Avoiding erosion?

WBA92

Likes Bikes
Hi guys

I'm fortunate enough to live on a couple acres & am about to commence building a line going across the hill. It's going to have a small roller at the top, heading into roughly a 10-15ft speed check double that'll land into a sweeping berm. This will then shoot you out to what will be approx a 30ft table. For those who have been there, my vision is to replicate something similar to the "Mini Freeride" line at Boomerang Farm on the GC. Again, I'm fortunate enough to have a neighbour that's an earthmover who will come round with the excavator to dig down into the dirt to build the aforementioned features.

My one concern is erosion in heavy rainfall - does anyone have any tips & tricks as to the best way to avoid this? There are quite a large number of trees on either side of where this track will be built (I had to go through with a chainsaw to clear a fair few to make the track wide enough to begin with). It's my understanding that the trees & associated roots will assist in preventing erosion?

One suggestion I've had is to buy some soil so that some of the features can be "built up" rather than using the excavator to dig down to create the necessary lips etc. However, I would prefer not to do this as I will already be having to pay $$$ for my neighbour to come round anyway, so would rather not have to purchase more soil. Plus, I feel that everything will be much easier to build without having to worry about packing too much extra soil down.

Any help would be great :)

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi guys

I'm fortunate enough to live on a couple acres & am about to commence building a line going across the hill. It's going to have a small roller at the top, heading into roughly a 10-15ft speed check double that'll land into a sweeping berm. This will then shoot you out to what will be approx a 30ft table. For those who have been there, my vision is to replicate something similar to the "Mini Freeride" line at Boomerang Farm on the GC. Again, I'm fortunate enough to have a neighbour that's an earthmover who will come round with the excavator to dig down into the dirt to build the aforementioned features.

My one concern is erosion in heavy rainfall - does anyone have any tips & tricks as to the best way to avoid this? There are quite a large number of trees on either side of where this track will be built (I had to go through with a chainsaw to clear a fair few to make the track wide enough to begin with). It's my understanding that the trees & associated roots will assist in preventing erosion?

One suggestion I've had is to buy some soil so that some of the features can be "built up" rather than using the excavator to dig down to create the necessary lips etc. However, I would prefer not to do this as I will already be having to pay $$$ for my neighbour to come round anyway, so would rather not have to purchase more soil. Plus, I feel that everything will be much easier to build without having to worry about packing too much extra soil down.

Any help would be great :)

It's simple.

erosion.jpg

In overview, regular reverse grades are provided by trail features. These reverse grades, combines with a slight inward bevel of the trail surface, direct water into a drain and towards sediment traps (which are located at low points). Each sediment trap contains an elevated drain opening, with the drain extending beneath the trail surface, distributing water onto debris on the low side of the trail. Blue arrows indicate general rain water dispersion movement.

Feature degradation may additionally be mitigated for dirt features by covering takeoffs (and in some cases landers). A common approach in informal facilities has been to use second-hand carpet and rugs as such coverings, and this has proven to be quite effective. General household and commercial carpets tend to be effective in greatly reducing the rate of lip and landing degradation due to both rain and prolonged dry periods.