Article: The Culture of Mountain Biking Has Gone Astray

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yep, so the key is to be low key and respectful about it and don’t get sulky when it’s closed down because too many enduro bros made a bloody mess of things...
Huh. Round here it’s the endurobro’s that build and maintain things. And push for legal trails.

Nah fuck em. They’s are cuntz.

I’d much rather see kids riding pivot dh bikes and transition sentinals (actually, hifi can vouch for pack of young lads on those pretty bloody amazing bikes stocking up at the IGA before dissapearing into the wild.) than fanging around the bush on 85cc mx bikes.
Yeah nah. ‘Do no harm’ doesn’t sound right on his family crest.
“Fuckin engineers” on it would make sense though.

clockworked

Like an orange
That article is a bunch of nimby bullshit.

Sure, the huge mass of new riders didn't sweat blood to get trails, but the upside to that is that the critical mass of regular riders is now being noticed by land managers and heaps more trail centers exist than back when everyone was a virtuous sole trail builder.

All this blind development has also lead to gravel grinders, more cyclocross bikes and bikepacking. Surely that suits these people that just want peace and quiet without unnecessary excitement

Ackland

chats d'élevage
That article is a bunch of nimby bullshit.

Sure, the huge mass of new riders didn't sweat blood to get trails, but the upside to that is that the critical mass of regular riders is now being noticed by land managers and heaps more trail centers exist than back when everyone was a virtuous sole trail builder.

All this blind development has also lead to gravel grinders, more cyclocross bikes and bikepacking. Surely that suits these people that just want peace and quiet without unnecessary excitement
I actually think you've missed the soul of the article.

Land managers are flipping back the other way

moorey

call me Mia
Ok...I actually read the article now, rather then glean the gist based on others comments.

I just hope someone says to him, ‘ok boomer’.

He’s riding nothing like original MTB riders/builders planned or hoped, I reckon. If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the precipitate. Just what we need. More division between riders.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar

It's difficult to reconcile that article with what's happening in Tasmania these days.
I mean mtn biking is just such a positive thing here. Economically, socially, health, community etc...
It's been a bit of fairy tale because it's breathed so much new life into areas that really had nothing going for them.
Sure the whole "enduro-bro" branding is over done....but I think the evolution of bike design has still been about trying to design better bikes that do everything better, not just fit a marketing brief (I admit, others in the industry would know more about this than I)

But...
I can 100% related to the authors' view if I look at it as a parallel to snowboarding.
I started snowboarding when I was about 12 or 13 (around 1990) and it was still actually illegal/banned in many resorts. We used to use self tapping screws to hold the bindings to the boards. A mate used to make his own bindings out of sheet metal & brackets.
We were hated. And it felt awesome. I loved being a snowboarder. It was new and punk as fuck.
But over the years I got more and more frustrated with its culture. And just like mtn biking it attracted weak-as-piss rich kids with no sense of adventure. I nearly went postal when I realised snowboarding was actually feeding a new culture of freestyle skiing!
And then one day I saw an ad on the side of a bus for some lame product with a generic image of a snowboarder plastered across it.
......and I knew it was over.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't

yep, bendigo race is one thing, wait till you yangs gets cut off to mtb, prob one of the 2 (lysty) most ridden places in vic..land managers are jumping ship to quieter pastimes