International Ashes Challenge

Minlak

custom titis
Fuck me! If @zaf back?

Given I'm working a lot less at the moment I'm eating a lot healthier than I normally do (regular meals, less last minute fried shit at work, less fuck it I'll just get a kebab midnight dinners, and a lot less booze because drinking at home alone isn't really my thing) and I am riding a lot more than usual. I've gained about 4 or 5kg over the last 6 weeks. I'm not sure weight is always the most accurate measure...
It isn't!!!

If you want to actually keep track of it
  1. Establish your base of fitness now (Beep test or regular training loop or something you can repeat in 6 weeks)
  2. Measure - Weight - waist - biceps - chest -thighs - calves etc

If you just want to go by feel stop paying attention to anything and just be you :)

I always know when the weight is creeping up again by how my body feels - when I start to feel shitty I go back to paying attention to my diet.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It isn't!!!

1. Establish your base of fitness now (Beep test or regular training loop or something you can repeat in 6 weeks)
If you just want to go by feel stop paying attention to anything and just be you :)

I always know when the weight is creeping up again by how my body feels - when I start to feel shitty I go back to paying attention to my diet.
I'll be busting out the tape measure when I get home for some private time...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It isn't!!!

Well that's the last time I take your advice @Minlak!!!! I just measured my thighs and at their biggest circumference I got 28.5 inches. If anyone needs me I'll be crying in the garage eating a tub of ice cream and drinking gravy!!!!

Minlak

custom titis
Well that's the last time I take your advice @Minlak!!!! I just measured my thighs and at their biggest circumference I got 28.5 inches. If anyone needs me I'll be crying in the garage eating a tub of ice cream and drinking gravy!!!!
Lol that’s a good arm size don’t be upset.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Quick update:

I’m 152km and 10hours of riding in, and have passed my goal of raising $500. So the Moorey style 6hr challenge is on.

Donations are still welcome and anything donated today will be matched by a sponsor of the charity, so a great time to do it.

Given I’ve already met my target, I’ll add to the challenge by climbing 2m for every dollar donated. So if I hit $750, I’ll do a minimum 1500m vertical in a day. $1000 donations and 2000m vertical would more than likely kill me.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Quick update:

I’m 152km and 10hours of riding in, and have passed my goal of raising $500. So the Moorey style 6hr challenge is on.

Donations are still welcome and anything donated today will be matched by a sponsor of the charity, so a great time to do it.

Given I’ve already met my target, I’ll add to the challenge by climbing 2m for every dollar donated. So if I hit $750, I’ll do a minimum 1500m vertical in a day. $1000 donations and 2000m vertical would more than likely kill me.

View attachment 381557
Excellent work!

I got my blue t-shirt yesterday and my jersey is in the post :)

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Shit is getting real.

Hit 312km for the month this morning and have raised $732 so far. With family pledges still to go in, I’ll end up pretty close to $1,000 I think.

Week ahead is looking like this:

Monday - No ride; AFL 9’s
Tuesday - Easy commute ~12km
Wednesday - Easy commute ~12km
Thursday - rest
Friday - mtb marathon festivus 70+km

Still a bit undecided on how I’m going to approach Friday:

• Original thought was to follow @moorey approach and do a single loop on repeat for 6+hr.
  • Then I was thinking I could ride every trail at the Kalamunda circuit at least once for same time.
  • Or I could do an end to end, starting at foot of the hills, riding to Goat Farm and doing a loop there, taking the Railway trail up to Mundaring, Munda Biddi across to an unsanctioned DH area where I first started building trails in the 80’s, then across to Kalamunda for some more loops there, and possibly heading further out on the Munda Biddi to finish off.

I did say some crap about doing 2m vertical for every $1 donated but that is probably out of my reach now so I’ll just commit to riding as long and far as I can.

Given how generous the Rotorburn members have been in donating to the cause, I’m all for input on what approach I take. Options 2 and 3 both appeal for different reasons.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I vote option 3. It's going to be a big day, and singletrack is very taxing neurologically as well as physically. Breaking these sessions up with (relatively) easy km gains in between, should help you stay switched on when it's needed.
That’s all the reinforcement I needed. Going to be more interesting for my pit crew to move around as well, rather than being bunkered in one spot.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
End to end gets my vote too. If you are going for hours on end a change of scenery helps the kilometres go by. Lockdown before last was a 5km from home deal and being restricted like that meant loops of the same roads. Boring as all hell.