Australian Gravity Enduro Series 2014

philson

Cannon Fodder
help

Flights are booked and entry paid for the WA round, we'll be flying into Perth on Thursday morning and I was wondering if there were any locals who wouldn't mind guiding us around the Mt Gunjin trails on either Thursday afternoon or Friday.

WAGE have posted up a nice map http://www.wagravityenduro.org/files/CRC_WAGE_Rnd3_AGES_Rnd4.pdf so these are the trails we are interested in riding before the race.
Hey mate, I maybe able to help you guys out on the Friday, I will be out bunting some sections on Friday and Saturday, but plan on getting some practice in as well.. the local guys are super friendly and there are usually a bunch of guys shuttling most weekends and are happy to fit other riders in when there is room.

Low racing Numbers

I am not sure what is wrong with this National GE Series. It has woefully low rider numbers for a National Event. I think the organisers need to talk to the organisers of the South East Queensland series. In SEQ we have had a sellout number of riders in all 3 events so far and I expect that they will run out of timing chips at the next event in Toowomba and have to cap numbers on entrants. I am thinking of sending my Son to do all rounds of the National series in 2015 but if numbers don't increase I think that I will just save my money and maybe send him overseas to do a couple of the world series races or even some New Zealand races. I know that there is a lot of logistics in putting on this event but I really think it is dissapointing.

Have a look at this link for the results of round 3 from last weekend. http://www.emsaustralia.net.au/events/2014-seq-gravity-enduro-round-3

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Please don't take my criticism the wrong way, this is not meant to be an attack however I find it odd that you are complaining about the number of entries and yet you and your son have not entered a round yet (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this). How can you expect numbers to grow if you don't enter because numbers are low?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll happily travel within Victoria for my chosen racing, but it would take something pretty special for me to commit to interstate travel.
I assume that's the same for most people.

There is not really any incentive to turn up to any 'National' level event.

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
The point of the National Series is not to run huge races but to strengthen and further grow Enduro racing in Australia. We (Alpine Gravity in VIC and Rocky Trail in NSW) run our own state series with very good numbers. Interstate travel is a huge commitment from the riders who race more than their local events and we are aware that there are not massive numbers who want to afford that (yet :)
The National Series is in it's first year and we are very happy how it's all going so far.

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am not sure what is wrong with this National GE Series. It has woefully low rider numbers for a National Event. I think the organisers need to talk to the organisers of the South East Queensland series. In SEQ we have had a sellout number of riders in all 3 events so far and I expect that they will run out of timing chips at the next event in Toowomba and have to cap numbers on entrants. I am thinking of sending my Son to do all rounds of the National series in 2015 but if numbers don't increase I think that I will just save my money and maybe send him overseas to do a couple of the world series races or even some New Zealand races. I know that there is a lot of logistics in putting on this event but I really think it is dissapointing.

Have a look at this link for the results of round 3 from last weekend. http://www.emsaustralia.net.au/events/2014-seq-gravity-enduro-round-3
Hey mate, Thanks for supporting us. EMSA will have some special things coming next year so stay tuned. They will hopefully excite everyone at least on the East coast.

I have done some of the Rocky Trail races, they were heaps of fun and they mix up the format. It is worth giving it a go to see what you think.

LESLIE

Likes Bikes
Hi all.. Philly here. I have followed [All mountain/Gravity Enduro] forums from day 1, have raced almost every NSW/Rocky trail event To me and every one I've spoken to at these events they are great events for many reasons. Great atmosphere, people there to have fun as much as the racing The cost of owning a bike and necessary gear along with travel cost and accomodation let alone time off work can make it difficult Now to race a National series in our great land, albeit a big land, the cost to the pocket as well as time off work is hard.. In three short years our state series has come along way. I am sure the National series will do the same We all would like to race overseas but supporting the local scene is the best way to make it grow and improve Remember riding is fun, racing is fun with mates. Cant wait for Kempsey .....PS Its easier to race an event than run one.

mojomodo

Likes Bikes
Hey mate, Thanks for supporting us. EMSA will have some special things coming next year so stay tuned. They will hopefully excite everyone at least on the East coast.

