Avid XX brakes

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
Well the rear brake on my giant anthem x 2014 can only move about 5mm and there is rubbing with the pads and disc.

I know this is stupid but on my old avid xo brakes I was able to adjust the pad contact, with the twisty adjuster, where is the one on the XX brakes?

I have looked on there website and in the manual but I get conflicting images and guides to adjust.

Should I just rebleed the line and then adjust?

stirk

Burner
I assume you mean rear brake lever can only move 5mm and there is rubbing of the pad to disc while no brake is applied?

Otherwise from what you originally wrote brakes working great!

Confirm above.
Also did you use a bleed block, are pads worn, lots of caliper piston protruding from caliper? Photo..

Edit: Just realised you may be contributing to the sticky movement....
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...t-I-ve-got-problems-with-my-avids-quot-thread

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Yeah, as above, sounds like you bled with the pistons extended slightly. Open the bleed port, lever the pistons back in with a screwdriver between the pads, and tighten bleed screw. No need to replied as you've likely over pressurised the line.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
They are probably XX World Cup brakes like on my Anthem. They don't have the pad contact adjustment because it saves weight, about 11 grams an end from memory.

stirk

Burner
Yep bleed block is important in the process - I didn't have time to buy a 'proper' bleed block and discovered a feeler gauge is a great bleed block it's a good size for the piston to push against and also allows a very tailored bleed as you can adjust the size of it in tiny increments to make up for pad wear.

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
I assume you mean rear brake lever can only move 5mm and there is rubbing of the pad to disc while no brake is applied?

Otherwise from what you originally wrote brakes working great!

Confirm above.
Also did you use a bleed block, are pads worn, lots of caliper piston protruding from caliper? Photo..

Edit: Just realised you may be contributing to the sticky movement....
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...t-I-ve-got-problems-with-my-avids-quot-thread
yeah sorry it does rub without pulling the lever.

Thing is I have never bled the brakes, they just went like that after a few rides :S

They are probably XX World Cup brakes like on my Anthem. They don't have the pad contact adjustment because it saves weight, about 11 grams an end from memory.
thats lame, who came up with that idea in the RnD team?

stirk

Burner
Sticky pistons not going back in maybe.

Do a bleed and makes sure the pistons are moving freely, also check caliper alignment as this can also cause rubbing.

Good luck.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Common issue with the closed system. Too much fluid. Undo the lever bleed screw & carefully expel a little by pulling on the lever. Quick & dirty fix.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, another here who is annoyed at XX WC's and their lack of pad adjustment. I've had to let a bit of fluid out of the line due to rubbing as well. Fixed that problem, but now there is a lot of free stroke until the brakes start to bite when the brakes are cold. Hopefully for christmas I'll get some M9000 XTR's :)

Ackland

chats d'élevage
thats lame, who came up with that idea in the RnD team?
They're the top of the line XC race brake... a racer doesn't need on the fly adjust, nor do they want the extra weight.... the brake is fit for the purpose it is designed for....

Yep, another here who is annoyed at XX WC's and their lack of pad adjustment. I've had to let a bit of fluid out of the line due to rubbing as well. Fixed that problem, but now there is a lot of free stroke until the brakes start to bite when the brakes are cold. Hopefully for christmas I'll get some M9000 XTR's :)
Again... they're the WC denoted brake.... lightweight = no extra pad adjuster bits

Why would you get XTR's? Is Santa out of coal?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
As Ackland says, they're XC race brakes. XC whippets are not interested in convenience nor comfort.

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
If they only measure 11g (22g all up) Im pretty sure they can make that up with lighter screws...

Looks like ill switch to XO's or XTRs