ATAC MTB pedals on a roadie..

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
all my bikes are crank brothers eggbeaters roadi, cx and mtb. works fine and good when ordering latte on roadie rides.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Anyone here run MTB pedals and shoes on their roadie? Do you find it better on your knees and more comfortable for your feet having more float??
I have run SPDs and Time ATAC pedals. My knees seem to prefer Time ATACs. I found SPD pedals needed to have the spring tension wound up a fair bit to stop my feet popping out (which also restricted float, AFAIK), whereas I never recall having that issue with ATACs.
Currently running Speedplay Zero road pedals (a truckton of free float) on the road bike, and the walkable cleat covers. not awesome for walking around, but definitely less skatey and sketchy than old look and Time cleats I've used.

Time ATAC should be fine for your road bike if you are not racing, IMO. If you fit the cleats in the regular way, there is 17deg release angle. if you fit the RH cleat on the LH shoe, and vice versa, you get 13deg release angle IIRC.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I have run SPDs and Time ATAC pedals. My knees seem to prefer Time ATACs. I found SPD pedals needed to have the spring tension wound up a fair bit to stop my feet popping out (which also restricted float, AFAIK), whereas I never recall having that issue with ATACs.
Currently running Speedplay Zero road pedals (a truckton of free float) on the road bike, and the walkable cleat covers. not awesome for walking around, but definitely less skatey and sketchy than old look and Time cleats I've used.

Time ATAC should be fine for your road bike if you are not racing, IMO. If you fit the cleats in the regular way, there is 17deg release angle. if you fit the RH cleat on the LH shoe, and vice versa, you get 13deg release angle IIRC.
I love the ATACs on my MTB. On that I run 13 degrees over 17. I have a set of "EASY" cleats I've put on the roadie. They're 10 degrees release. I'm heading out tonight so I'll see how they go