easily to read text.

Mail
The mail app works a treat. Especially when setup properly. I know no longer use the comp for checking emails.

YouTube
Nuff said kill some time

And.....

Apps

Shit. Where to start the ability to add features to your iPod for free or $1 or so is awesome. Read down for more

Cons
Only iTunes support
Video has to be in a funny format
Hands can get sore after using it for ages. Not it takes a while
The keyboard starts off hard to use but once you master it it works really well.

Apps
Here are some of my pics
Pocket weather au
IM+ lite
Shazam
Tune in radio
Ping
Metlink Melbourne
Good reader
Footy live
Espn score centre
Google
Flashlight

Games

Flight control
Nova
Peggle
Real Racing
Enigmo
Supercross and atv

Also if The difference between the 32/64gb and 8gb apart from storage is that the larger models have: different headphones with a remote and mic, faster iPod in general everyhing loads quicker and voice control :-;

Basically if you are unsure just go get one. You won't regret it.

Cheers Kyran
Ahhh awesome as , so im possible to go down to kmart this morn to get one becaus ei have a $200 gift card and the 8gb is $219 sale and finishes today, so might aswell get the 8gb or would it be worth it going 32gb.

Last edited:

mitchy_poo

Likes Dirt
got the ipod touch

Went to kmart and baught the ipod touch, so stoked looks so good, but a delimah, i dont have itunes and cant set up the ipod so i went to download the latest itunes, and i cant because im not administrator on the computer my mums bf is and need his password to download it ,i could ask him to download it for me but knowing him hell chuck the shits and say it will get viruses and then the computer wont work rah rah rah.

So i have a ipod that isnt going to be set up for abit unless i go to a mates house and download music and etc,

But so far im happy for purchasing it im glad i got it while it was on sale i will always have it with me if i get bored and have endless amount of fun.:D

just devistated about not being able to download a simple thing such as itunes. but ohwell, thats what friends are for to use their computer :D ahaha.