Atheist's, what got you to your atheism?

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Stephen Hawkings wife apparently had a conversation with him about the Big Bang where she asked him what happened before the Big Bang and what set it off. Stephen apparently answered that it was impossible to know as all the laws of physics break down at that point, to which she replied "Good, so there is still room for a God". A point he couldn't refute.
50 years ago? Yeah. 20 years ago? Maybe... Bubble universes and eternal inflation theories have been around since the early 80s. There are a few good testable theories out now dealing with what came before the big bang (Big Bang theory was put forward by a catholic monk by the way). Laws of Relativity break down if you apply them to the instant after the big bang. However at those sizes and energy levels quantum physics takes over anyway.

The BICEP 2 images are showing up things that strongly support pre Big Bang inflation and/or fluctuation. Several things have been predicted, which if they can be backed by observation will strengthen these theories further.

Does any of this absolutely refute God? Nope but they do make the concept of a god less (or even un) necessary. So if the universe didn't need the god to start up and the god hasn't seemed to have any direct influence since it did start is the god really a god?

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not a very even number across the fields = " included 510 Muslim, 280 Christian, and 323 nonreligious children."

Last edited:

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did you read it? A cursory glance says to me, 'their 'study' says this, but our anecdotes say otherwise'
The average Australian gave $288 to charity in the year to June 2014. Those who did not identify with a religion donated on average $221 while those who identified with a religion gave an average of $331.
Cash money talks.

The rest could probably be dismissed.

moorey

call me Mia
My uncle is Assembly of God. 15% of his income was meant to go to the church. Preacher was rich as fuck, buildings were magnificent, but I know of no charitable work the church did, outside of its own interests.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does any of this absolutely refute God? Nope but they do make the concept of a god less (or even un) necessary. So if the universe didn't need the god to start up and the god hasn't seemed to have any direct influence since it did start is the god really a god?
....and even if it doesn't refute absolutely a god it sure makes the idea seem incredibly piss weak in comparison.

Spiny Norman

Likes Bikes
Stephen Hawkings wife apparently had a conversation with him about the Big Bang where she asked him what happened before the Big Bang and what set it off. Stephen apparently answered that it was impossible to know as all the laws of physics break down at that point, to which she replied "Good, so there is still room for a God". A point he couldn't refute.
That's called a "God of the Gaps" argument. They're just getting something that's currently unknown and stuffing a supernatural explanation onto it. The correct answer is "I don't know".

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah that's a good comeback, Stephen wasn't quick enough on his feet with that one. I think there'll always be gaps. Which someone will no doubt argue is further evidence of God's existence. It's a circular argument.

The whole "I don't know" logic really should apply to the question of God's existence. Agnosticism FTW.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah that's a good comeback, Stephen wasn't quick enough on his feet with that one. I think there'll always be gaps. Which someone will no doubt argue is further evidence of God's existence. It's a circular argument.

The whole "I don't know" logic really should apply to the question of God's existence. Agnosticism FTW.
Fuck your agnostics. Get your own thread :behindsofa:

OscarWhitbread

Likes Bikes
My uncle is Assembly of God. 15% of his income was meant to go to the church. Preacher was rich as fuck, buildings were magnificent, but I know of no charitable work the church did, outside of its own interests.
GOD = Great O'Mighty Dollar

Had a couple of local churches in my area go up for sale in the last few years, all original buildings, 1 owner... in the most prime locations, all sold for squillions of dollars. Think of the real estate these guys are sitting on.

Then there's that Hillsong mob, you can't tell me that's not a pure money making machine?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GOD = Great O'Mighty Dollar

Had a couple of local churches in my area go up for sale in the last few years, all original buildings, 1 owner... in the most prime locations, all sold for squillions of dollars. Think of the real estate these guys are sitting on.

Then there's that Hillsong mob, you can't tell me that's not a pure money making machine?
Any religion with "Christian" and/or "assemblies of god"in the title is a red flag for me.
All aimed at insecure born again hypocrites, trying to make up for their fuck ups.

Catholic's, orthodox and co are hardly saints but I have seen first hand how little of fuck all the priests and nuns live on. Yeah they own a lot of land but it's not like they will ever sell it..

Last edited: