Australia Day, is January 26th the right day?

moorey

call me Mia
Ok, just googled him. Apparently he sportses good. Good on him for posting that. Will no doubt cost him some Aussie followers.

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
All this talk here of moving the day around is exactly the same thing that is happening all over the country. We may think of ourselves and our peers as enlightened and modern thinkers, making a difference by acknowledging that indigenous people went through shit on the way to getting to the year 2021 but we’re just another bunch of white guys pretending that changing the “brand name” makes any fucking different at all.
Our prime minister stood in front of a nation and delivered a sincere apology for the treatment of our nations first people and still, as white people, we are guilted into making “the first steps” to reconciliation.
The nation’s first people need legitimate representation at a federal level to inform all of us ignorant and entitled whities what is the best thing for their people and ensure that it’s accepted and embraced for the betterment of the nation.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
All this talk here of moving the day around is exactly the same thing that is happening all over the country. We may think of ourselves and our peers as enlightened and modern thinkers, making a difference by acknowledging that indigenous people went through shit on the way to getting to the year 2021 but we’re just another bunch of white guys pretending that changing the “brand name” makes any fucking different at all.
Our prime minister stood in front of a nation and delivered a sincere apology for the treatment of our nations first people and still, as white people, we are guilted into making “the first steps” to reconciliation.
The nation’s first people need legitimate representation at a federal level to inform all of us ignorant and entitled whities what is the best thing for their people and ensure that it’s accepted and embraced for the betterment of the nation.
a date change is tokenistic for sure, but i'd say it means a bit to enough people to warrant the change. and the change wont happen without the support of the inner city lefty hipster whiteys, so might aswell embrace it.

if someone starts a movement to get representation at a federal level, i'll probably support it (i say probably because we're all human still, and i'm not supporting the indigenous equivelant of pauline hanson). point me in the right direction and i'll get my entitled white ass off the couch ;)

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
hold the phone, i've been informed that australia day is actually celebrated because of some documents being signed on jan 26 1949, nothing to do with the europeans dropping by 150 years before at all! with this new information i think its safe to say there's no need to change the date, as you were, these whingers can just harden up :p

https://www.aap.com.au/no-this-is-not-the-real-reason-australia-day-is-celebrated-on-january-26/
(i've been poking bookface users about this all day, so much fun! :D)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
In a way similar to flow. I was in sort of country Qld. Nearest city was about an hour away and Brissy even further. We had a number of aboriginal families in the town and I went to school with two boys and a girl from different families. One boy was the class clown in every subject. Was considered hopeless and dumb. The others worked their bums off and did well. It took me some years to realise that the class clown was not dumb, was an incredibly intelligent and talented person who had no fucks left to give because of his homelife. He copped it badly at home from all sides. The ignorance of youth as students but also that of the school is astonishing. I didn't know any better but the school should have. I recall him leaving Chemistry for counselling sessions and laughing about it and how he made up different stories to suit different counsellors.

I last caught up with him some 20 years ago so nothing current but he was on his own and doing nicely, low stress and happy.

I am sad I was a cunt like everyone else and just ignored him for the most part, too tied up in my own world.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Australia Day is every day if you fully realise and accept where our country came from and the price* some people have paid for us to be here.

* Price may vary considerably and not in accordance with inflation or accepted history. Some payback is.... inevitable.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The interesting thing is all the folks that aren't white or brown (well most of the brown folks as well actually) generally have absolutely zero interest in this. A lot of migrant folks, or descendants of fresh migrants basically have no idea what all the fuss is about. For them someone coming in to take you country over is a fact of life and that's why they packed up and came here.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The day selected for celebrating what it means to be Australian has to change. While such celebrations continue to be held on a day that ostracises indigenous Australians there can be no real unity, no healing, and no progress. This debate isn't particularly new and the political strategy of division has thus far triumphed, for shame.

As for when to hold it...somewhere in the middle of a long boring school term. Nothing captures the attention of kids like a public holiday! This can be leveraged to improve our education of young people around building an inclusive Australia. One that fosters diversity and celebrates cultural differences while steering us away from divisiveness and hatred.

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
In a way similar to flow. I was in sort of country Qld. Nearest city was about an hour away and Brissy even further. We had a number of aboriginal families in the town and I went to school with two boys and a girl from different families. One boy was the class clown in every subject. Was considered hopeless and dumb. The others worked their bums off and did well. It took me some years to realise that the class clown was not dumb, was an incredibly intelligent and talented person who had no fucks left to give because of his homelife. He copped it badly at home from all sides. The ignorance of youth as students but also that of the school is astonishing. I didn't know any better but the school should have. I recall him leaving Chemistry for counselling sessions and laughing about it and how he made up different stories to suit different counsellors.

I last caught up with him some 20 years ago so nothing current but he was on his own and doing nicely, low stress and happy.

I am sad I was a cunt like everyone else and just ignored him for the most part, too tied up in my own world.
So you say that the school was ignorant but he was taken from class for counseling, he chose to make a joke of it when people were trying to help. I know quite a few people in the social services industry and all of them are there trying to make a difference to people’s lives. You can lead a horse to water but if it doesn’t want your water because you’re white, what do you do then?
Sounds to me like you were a typical teenager dealing with growing up just like everyone else in the world. Should you have gone to his house to correct the behaviour of his abusive family? Should you have been his friend, even if he was (not saying he necessarily was) a dickhead?
This shame you feel for being white skinned is damaging to your own psych as well as being unproductive for the plight of indigenous people.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
A lot of migrant folks, or descendants of fresh migrants basically have no idea what all the fuss is about. For them someone coming in to take you country over is a fact of life and that's why they packed up and came here.
Thats because most migrants are as racist as most Australians.

moorey

call me Mia
Well I’m glad we can all be bundled in together. It is easier if we just assume all non-indigenous are racist.
While he painted with a wide brush, I’ll add my personal observations/generalisation of growing up in a small country town....

“white” Aussies seemed more racist against indigenous people, and just generally more broadly racist against new Aussies. There were particularly trends. Though. It was the Greeks and Italians in the 70’s, Asians in the 80/90’s, and seemingly more against Middle Eastern people now.
Immigrants I knew, seemed more sympathetic to indigenous people, and had more individualised direction for their racism, mostly related to the the culture and history of their ethnic origin. Again, this is based on a sample of one.
When it comes to the crunch, we’re all racist to some degree whether we like/accept it or not. It’s realising/accepting that, and choosing to act on it or perpetuate it that matters.