Avid Juicy 5's

Dagget

Squid
Hey all ....

I'm a bit new to this so be gentle ...

I have a Stumpjumper with Avid Juicy 5's and a bit worried that something is not quite right ...

The rear makes a godawful noise when applied , which I've found out can be reduced a fair bit by installing organic pads .
No worries ...

The front however is very quiet on metallics , but is way over powered in my opinion.
1 finger gentle squeeze wheel locks ...
There doesnt seem to be a feather point, its just on or off ...

Will organics help this too, of is there a way to adjust this so that they are a bit more " gentle " ?

Cheers

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't have Avid's but the general rule for pads is that organic pads will be quieter and have better modulation (more range of power), but will wear quicker than sintered pads, especially muddy conditions.

Sintered pads are louder and provide a stronger feel.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all ....

I'm a bit new to this so be gentle ...

I have a Stumpjumper with Avid Juicy 5's and a bit worried that something is not quite right ...

The rear makes a godawful noise when applied , which I've found out can be reduced a fair bit by installing organic pads .
No worries ...

The front however is very quiet on metallics , but is way over powered in my opinion.
1 finger gentle squeeze wheel locks ...
There doesnt seem to be a feather point, its just on or off ...

Will organics help this too, of is there a way to adjust this so that they are a bit more " gentle " ?

Cheers
Have you bleed the rear . Howling brakes are from two thing . 1 is a bad bleed .

mhuth1

Likes Dirt
you also might have gotten something on your pads or rotor, causing the brake to be contaminated. That might be why it wont lock up and gives u a more modulated feel.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
you also might have gotten something on your pads or rotor, causing the brake to be contaminated. That might be why it wont lock up and gives u a more modulated feel.
Uh...wut?

His front brake is too powerful and his rear is just loud. Contamination could cause noise but is more likely to impact negatively on braking performance.

For the rear brake, it's highly likely the metallic pads have glazed over. Quickest way around this is to remove your pads and scrape them on a concrete surface, just to 'rough them up'. Also, check that the caliper is aligned correctly. Easiest way of doing this is to undo the bolts holding the caliper to the brake adapter (only sightly such that you can only just wiggle the caliper). With the brake lever depressed, tighten the bolts back up. Done.

The front brake sounds like it is certainly lacking in the modulation department - something that is somewhat difficult to control with disc brakes (if compared with V-brakes). Just be aware that it is normal for the front brake appear more powerful than the rear since as you slow down, the deceleration causes a transfer of mass forward onto the front wheel, increasing traction etc. Modulation is generally attributed to pad compression, flex in the hoses, air in the lines among other things (if only there was a way to toe-in pads...).

One little trick to try is running a mix of organic and metallic pads in each brake. Organic pads are much quieter and will actually compress during braking, offering a little more 'squish' in terms of lever feel - retaining the organic pad simply means you still have that extra 'bite' over a full organic/resin set up.

I'd also be giving the front (or both) brakes a bleed. You may find this will do the world of good to have appropriate fluid levels in each brake.

*shrugs*

Good luck!

spongebob

Likes Dirt
Dag Metallic pads typically give a more 'on/off' feel and can be 'grabby'.So maybe try organic pads on front also. Are the pistons moving in/out properly? Maybe 1 or both are stuck out. Juicys often get sticky pistons with age. You should be able to push pistons right back until flush with calliper body. If you try this, leave pads in & gently wedge them out with a screw driver or such. Don't push directly on the piston with anything as Juicy pistons are quite fragile. If you aren't sure get em serviced at LBS. These weren't a good brake despite popularity. Plenty of folks found them unreliable & difficult to live with. If they are a continuous pain in the A think about some shimano SLX/XT.