Australia Day, is January 26th the right day?

stirk

Burner

Ever heard of Jacinta Price?

The well known Aboriginal politician?

She is Aboriginal and expresses views that dont fit your narrative - is she a racist also?

And yeah, I know an Aboriginal where I work - nice enough bloke, got to where he is through education and hard work.

So "Stirk' , gont give me shit about having discriminatory views - Ill take the opinion of Jacinta Price, who knows the issues facing her community, rather than activists....
I'll be an adult and form my own opinion.

You are not worth my time.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
She is Aboriginal and expresses views that dont fit your narrative - is she a racist also?
No. Or maybe. Who knows?

What you're illustrating so concisely, and what has caused - and continues to cause - so much damage, is the paternalistic perspective of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians as being a homogenous entity. The idea that "they" should be happy with what they've got. "They" should be thankful. That "they" can't be trusted to administer their own social programs. Aboriginal Australians routinely have to be perfect and "fit the narrative" of the good, quiet, and thankful subjects of the Crown, and if they happen to disagree with each other on how best to move forward, well that's just proof that they're too unruly for self-determination anyway.

Anglo Australians love to point to a single Aboriginal Australian, like you just did, with no understanding of that person's context, their position in their community, their personal experiences or otherwise and say "See!?".

Maybe instead of looking for gotchas, you should take some time to consider what it is that so offends you about acknowledging that it's pretty shit how our forebears committed atrocities that continue to impact generations of the oldest living civilisation on earth.

Mr Adonis

Likes Bikes
Anglo Australians love to point to a single Aboriginal Australian, like you just did, with no understanding of that person's context, their position in their community, their personal experiences or otherwise and say "See!?"
What part was she wrong about though?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Thank you - also impressive is how some people tend to ignore what Jacinta Price is talking about. Again, doesnt fit the narrative..
Fits yours just fine though.
Perfect example of cherry picking a point, exactly the same thing i'd expect to see from an anti vaxxer or climate change denier. nevermind the 99%, its the 1% that loosely fits my perspective thats definitely correct and i'll go a long way to draw a conclusion from it.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
If you're going to hold Jacinta up as your trump card, I'd suggest you take a look at what happened between her and Nova Peris this time last year.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Is it just me that sees the irony of a bunch of privileged white people arguing about what's best for indigenous people?
It's actually white people arguing with other white people about their conscious and unconscious biases and trying to educate them about it. Pretty sure anything that's been mentioned in support of indigenous people has been already well established and documented WITH consultation of said people.

It's hard to argue that removing barriers, disadvantages and acknowledging the hurt isnt something that is best - for anyone.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Is it just me that sees the irony of a bunch of privileged white people arguing about what's best for indigenous people?
there probably would be irony in that.

not sure i see anyone arguing whats best for them though? more arguing that if this celebration offends some of them, maybe we could think about not being cunts about it and make a small change to help us all live with a bit less angst.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
It's actually white people arguing with other white people about their conscious and unconscious biases and trying to educate them about it.
Would also add more broadly that reducing the use of the term 'racist' and talking more about what conscious and unconscious biases are (and how to avoid them) would probably do a lot to diffuse some of these issues.

nathanm

Eats Squid
there probably would be irony in that.

not sure i see anyone arguing whats best for them though? more arguing that if this celebration offends some of them, maybe we could think about not being cunts about it and make a small change to help us all live with a bit less angst.
aren't we arguing about changing the date because it offends Indigenous people? plus the usual segway into various other arguments on related subjects? Whilst everyone's entitled to an opinion (Edit: actually some people fucking well shouldn't be entitled to an opinion) and there's been good or bad ones posted here I feel this discussion is completely unbalanced without an actual indigenous voice. Everyone seems to be giving their opinion based on what they've seen or overheard or experienced and mostly just because its the way public opinion is moving in the modern age. If youre not indigenous then how the actual fuck do we know what its really like for them?

as for not being cunts, that's a sentiment ill get behind every day.

Mr Adonis

Likes Bikes
It's hard to argue that removing barriers, disadvantages and acknowledging the hurt isnt something that is best - for anyone.
Agreed - I guess im just old school in that, If I want to get ahead, Ill do it through hard work and self determination...
Anyway, im done on this topic - ive been called here racist, dinosaur, having white privelege, etc anything else I have missed? lol

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
aren't we arguing about changing the date because it offends Indigenous people? plus the usual segway into various other arguments on related subjects? Whilst everyone's entitled to an opinion (Edit: actually some people fucking well shouldn't be entitled to an opinion) and there's been good or bad ones posted here I feel this discussion is completely unbalanced without an actual indigenous voice. Everyone seems to be giving their opinion based on what they've seen or overheard or experienced and mostly just because its the way public opinion is moving in the modern age. If youre not indigenous then how the actual fuck do we know what its really like for them?

as for not being cunts, that's a sentiment ill get behind every day.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but my impression has been that indigenous aussies have been calling for this, and whitey whitefolk have been getting behind it because we know that not a thing is going to happen if there isn't a vocal majority approving. Indigenous Aussies are never going to be a majority. They need the do-gooders support.

I believe i've stated that i dont care when we celebrate. But some do, and I feel pretty strongly that it's shit to keep on doing it when its so bloody easy to put a bit more thought into the event. Pick a different date and think about a rebranding. It's not going to fix everything, but it'll make enough people happy(er) to be worth the effort.