Are Hip Packs Cool ???

Z

Zaf

No, they're not cool.
But holy shit they're practical to the point that you don't give a shit.

If you want to hide it, get a raceface Rip Strip.
Otherwise save time and just get the Source Hipster. The Camelback Palos doesn't secure the main compartment as well, so it's weight sits off your body and it bounces the moment things get fun.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I have a completely uncool, unbranded hip pack that was a hiking waist pack. It originally held a basic first aid kit in a flat compartment and a small drink bottle. I've retained some of the first aid gear and the rest of the pocket can easily hold keys and a mobile. The drink bottle is stuffed with a multi-tool, a quick link, tyre boot and a CO2 canister with a rag to stop them rattling. Sits in the small of my back perfectly doesn't move in contrast to the Camelback. No doubt I look like some middle aged American tourist toting their fanny pack, but hands down it's the most comfortable, practical carrying solution now that droppers have put the kybosh on saddle bags. The Camelback only gets a run out now for longer rides as it holds more water, or if I need to carry extra layers.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Saw a couple of guys with these at my last enduro race. Seemed to work ok for them, got me thinking of trying one and ditching the camelback.

If I go out with the kids I'll usually take a standard bumbag for phone, keys and other shit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I'm not sure I get the problem with a camelbak - i don't even notice it when riding. Mind you, have been riding with it for so many years it probably just feels weird not having it there...

Its just like gloves, glasses and helmet - feels wrong without them.

moman

Likes Dirt
No, they're not cool.
But holy shit they're practical to the point that you don't give a shit.
Totally this.

I have the bontrager one and love it for carrying my phone, keys, snacks and spares. Don't notice it on at all. If I put a spare water bottle in there I do a bit but its negligible.

My methodology is: Can walk back to the car - pockets.
Annoyingly long walk back to car - hip pack
Lost in the woods - backpack

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Totally this.

I have the bontrager one and love it for carrying my phone, keys, snacks and spares. Don't notice it on at all. If I put a spare water bottle in there I do a bit but its negligible.

My methodology is: Can walk back to the car - pockets.
Annoyingly long walk back to car - hip pack
Lost in the woods - backpack
Of course they're cool. I'm one of the coolest people I know. I've got a camelbak similar to this

https://www.pushys.com.au/camelbak-...4&aid=195355&gclid=CMyelYm9qtQCFYUIKgodkfgNNg

Stoneyy

Squid
I think the Bontrager one is cool because it can take a water bottle.

Small ride - bottle in frame only
Big ride - Bottle in frame and bottle in hip pack

I lost some gear last ride out of the jersey pocket so I can lock it away in the hip pack that's another plus.

Binaural

Eats Squid
They're not cool, but they are cool in the thermal sense. The ones I've seen can't hold significant amounts of water either, so definitely a summer/short rides thing IMO.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Woohoo I can get my bumbag out of mothballs and call it a waist or hip pack !!!
The power or marketing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have been considering getting a Hip Pack (Bum Bag) to take trailing riding and do not see many people using them.

The one I am looking at is the Bontrager Rapid Pack
https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/...e-bags-panniers/bontrager-rapid-pack/p/14798/
http://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-mtb-hip-pack-you-can-buy/3/

People who own them what do you think about them ????
No they aren't. If you're even considering them you probably don't have enough street cred to risk using one. Maybe get a satchel and lad it up.

No, they're not cool.
Well said.

Mica

Likes Dirt
I think they're cool (says the married guy with kids rapidly approaching middle age who's not trying to impress anyone).

Bought the evoc one for the commute as I was sick of the backpack and haven't looked back, so much nicer. Makes me travel light but happy lose a few "essentials"

Haven't tried it on the trails yet so can't comment on off-road behaviour but you forget it exists pretty fast and super comfortable so imagine it would be fine.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like many have said, they're so practical I absolutely give precisely no f@cks.
I've got a Kathmandu trail runner's one and get the odd comment from my mates but they are insecure and feeble.
It carries two bottles too so I can carry three on a ride including the one on the bike.

Rock it with pride mate.
The best bit is not having to take the damned thing off to get anything you're after. Just spin it around and get to it.

Last edited: