Ashes#6: On-Eleven Rebred

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Thought the old On-One Inbred was due a makeover and refresh for its 15th birthday.

Originally bought this for bike packing and general trail riding. Did a 6 day stint on the Munda Biddi with it, but then went back to my old dually for trail riding and consigned this to commuting, bmx and family duties, although it did have a run at Kalamunda last year when my Norco was out of action.

Original setup in 2007 was 3x9 Deore XT, RockShox Recon 100mm forks, and Avid BB7 brakes.

In 2013 it was switched to 1x9, Surly rigid fork and Deore hydraulic discs.

2022 rebuild involved:

• full strip to raw and matte clearcoat. Wasn’t trying for a perfect finish, but like how the motley appearance turned out. Be interesting to see how it looks after it inevitably starts to rust through the clear.
  • new wheel build (first for me).
  • 27.5/26 mullet setup to lift the front end a bit.
  • upgrade from 9 to 11 speed.
  • upgrade to XD driver and Zitto 9-42 cassette for more speed.
  • new seatpost and saddle

First shake down ride over 16km this morning to work and loved it. Mullet setup feels better; the rigid fork was slightly lower than the original 100mm suspension fork at sag so this brings it back close to original.

Frame - 2007 On-One Inbred 26er; was white, now clearcoated raw.
Front shock/fork - Surly 1x1
Handlebars - Full On Funn 710mm
Stem - On-One 456 80mm
Headset - Cane Creek
Grips - cheap lock ons
Saddle - Control Tech Lynx
Seatpost - BBB 27.2
Front brake - Shimano Deore m615, 160mm
Rear brake - Shimano Deore m615, 160mm
Cranks - Shimano Deore 3x
Chain - Shimano SLX 11spd
Pedals - cheapies from eBay
Derailleur - Shimano SLX m7000 11 speed
Shifter - Shimano SLX m7000 11 speed
Cassette - Zitto 9-42 steel XD
Front hub - Novatec D791SB qr
Rear hub - Novatec D792SB qr
Front rim - DT Swiss 533d 27.5
Rear rim - DT Swiss 533d 26
Spokes - Pillar Double Betted PSR 2.0-1.8.2.0
Nipples - Pillar Brass 12mm
Tyres - Maxxis Icon 27.5x2.2 front; Maxxis Larsen TT 26x2.0 rear

Some pics of it in its natural environment:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Looks great and I'm partial to a bit of a clearcoat or raw finish.
Good honest build that should keep on keeping on for more than a few upcoming wheel and axle size standards - which is the standard time base to measure of MTB time.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Looks good.
I've just done the same with my steel roadie building it up now. Used ankor wax rather than lacquer on mine, good for 2 years protection apparently.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Looks good.
I've just done the same with my steel roadie building it up now. Used ankor wax rather than lacquer on mine, good for 2 years protection apparently.
Hadn’t heard of that before. Sounds really promising looking at it online; be interested to hear how it goes for you.