Are you in your retirement Job?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My generation was conditioned over formative years and throughout working life to work to 65, that shit is hard to turn around. You need something to feel useful. Maslov still applies. Volunteering, touring, playing chess, flashing the lawn bowlers on Thursdays.

Minlak

custom titis
My generation was conditioned over formative years and throughout working life to work to 65, that shit is hard to turn around. You need something to feel useful. Maslov still applies. Volunteering, touring, playing chess, flashing the lawn bowlers on Thursdays.
Your generation worked until 1865 I seem to recall

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Probably, but seriously hoping I'm not, in my retirement job. I've been a printing machinist since landing an apprenticeship from Year 12 Work Experience. I like the actual work, don't like all the BS that goes with it, which has been universal in every company I've worked for. A tree change has seriously limited my options though, and being a bit older means finding work after retraining is practically impossible. The thought of dealing with printing for another 20 years doesn't fill me with hope.

So I'm slowly growing a bike based business off the side of my side gig. Getting a few repeat customers, getting quite a few people say Old Joe recommended you. Even have one client asking about bike recommendations. If it wasn't such a shit time to get hold of bikes I reckon I could make it something worthwhile. But that's a whole other kettle of retail related fish

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Seems like some people have never truly enjoyed a beef vindaloo.
I remember eating some kind of potato thing in New Delhi with what can only be described as a molten lava filling. I did weeks of training but nothing prepared me for that.

The bedclothes remained stain free thankfully!

So Retirement Job
  1. job you think you will be in when you retire ... whenever that may be
  2. you are no longer interested in changing roles so may as well be the retirement job.
  3. your age doesn’t really matter ... but be interesting to see how long you think you will be in this role for.
I remember my first management role ... I was about 32 ... and my team comprised of an actuary (older than Moses) an Analyst ( 25ish) and an Accountant (25ish) Being Asian, I treated the Actuary (who was effectively my predecessor in the role) like my grandad or respected elder. I deferred to him whenever I didn’t care enough what the outcome of a decision was ... so we all got along. That said, It stuck with me that he was in his retirement role ... when I left for another company. He eventually retired and within weeks died.

the death part isn’t a focus of this discussion ... but I have met several people like this ... work defined them, gave them purpose ... retirement was the end, not the start. Sad but understandable.

I’ve been focused on the future for sometime now and I see I’ll be working for another 15 to 20years.
I’d like to keep working in some capacity (more mental less physical) until I can no longer move. (Be interesting to look back at this if still around in +10years).

I don’t think I’m in my retirement job as I know it will change several times prior to retirement ... but I think this is what I want to do until I retire.

What about you?
its a good question. Haven’t thought about it like that before. I’ve just turned 60 and I enjoy my job but I still keep an eye on Seek and other job sites. Sometimes I see something that interests me but don’t follow Up on them. So I guess that means I’m in my retirement job? When I’m having a bad week I think about retiring but most of the time work is interesting. I don’t like working from home, going to the office and being with people is a really important part of work for me. I’m pretty sure I could keep myself occupied in retirement as I have plenty of interests riding, chess, gardening, bush regeneration. it’s scary though thinking that if I retire at 65 I only have 15 years till I’m 80!!

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Possibly doing my retirement job. I'll be 57 this year but lost a lot of years of income to raising kids, and then dealing with a chronic illness that was finally diagnosed as cancer.

Looking to employ someone to do my current job (mobile dog groomer) and build up to a few employees, leaving me time to spend with my grandkids.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
47 now and been working in the same programming area for over 20 years, freelancing in that for over 10. It would seriously suck to start again in new languages or packages. the freelance gig is always something that can dry up in a moment, but i have clients i think would snap up a fixed gig for a couple of days a week that would let me see it out to retirement.

