Arch/Flow Mk3 ERD

PJO

in me vL comy
Looking to build up a 26" Arch or Flow Mk3 set on Hope hubs. Anyone built with these lately, can I trust the manufacturers ERD of 542mm??
I don't normally, usually wait until I have the rims in my hands so I can measure the ERD but planning on heading to the new Maydena Bike Park in early Feb and it might cut it too close if I wait...
Anyone have a measurement of the ERD for any in the Mk3 range (26, 27, or 29)??

moorey

call me Mia
I built the flows onto Evo hubs.
48 x 262mm spokes.
16 x 260mm spokes. (Rear drive side)

Others are on pro4, and bought built up.

Reactions: PJO

PJO

in me vL comy
Awesome, thanks gents.
Moorey, for rims I've used in the past the manufacturers ERD is either out or measured some unusual way.

A further question, I'm guessing that I can't do much better for a sub $500 wheel build than this Stans/Hope pro4 combo?
And any reasons why I shouldn't build an Arch rear and a Flow front? I can't get anything bigger than a 2.25 in the rear triangle anyway.

moorey

call me Mia
No reason...it’s just something I could never personally tolerate. You want a stronger rear, even though you tend to run bigger front tyres.
For not much more than $500, built and delivered, the hope DH rims on pro 4 are hard to ignore. Couple of hundred grams buys a lot of peace of mind, if you aren’t an XC bandit.

PJO

in me vL comy
Yeah I have that feeling also, it seems a bit odd to have different rims on front and back, think I'll just chuck Flows on both ends, even though they are probably overkill for my ability.

I'm probably definitely a bit odd, I like building my own wheels...:eek:

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah I have that feeling also, it seems a bit odd to have different rims on front and back, think I'll just chuck Flows on both ends, even though they are probably overkill for my ability.

I'm probably definitely a bit odd, I like building my own wheels...:eek:
It’s fun to do....just cheaper more often to buy built and delivered. Go nuts!

moorey

call me Mia
They are, but are still out there.

Banshee is the answer you’re looking for. I run my spitfire 26, Bur have played with it as 27.5, and have spare wheels for it. The Rune is currently 27.5, mainly because it was built for my son, but will probably go back to 26 soon.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Awesome, thanks gents.
Moorey, for rims I've used in the past the manufacturers ERD is either out or measured some unusual way.

A further question, I'm guessing that I can't do much better for a sub $500 wheel build than this Stans/Hope pro4 combo?
And any reasons why I shouldn't build an Arch rear and a Flow front? I can't get anything bigger than a 2.25 in the rear triangle anyway.
I'm running 26" Flow MK3 front and Arch MK3 rear on Hope pro 4 hubs. I initially was going to build the rear with Flow MK3 rim since i happen to have a couple of them, but decided against it as I have few 2.25 tyres and only one 2.4+ tyre. I found running narrow tyres on wide rim increases the chances of rim strikes, and the profile of the tyre will be too square/flat.

Having said that, I know someone who uses Flow MK3 with 2.2 tyres and love them. Each to their own I guess.

Reactions: PJO

PJO

in me vL comy
I'm running 26" Flow MK3 front and Arch MK3 rear on Hope pro 4 hubs. I initially was going to build the rear with Flow MK3 rim since i happen to have a couple of them, but decided against it as I have few 2.25 tyres and only one 2.4+ tyre. I found running narrow tyres on wide rim increases the chances of rim strikes, and the profile of the tyre will be too square/flat
Thanks mate, like I said earlier I was also considering the Flow front/Arch rear combo, but decided that I would rather two matched rims, i.e. a Flow rear, and didn't think it would be too much of a difference. Guess I will have to see if it squares off my rear tyre too much since I can't fit anything bigger than a 2.25" on the rear.

PJO

in me vL comy
Just to update for those that might search this later.
One of the Flow rims was 542mm bang on, and the other was almost 543mm.
Very easy to build up using 260mm and 262mm spokes. Spokes sat nicely at the level of the slot once at final tension for the 542 rim and were at most a couple of threads below for the 543 rim.
DSC_0833_2.jpg