Atherton Tablelands

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jeez it sucks having to drive a hour up the hill...

:mmph:

The trails are really going well up there. Even the marathon champs last weekend had #6 trail, which was the only reason I rode in the champs.. It certainly wasnt to get a podium..:pound:

indica

Serial flasher
Epic new build on. A rework of the DH track, it's not DH anymore - bad word that one up here - and it is shaping up to be epic.
Looks like a massive BMX track. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fresh tyre tracks.

3rd pic from the bottom. fresh trail, not finished, fresh tyre tracks....hmmm.

Also seen pics of motos roost on the new trails... Man, people are stupid..:mmph:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is the rock feature in the 7th pic? is that a step down over a rock garden?? How big is the gap??

Jeff mentioned there were some big features, how big are we talking. The Slayer is getting keen :)

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
What is the rock feature in the 7th pic? is that a step down over a rock garden?? How big is the gap??

Jeff mentioned there were some big features, how big are we talking. The Slayer is getting keen :)
Dunno what the rock feature is but as for the size of the features...... you know me any thing over a 2 foot gap for me is fooking HUGE!!!

indica

Serial flasher
Mountain bike trail wins $500,000 in Federal funding

So happy with this.

Somewhere between page 30 and

A MASSIVE expansion of the Atherton Forest Mountain Bike Park will go ahead following Federal approval of a $500,000 grant.
"News that the Regional Development Australia Fund has approved Tablelands Regional Council's application for that funding is wonderful to hear," Mayor Rosa Lee Long said.
"This facility has already hosted a national mountain bike marathon championship and won rave reviews, even though it is still not officially open.
"And now this grant will see another 32.45 kilometres of trails added to the complex and also fund signage and supporting marketing materials such as maps and trail information.
"When you look at this in conjunction with the very clear push to bring to entire Tablelands to the forefront as an adventure sports destination and also complimentary projects around the region, we are maturing very quickly indeed."
Councillor Lee Long said that TRC had auspiced the application.
"This has been a truly successful collaboration between Council, Tableland Futures Corporation, Tableland Integrated Mountain Bike Alliance, Tableland Outdoor Recreation Association and the Queensland Government's Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing," Cr Lee Long said.
"I want to recognise the outstanding contribution of the volunteer members of our community organisations TFC, TORA and TiMBA as, without their driving force we may not have achieved so much.
"To get the Park to its present stage TRC has contributed $75,000 and NPRSR $200,000. It has already hosted a national-level event and this will, I believe, take this facility to world-class level.
"And with world mountain bike events coming to the region next year and in 2016, I think the Tablelands will stand out as a premier destination."
The extension will include new trails rated as "more difficult" and "very difficult" along with a linking trail connecting the facility with the Atherton Visitors' Information Centre in the town's CBD.
"Construction is hoped to start in January 2014 and I am sure this project will continue to highlight both how productive collaboration can be, and how great this area is as a mountain-biking destination," Mayor Lee Long said.
http://www.tablelandsfutures.com/fi...ncept_plan_final_report_june_2011_reduced.pdf

So excited about this. Page 40 from the link above has this map...

Big shout out to World Trail for putting together such a great proposal and to all involved. Glad I moved up here.
Smithfield getting a rework for the World Cup. I cannot imagine a better place to live.

morticus

Likes Dirt
I haven't read any of the proposals on whats getting built up there, but is there anything DH orientated? this new track looks like a heap of fun even on a big bike. Am i wrong in assuming its all push back up the hill or long climbs?

I'm stoked for the region, the best thing to come out of atherton used to be the road heading to Tinaroo. unfortunately my wife has decided that we won't be moving back to Cairns as there is too many (psycho bitch ex girlfriends) dickheads around.

