Arm of derailure contacting cassette

moorey

call me Mia
I used an XT mid cage. Didn't even have to wind the B-screw all the way (was close though) and it worked fine with 11-40.

With 10 speed Shimano you wind the B screw so that the jockey is as close as possible to the largest cog. The last time I used SRAM 10 speed you set it at about 5-6mm clearance. It is interesting though that 11 speed Shimano they have since gone to a 5-6mm clearance spec as well. This coincides with what I already did with my old 10 speed, where I wound it out by the same amount and it worked fine with the 40T.
Tried the B. Could JUST get i clearing but shifting was compromised. Might come down to the bike and hanger position.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Tried the B. Could JUST get i clearing but shifting was compromised. Might come down to the bike and hanger position.
The ghetto solution to get it going is to reverse the b screw and wind it in from the other side , gives you a few more mm of b screw. I think it was e13 who used to ship a longer b screw with their Shimano extender cog.

Goat link is by far though the cheapest and most elegant solution

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The ghetto solution to get it going is to reverse the b screw and wind it in from the other side , gives you a few more mm of b screw. I think it was e13 who used to ship a longer b screw with their Shimano extender cog.
Problem is kicking the derailleur down to clear the sprocket is what's causing it to swing around & foul the cable arm. NEEDS a Goat Link.

Last edited:

Goat link is by far though the cheapest and most elegant solution
If you take the B screw out all the way there is a spacer which can be removed to get it to screw in a little further

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I think it's probably just the cable tension.

Have you tried the barrel adjuster?

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alright then gang, for those playing along at home my Goat Link finally showed up today. 10min later it's on and shifting like a dream. Cheers for all your help! (yes I know the chain is a bit slack, I have no idea where my chain breaker has gone so that's the next job )

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Good on you for following up with photos and all ... amazing how many times these threads where people try to assist get left in the never-never by the OP.

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go the Goat.
#longlivethegoat
Good on you for following up with photos and all ... amazing how many times these threads where people try to assist get left in the never-never by the OP.
Agreed, that's why I did!

For anyone interested the setup is now;

Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech w/10spd Goat Link

Shimano Zee M640 1x10 shifter

SRAM 10 Speed 11-36T w/One up 42T and SRAM something something chain.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk