Food/Diet Are fitness wristbands worthwhile? And other weightloss tips

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
The horse hasn't already bolted on this one. The corporations are only just getting started with harnessing the usefulness of the data.

I'll give you a current example then. Coles little red quote insurance uses your shopping data to work out how much you drive and where you drive. People who can bothered with fly buys will also go to effort of buying their fuel at Shell. Wesfarmers are using this information to then work out how much they can stick it to you with their premiums. Wesfarmers owns Coles and CGU. This is their current business practice.

Corporations like Wesfarmers aren't doing all this because they like you and want to give you money. They're doing it because that is how they can make the fattest profits. Taken across all shoppers the 'savings' and imaginary.The same will apply to any data recorded by any corporation. It's common business sense, not paranoia.
But in this case, if you don't 'opt in,' you're already in 'negative savings' when it comes to buying necessities such as food and fuel. I agree with your point that nothing is free and data is incredibly valuable (think about why facebook has implemented new 'reaction' buttons more varied than 'Like') I think though that in each case a contract/EULA is written in such a way that means a person agrees they understand what they are exchanging, when they most likely don't, or don't understand the full extent of what they are exchanging. Most people understand that when signing up for a loyalty program, they give their email for marketing in exchange for a small discount. However, they might not realise that they are also giving their purchase history and consumer behaviour information, as long as they consistently use the loyalty card. The problem lies in that the device or the product is always the pretty front end for a way of collecting more information, and people aren't always aware of the link between the product they use and the data they create with that product.

Last edited:

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is the consent free, prior and informed? By the first vendor, and the one they sell the data to?

What happens when the purpose forbdata changes? Will they go back for re-consent?

If not, chances are it's not going to be used in the customers interests.

And therefore, arguably, not used ethically.

Fck it all off IMO.

John U

MTB Precision
But in this case, if you don't 'opt in,' you're already in 'negative savings' when it comes to buying necessities such as food and fuel. I agree with your point that nothing is free and data is incredibly valuable (think about why facebook has implemented new 'reaction' buttons more varied than 'Like') I think though that in each case a contract/EULA is written in such a way that means a person agrees they understand what they are exchanging, when they most likely don't, or don't understand the full extent of what they are exchanging. Most people understand that when signing up for a loyalty program, they give their email for marketing in exchange for a small discount. However, they might not realise that they are also giving their purchase history and consumer behaviour information, as long as they consistently use the loyalty card. The problem lies in that the device or the product is always the pretty front end for a way of collecting more information, and people aren't always aware of the link between the product they use and the data they create with that product.
I'm with you on the negative savings. I avoid shopping at outlets where they give out these cards, or am very selective in what I purchase from them.

People don't understand what they're signing up for, or how valuable what they're giving away is, or they don't care. There hasn't been an obvious negative impact yet to make people sit up enough to take notice and care. When there is one it may be too late for a lot of people. Who knows what the impact might be.

Is the consent free, prior and informed? By the first vendor, and the one they sell the data to?

What happens when the purpose forbdata changes? Will they go back for re-consent?

If not, chances are it's not going to be used in the customers interests.

And therefore, arguably, not used ethically.

Fck it all off IMO.
Agreed. Consent is not informed, and they sell it to whoever they can get away with selling it to.

Just had a thought, PayPal gets all of this info to share. In some circumstances it just can't be avoided.

placebo

Likes Dirt
Are you using it with a Garmin Edge cyclecomputer?
Yeah, the scosche works fine with my 520. It works straight away without having to worry about getting enough moisture on it to get a reliable reading like a polar or garmin chest strap. I just tighten it down on my forearm close to my elbow, as it came lose a couple of times on DH runs when I wore it lower.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Yeah, the scosche works fine with my 520. It works straight away without having to worry about getting enough moisture on it to get a reliable reading like a polar or garmin chest strap. I just tighten it down on my forearm close to my elbow, as it came lose a couple of times on DH runs when I wore it lower.
thanks, good to know. :thumb:

dacmo

Squid
I believe that Scosche Rhythm+ works pretty much with anything ANT+/Bluetooth. So you should not have any issues with either the Garmin or anything else. Like placebo, I've also found that it needs to be quite tight and closer to the elbow. It does move a little after it gets some sweat on it. It also works on the upper arm so if you're concerned, place it there.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a ShitBit Charge HR that crapped out, however the person who purchased it for me had done some homework and wisely paid extra for one of those extended warranties. I returned it to the retailer, to be told by the helpful assistant that they have the highest failure rate of any product they have ever sold.

I ended up with another ShitBit...this time a Blaze. It seems ok thus far...one of the most useful features is the countdown timer that vibrates on the wrist when time is up. Good for when using headphones and riding/exercising and for not setting the kitchen on fire. Not worth AUD$300+ though. I have an extended warranty on this one as well so when it inevitably shits itself I will get another brand and maybe a CD or 3?