Arm of derailure contacting cassette

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, recently purchased a few 10spd Shimano XT derailleur.

However, when I'm setting it up the "arm" where the cable attatches hits the cassette body. Any help? Am I missing something dumb here?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Is the cassette running an extender cog?
Derailleur also looks to be angled back a long.

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
Is the notch on the b link rotated as far anti clockwise as possible so it is resting against the derailleur hanger?

moorey

call me Mia
Is the notch on the b link rotated as far anti clockwise as possible so it is resting against the derailleur hanger?
That's what I was trying to say....
Also, did you replace because you bent/snapped last derailleur? If so, hanger could be bent.

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
I was going to suggest that, but looking at other pictures of XT RDs it looks to be in very similar spot with respect to the hanger.

My guess here is that big cog, which looks like it has 42T written on it is a third party cassette expander, which means you're going to need something like the GoatLink to make sure the RD doesn't foul on the cog.

Or use a normal 10-speed cassette.

You'll need a GOAT link or RadR cage. On one of my bikes with 10 speed 11-42 with the Rad cage and XT clutch, it touches slightly but has worked a groove into it, so all good then I suppose ;) On another bike 10 speed 11 -42, the same Rad cage XT clutch deraillieur touches really badly and can't be used. I got the RadR cage and using with a XTR clutch and now no fouling on the cassette

moorey

call me Mia
You'll need a GOAT link or RadR cage. On one of my bikes with 10 speed 11-42 with the Rad cage and XT clutch, it touches slightly but has worked a groove into it, so all good then I suppose ;) On another bike 10 speed 11 -42, the same Rad cage XT clutch deraillieur touches really badly and can't be used. I got the RadR cage and using with a XTR clutch and now no fouling on the cassette
I'm using both on 2 different bikes (1x10 11-40's) . Goat is cheaper, and a 3 minute install. Both work great.

teK--

Eats Squid
I was going to suggest that, but looking at other pictures of XT RDs it looks to be in very similar spot with respect to the hanger.

My guess here is that big cog, which looks like it has 42T written on it is a third party cassette expander, which means you're going to need something like the GoatLink to make sure the RD doesn't foul on the cog.

Or use a normal 10-speed cassette.
His looks tilted way too far back/up. Here's the same bike similar year:

cobba

Likes Dirt
Direct mount frame.
Try this
I don't that it is a direct mount hanger, didn't this bike originally have a SRAM rear derailleur.

Here's the same bike similar year:
Carbon frame from a different year to the OP's aluminium frame.

Am I missing something dumb here?
Post a photo of the derailleur setup like the first photo but with the bike flat on the ground so the angles that the derailleur is attached can be seen better.

I think that I can see a problem with the mounting in the first photo but a better photo will confirm it.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
i reckon this is correct....the whole derailleur mech seems to be angled too far back & too far away from the frame and as a result is spoiling with the cassette.

correct installation looks like this...
p5pb7659903.jpg

op's installation...
82e688954d734a2e5d49979ea17fef2d.jpg

i'd restart the install with attention to position of the rear mechs 'alignment block' in regards to the hanger/frame...

Thread the 5mm rear derailleur bolt into your derailleur hanger on your frame. Tighten the 5mm bolt to 8 – 10 Nm (70 – 85 in.lbs). Be sure to have the alignment block in the correct position (as shown) so that the derailleur is situated properly on the frame.
http://www.bike198.com/how-to-install-and-adjust-your-rear-derailleur/
rear-derailleur-alignment-block.jpg

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Love how complicated these threads get in a short period of time.

As said lots of times, it looks like you've out a 42 or 44 on the cassette, and that's too much without modifying the deraileur either with a radr cage or a goat link. SRAM will make it to a 42, but shimano not so much.

One of the reasons you are getting so many replies though is the picture isn't in the vertical plane. Deraileurs should be photographed with the bike horizontal on a flat surface for proper positioning. All the other things are possible, just not as likely as the first one.

Cheers

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think we're just hanging out for what the solution is. Come on OP! Tell us!
Hahah sorry all, I've been of with RFS for few days and now on a job interview in Melbourne you'll have to wait until Saturday!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
i reckon this is correct....the whole derailleur mech seems to be angled too far back & too far away from the frame and as a result is spoiling with the cassette.

i'd restart the install with attention to position of the rear mechs 'alignment block' in regards to the hanger/frame...
Surely this is the problem?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

Surely this is the problem?
No. Clearly I need to say it a bit louder.... The problem is the cassette that's outside the design specification of the derailleur.

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No. Clearly I need to say it a bit louder.... The problem is the cassette that's outside the design specification of the derailleur.
This is what I'm thinking is the issue. My fault for not checking/realizing. Goat link it is