I have done some of the Rocky Trail races, they were heaps of fun and they mix up the format. It is worth giving it a go to see what you think.
Let's just hope you don't announce your going to do a some National rounds like this year. Nothing worse from a punters point of view when you book flights and accommodation only to find out after hassling the organisers for a month that it's not happening.

http://flowmountainbike.com/post-all/racing-news/racing-south-east-qld-gravity-enduro-hits-the-road/

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Let's just hope you don't announce your going to do a some National rounds like this year. Nothing worse from a punters point of view when you book flights and accommodation only to find out after hassling the organisers for a month that it's not happening.

http://flowmountainbike.com/post-all/racing-news/racing-south-east-qld-gravity-enduro-hits-the-road/
It isn't my company so it isn't my place comment, I just help out in anyway I can because I love cycling and Enduro. The world cup did get slightly in the way.

Last edited:

benmwatkins

Likes Dirt
Numbers

I think having raced two of the events in this current national GE series, that it is starting from the right point, and heading in the right direction. The EMS races in QLD are great and have great numbers, but its been around for about five years. Do you think they had the same numbers as the Enduro World Series in thier first ever season? I wouldnt think so, but thier events are great and that in turn made them grow. It takes time. As a reference, in Victoria the first series of this style of racing saw almost 700 riders take part over five races. In the second series that just wrapped up, almost 2000 riders over the series. So the numbers almost tripled in just the second season. Its not really about numbers, but the point is you have to START some where, and each round riders are enjoying it and word is spreading. Im not sure numbers will triple in the second season of this national series, but I bet you it will be alot bigger with alot more support from both riders and the industry. I had a ball at Glenworth and Fox Creek, regardless of results, and ill race every round I can fit in for the rest of the season and next season, and I know a ton of riders who'll try it for the first time next season too. After all isnt it about riding bikes?

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
After a huge WA round we are heading to the ACT next. This one will be run by us (Rocky Trail).
Registration is open: http://www.rockytrailentertainment.com/events/GravityEnduro-registration.html
We have a rider cap of 220 and do expect to reach it so don't wait too long to sign up.
2 timed sections - neutral rides up - no shuttles.

My plan for the trails is: Pork Barrell/Double Dissolution just because they are so much fun and then something different for the second trail: top of the new DH track to the bridge, Luge and then I am not sure how to get to the bottom at the end. It all depends on how the trails look like when we are heading down there but that's the plan for now.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Before we get too far into the next round I would just like to take a moment to congratulate WA Gravity Enduro on hosting a stellar event last weekend. A big thanks to Steven, Phil and the WAGE crew for making the small minority of us from the other states feel very welcome. The lead up to the event and the entire day ran smoothly except for a small hiccup with the results that was promptly sorted, whomever had the idea for a licensed beer tent at the event center... genius... that was a definite highlight. Out of all of the rounds so far I would rate the WA trails as some of the best especially with the limited elevation available, a perfect mix of 'A' and 'B' line combos meant there was some good time advantage to be made for those who took the risks and I had a blast on "Lovin' Shovels"... probably now one of my favorite all time trails. I am going to give my biggest thank you to the competitors, without your continued support events like these just aren't feasible.

So bring on Round 5 at Stromlo, who else is in?

im agreeing 100% with cokeonspecial.. having grown up in perth it was an easy excuse to go race. the trails where amazing and the guys who where running the event and the builders who where there fining tuning their creations saturday all had so much enthusiasm you couldnt help but get stoked on riding. the timing system, even with the small hitch, was easily the best system ive used in any mtb event. a neat wrist band that over the five runs worked perfectly for me. no card hanging from a rubber band. no moving start gates from track to track. these guys are fairly new to it but have it dialed. if they run a round next year you have to find a way to get there!

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
championship round

Is the Canberra Round a "Championship Round"? or is it just a normal round with point added to the series?