aviation welding australia, any good on mtb fix

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
nar, that's what I asked them to do, my solution. From what little research I have done it appears that aircraft cracks are welded and hold up fine. A few years ago a mate had a cracked motorbike frame (alum) and the repair was to run a weld over the crack, it was never a prob as it was only a hairline one and the bike held up for the years I knew him. I think some things are just worried about too much
the crack was so thin you needed a mag glass to spot it
Ah well...fair enough and good luck. I've seen similar ideas fail, fortunately never in a catastrophic way just disappointing. Worst case you'll have a chance to buy a heavier and even less appropriate xc bike. Keep an eye out for the old kona stabs!

stirk

Burner
It should hold up better than a new Giant Anthem. Saw a sweet stinky for sale recently $300, might still be available, great bike for XC.

safreek

Ah well...fair enough and good luck. I've seen similar ideas fail, fortunately never in a catastrophic way just disappointing. Worst case you'll have a chance to buy a heavier and even less appropriate xc bike. Keep an eye out for the old kona stabs!
karpiel.jpg
If i could raise the $1500ish this would be my next xc bike, from what I gather its the short travel version, maybe only 10 pound heavier than the cove. Life would be good then, no, perfect.

safreek

It should hold up better than a new Giant Anthem. Saw a sweet stinky for sale recently $300, might still be available, great bike for XC.
but I don't wear a skirt, they are only 7" or so arnt they. I like to ride 9" or more:doh: maybe a dress may suit:thumb:

Binaural

Eats Squid
no they didn't, bit of a bummer really as it would of added much needed weight to my rig. Looks like his bloke was trying to melt weight off his frame and went to far

the hairline crack was just under the original weld, photos of crack wont upload from my crappy phone. I plan on heat treating it with a hair dryer if people think that is needed :whistle: I don't think it will be needed with my softcock riding style anyway
What grade of aluminium is it? Some grades are self-tempering and will return to close to initial strength after a period of weeks (where it's wiser to stay off the bike). More common is 6000 series (e.g. 6061) that definitely need heat treating post weld or the weld will stay a major weak point.

http://www.hillbrick.com.au/hillbrick-bicycles/tubing-information/50-about-aluminium

safreek

What grade of aluminium is it? Some grades are self-tempering and will return to close to initial strength after a period of weeks (where it's wiser to stay off the bike). More common is 6000 series (e.g. 6061) that definitely need heat treating post weld or the weld will stay a major weak point.

http://www.hillbrick.com.au/hillbrick-bicycles/tubing-information/50-about-aluminium
Unfortunately it is 6061so should be heat treated but finances mean that is not happening. I will take the chance as it has been welded gusset to gusset.
Just a thought, would a gas ceramic kiln put to the right temperature do the job. I may have access to one of those

Binaural

Eats Squid
Unfortunately it is 6061so should be heat treated but finances mean that is not happening. I will take the chance as it has been welded gusset to gusset.
Just a thought, would a gas ceramic kiln put to the right temperature do the job. I may have access to one of those
I was curious about this, so I looked it up. The temperature is actually not that high; around 176deg C.
Intense do their own heat treatment it in-house and there is a great article on their process here.

Flow-Rider

Burner
If it's already been heat treated you would have to anneal the frame first then start the heat treatment process again. Otherwise you will end up with a frame that's so brittle it will crack everywhere. I haven't had indepth experience with it but I know with heating and quenching, times and temp are critical, get it all wrong the frame will be ruined and most likely look like a banana.

safreek

If it's already been heat treated you would have to anneal the frame first then start the heat treatment process again. Otherwise you will end up with a frame that's so brittle it will crack everywhere. I haven't had indepth experience with it but I know with heating and quenching, times and temp are critical, get it all wrong the frame will be ruined and most likely look like a banana.
in the end I think I will just ride it until catastrophic failure, shall post photos of teeth before and after if failure happens. If it does farkup I think it would just crack and not fail, its not like I am joshie bendem

Flow-Rider

Burner
in the end I think I will just ride it until catastrophic failure, shall post photos of teeth before and after if failure happens. If it does farkup I think it would just crack and not fail, its not like I am joshie bendem
A good welder will know what to do, I wouldn't bother with the heat treatment.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sure it'll be sweet.

Was thinking the same thing.
As much sh1t as he used to get, he's pretty much responsible for redbull rampage as it is today. I think organisers were keen regardless, but he took them out to his riding spots where they first held it, and advised the lines to use. Mad b@stard.

safreek

I always thought that he was a true legend of hero status, word, mad bastard. And he is still alive, shows miracles can happen

T-Rex

Template denier
no they didn't, bit of a bummer really as it would of added much needed weight to my rig. Looks like his bloke was trying to melt weight off his frame and went to far
View attachment 337111
the hairline crack was just under the original weld, photos of crack wont upload from my crappy phone. I plan on heat treating it with a hair dryer if people think that is needed :whistle: I don't think it will be needed with my softcock riding style anyway
Pretty piece of tig welding, but based on experience of having done a couple of emergency tig fixes at races in years gone by, that will crack again, on the edge of the new weld. Grip would have gussetted it and it would last forever. I recommend you keep a close eye on it, I've seen a head tube let go, and was very glad I was not the rider involved.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm sure it'll be sweet.

As much sh1t as he used to get, he's pretty much responsible for redbull rampage as it is today. I think organisers were keen regardless, but he took them out to his riding spots where they first held it, and advised the lines to use. Mad b@stard.
Some of the most amazing shit ever done on a bike.

Pretty piece of tig welding, but based on experience of having done a couple of emergency tig fixes at races in years gone by, that will crack again, on the edge of the new weld. Grip would have gussetted it and it would last forever. I recommend you keep a close eye on it, I've seen a head tube let go, and was very glad I was not the rider involved.
I think so. The front end coming round and attacking your face isn't cool.