Last edited:

indica

Serial flasher
The latest is shuttleable. I will of course post ride reports when it is finished.
THe club is more old man lycra oriented but WT know the score. DH is a dirty word but the descent is where it is at.

morticus

Likes Dirt
Is that because they think Dh rip up trails and what not? Or because there is an older majority that like to think Lycra pulls their overweight stomachs in? I know there is no shortage of DH trails in the region, im just curious as to whether its worth the drive from Cairns if i'm not welcome. I dont have the money to maintain the one bike I have, let alone 2.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is that because they think Dh rip up trails and what not? Or because there is an older majority that like to think Lycra pulls their overweight stomachs in? I know there is no shortage of DH trails in the region, im just curious as to whether its worth the drive from Cairns if i'm not welcome. I dont have the money to maintain the one bike I have, let alone 2.
I think you will find it has more to do with where it is being built. All the new trails are being built in National park. I think the whole initiative is about increasing the numbers of people that are using the parks. They have a concept of a big network of trails that will bring people into the park in a safe environment, and unfortunately the image of Downhill doesn't fit into that concept.

While that may be the case, I think that glen understands the needs within the biking community, which is why he is building a "downward flowing shuttleable track with A line features" ;)

The new track that Indica has been posting shots of is being built on the alignment of the old Downhill track at Atherton, so not much variety for someone looking to come up from Cairns I would think. There are probably 1 or 2 ghetto trails nearby, but all the good stuff is in Cairns and in the range behind it.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Media release - $500 k to be spent!!!

Note the reference to difficult and very difficult trails

http://www.trc.qld.gov.au/news/mountain-bike-trail-wins-500000-fed

Mountain bike trail wins $500,000 in Federal funding
A MASSIVE expansion of the Atherton Forest Mountain Bike Park will go ahead following Federal approval of a $500,000 grant.

"News that the Regional Development Australia Fund has approved Tablelands Regional Council's application for that funding is wonderful to hear," Mayor Rosa Lee Long said.

"This facility has already hosted a national mountain bike marathon championship and won rave reviews, even though it is still not officially open.

"And now this grant will see another 32.45 kilometres of trails added to the complex and also fund signage and supporting marketing materials such as maps and trail information.

"When you look at this in conjunction with the very clear push to bring to entire Tablelands to the forefront as an adventure sports destination and also complimentary projects around the region, we are maturing very quickly indeed."

Councillor Lee Long said that TRC had auspiced the application.

"This has been a truly successful collaboration between Council, Tableland Futures Corporation, Tableland Integrated Mountain Bike Alliance, Tableland Outdoor Recreation Association and the Queensland Government's Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing," Cr Lee Long said.

"I want to recognise the outstanding contribution of the volunteer members of our community organisations TFC, TORA and TiMBA as, without their driving force we may not have achieved so much.

"To get the Park to its present stage TRC has contributed $75,000 and NPRSR $200,000. It has already hosted a national-level event and this will, I believe, take this facility to world-class level.

"And with world mountain bike events coming to the region next year and in 2016, I think the Tablelands will stand out as a premier destination."

The extension will include new trails rated as "more difficult" and "very difficult" along with a linking trail connecting the facility with the Atherton Visitors' Information Centre in the town's CBD.

"Construction is hoped to start in January 2014 and I am sure this project will continue to highlight both how productive collaboration can be, and how great this area is as a mountain-biking destination," Mayor Lee Long said.

indica

Serial flasher
Trail 7, 8 and 9 up next. 7 is an internal loop from Ridgey Didge, 8 is access from the golf course joining Ridgey, and 9 is from the Saddle to 3 ways to join the (not) DH. Epic stuff.

Mun

Squid
Hi guys,

I'm from Townsville and am keen to come up and try some of these trails! I have researching them on the net and they look great. Is it ok to just rock and ride or do you need to arrange it first? The kids are into BMX and i was thinking of making it a long weekend of camping, BMX and mountain biking?

Regards

Mun

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mt. Baldy is like Douglas. It's open to the public all the time. Like any network, a little bit of local knowledge makes for a better ride experience.

Send Indica or jeffgre_6163 a PM to see if they are up for a guide.