Avid Code or Code R 2011

timrob

Likes Dirt
Was looking at a new set of brakes for the downhill bike, been looking around and have found some pretty promising info on the new code line up! Was wondering if anyone is riding the 2011 gear and what's there opinion? I understand the 2010 had a few issues with stopping power etc, however i think have jumped on the same wagon as Saints with there new 4 pot design.
Seams like a massive price jump from code to code r so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Capone

Likes Dirt
From what i have read and seen, the Code R is essentially an Elixr level with a code caliper. The 2011 Code now fits in with the taper-bore concept in the Elixr series and is said to be on par weigh wise with the old Juicy 7. Spend the extra and get the full codes.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was looking at a new set of brakes for the downhill bike, been looking around and have found some pretty promising info on the new code line up! Was wondering if anyone is riding the 2011 gear and what's there opinion? I understand the 2010 had a few issues with stopping power etc, however i think have jumped on the same wagon as Saints with there new 4 pot design.
Seams like a massive price jump from code to code r so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
codes have always been a 4pot caliper, and have had quite a lot of stopping power, in previous models and current models, the only problem is and this is not just code its the whole avid range, they are a bitch to get running right, they do from stock off the shelf or full build, but buy them second hand or rebleed them and your gonna be scratching your head for ages. i had a set come with a bike i bought and they were running ok, so reblead them, it took me 3x as long to get running right than any other set of brakes ive ever used. ive run 4 sets of hope brakes, different models and swear by them, for power weight looks adjustability (tech levers) and ease of bleeding.

timrob

Likes Dirt
well! i took the plunge after not hearing anything back on Rotorburn and am comfortable enough to give a reasonable review.
I have been running the Code R for little over 8 months (i think) on my Nicolai ION. Im fairly light rider coming in around 75kg with full kit and have so far found them to be everything i require and some. The modulation is definately there, and the 4 pots allows for confident breaking power when you really require it.
The simple elixr lever i find excellent, for both feel and adjustability. They dont have all the dials and bells and whistles that some breaks run but i believe that just allows more air to leak into the system, plus if i smash one of these levers up i believe it will be cheaper to replace/repair.
I purchased mine from my LBS for $340 front + rear including 8" G3 rotors, In my books this is remarkable value! The full Code's are a more more expensive option coming in around $300 an end, with the only difference being the lever.

Tim

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, I was in the same position a couple of months ago and ended up getting the '11 Codes. I'm really happy with them, same modulation as my Elixer Rs, but heaps more power. I think the contact point adjustment thing is a waste of time and not worth more money unless I haven't figured out to use it to best advantage... The Code levers aren't any better than the R levers in my opinion.

And that's an incredibly good deal, If I had seen them at that price when I was buying that would have been a clincher.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
The only brakes I've run for any real length of time were 2 sets of Juicy 5's, and Avid Codes. Every set I've had has been horrible. Constantly need bleeding, really spongey levers just a week or two after a very thorough bleed, and whenever i bled the rear code the oil would be black. I read reviews on MTBR saying people had problems and thought I'd be alright, but my codes were nightmares. Most people who run avid brakes for a while get problems with air in the lines.

I did also had a set of code calipers matched to juicy ultimate levers with braided hoses. These were amazing. Never needed bleeding, felt fantastic, except i broke both levers running into trees on two separate occasions. I think for this reason its the hoses in avids that suck. If you replace the hoses I think you will gain a lot more life from your Avids.

anthonyq

Likes Dirt
my new operator came with the code r's and they are hell powerful i havent tried the codes yet but i heard theyre pretty good aswell.
you should try out formula the one ive heard theyre crazy powerful and heaps of people r getting into them