Youngest kid is still in third grade, so him finishing school is likely the timeframe, if not sooner. after the cancer scare there's this little voice that warns against being too cautious in saving for retirement then dropping off before you get to enjoy any of it

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
47 now and been working in the same programming area for over 20 years, freelancing in that for over 10. It would seriously suck to start again in new languages or packages. the freelance gig is always something that can dry up in a moment, but i have clients i think would snap up a fixed gig for a couple of days a week that would let me see it out to retirement.

Youngest kid is still in third grade, so him finishing school is likely the timeframe, if not sooner. after the cancer scare there's this little voice that warns against being too cautious in saving for retirement then dropping off before you get to enjoy any of it
Well? Don't keep us in suspenders, what did you order?

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Slowman

Likes Dirt
These days you need at least a million and a couple of investment properties to retire comfortably... and a wife that will stop spending money all the time!

I've been with my current employer 32 years. Enjoyed the first 20 flying all over the world on assignments, and took my bike a lot of the time! Then there was about 8 years in between when it looked like my field was static, no more travel, no more training or education, no more new people and then someone realised as everyone was being retrenched and others were retiring, that the mainframe is not dead, and those saying it were just very naughty children. So about 4 years ago my career arose from the ashes with the return of travel, training and education. Now we're training Indians (there's tears already) and Chinese to replace ourselves but instead of waiting for redundancy (which kept shrinking anyway) it's ever onward!

My youngest children are 15 and 14, so maybe in another 5 years when they finish their undergraduate degrees I can retire.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
These days you need at least a million and a couple of investment properties to retire comfortably... and a wife that will stop spending money all the time!

I've been with my current employer 32 years. Enjoyed the first 20 flying all over the world on assignments, and took my bike a lot of the time! Then there was about 8 years in between when it looked like my field was static, no more travel, no more training or education, no more new people and then someone realised as everyone was being retrenched and others were retiring, that the mainframe is not dead, and those saying it were just very naughty children. So about 4 years ago my career arose from the ashes with the return of travel, training and education. Now we're training Indians (there's tears already) and Chinese to replace ourselves but instead of waiting for redundancy (which kept shrinking anyway) it's ever onward!

My youngest children are 15 and 14, so maybe in another 5 years when they finish their undergraduate degrees I can retire.
Depends where you live though.

I'm aiming for at least $600,000 in super as a couple and a paid off house. We'll go travelling around Australia and live a simple life.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've been with my current employer 32 years.
Same as me, 32yrs in the workplace (not same employer as I moved to Oz)

2 x boys at 14 & 15... oh hold on, it was #2 sons birthday today, so 2 x 15yr olds.

I am looking 7-8yrs.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Same as me, 32yrs in the workplace (not same employer as I moved to Oz)

2 x boys at 14 & 15... oh hold on, it was #2 sons birthday today, so 2 x 15yr olds.

I am looking 7-8yrs.
Lol. I too am looking 7 years (12YO) before we make any earth shatttering life decisions. Like an EBike or something...

teK--

Eats Squid
Anyone been in what they thought was the retirement job, but then took a leap of faith and changed job?

(Not just change workplaces in same/similar role, but actually a different industry or same industry but different role)

Would be interested to hear how you dealt with upskilling or retraining, and also the likelihood you had to take a big pay cut whilst restarting at near the bottom of the ladder.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone been in what they thought was the retirement job, but then took a leap of faith and changed job?

(Not just change workplaces in same/similar role, but actually a different industry or same industry but different role)

Would be interested to hear how you dealt with upskilling or retraining, and also the likelihood you had to take a big pay cut whilst restarting at near the bottom of the ladder.
Not quite the same although I have contemplated it. I made several sideways moves - I was Project Manager in construction, moved to an architectural consultancy firm project managing interior design projects. Then back into construction for a bit then into development, incremental change albeit easily could have jumped from construction to development. Since me joining our company has exclusively hired ex construction people :) So I guess I tried to make changes that were more sideways than down but incremental change, plenty to learn but not start from the bottom kind of thing.