Azonic T1 oldschool dually build

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I knew going to the Deus Ex swap meet was a bad idea, especially when I came home with this...

It was calling my name, the shiny red finish and smooth welds were begging for attention. Hanging there at the CBD stand, you could see others interested in it but were scared to ask how much.
With intentions of leaving but not without taking a final look, the small details showed up and made known that it was my type of bike. Courage was mustered as I knew I wanted it but didn't want another impulse buy, when I asked for a price the reaction was > :eek: and off to find an ATM I ran.
It was a bargain! Those who saw me with the frame after asked the price and reacted the same as I did - oldschool boutique like this usually isn't cheap, and pondering prices usually leads to purchase even if it is too much, as there's always a way to justify another bike.
Before the money was handed over a build kit was already dreamt up, and I'll piece it together over the next months once study workload drops.

For now, let's drool over the details...
True Temper cromoly frame :cool: Breezer dropouts :cool: No disc mount, and a cable stop for canti's (what are they, I hear some ask :D) URT rear end is begging for singlespeed, and the top tube length is promisingly close to what I like right now. The swingarm pivots on bushes with nicely machined links and shafts holding it together, this is way old virtual pivot technology! I'm guessing 94-96 vintage, but can't find info online and it's the first I've seen so am happy to be corrected and informed of the bike's history by anyone that knows.

My intention is to build it as my primary offroad machine - if it's capable, of course. Money problems have been giving me the idea of selling off my Trance X as it's never been ridden properly since purchasing 10 months ago, so dumping all the new gear on ebay and stepping back in time will be a refreshingly practical change right now. Will throw some parts on it soon and see how it goes, if it rides well I'll be happy to sell everything else.
The Noleen shock will be dumped for a Fox air unit hopefully, space is a bit tight there though. I have an old Z1 that'd go great up front, and will keep the bare essentials such as Thomson stem+post and XT cranks from the new bike for this, a cable disc for the front and V for rear is the way to go (to keep matching levers) and there's even a pair of old Deep V rims in my garage waiting to be built up.
Let's see how this goes, hopefully the ideas still make sense once I catch up on sleep and get over the initial glow of such a purchase.
Subscribe to this thread to see the bike progress, it'll be worth your attention ;)

jackthewolverine

Likes Dirt
Oh, Thats soo nice,
So how much was it in the end??
And how much travel has it got now, Doesn't seem like much,
Any way ride it hard.

addmin

Likes Dirt
nice frame.....

offtopic but was the swap meet worth going?
I couldn't go because i had school sport :mad:

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
Great find mate!

Its going to be wicked when it is done keep it classic yeh?

And the bike will pedal like a hardtail im sure you already know that but what baffles me is when you take big hits the BB is situated on the chainstay and so when you hit a big bump most of the shock will still travel up your legs. .... Now that i think about it legs can take a beating but what about staying seated will the suspension still work as most modern sus bikes now?

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice find, I'll dig out some information for you if I can locate it.

Z1 may be a little long, but you may get away with it.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And the bike will pedal like a hardtail im sure you already know that but what baffles me is when you take big hits the BB is situated on the chainstay and so when you hit a big bump most of the shock will still travel up your legs. .... Now that i think about it legs can take a beating but what about staying seated will the suspension still work as most modern sus bikes now?
The rear axle rotates quite well around the BB still so the susspension movement is pretty good even when seated.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice find, I'll dig out some information for you if I can locate it.

Z1 may be a little long, but you may get away with it.
That'd be awesome, I'd like to know a bit about it.
The fork may be spaced down, depending how the bike rides - I have a variety of cut springs that'll give me 5/4/3" of travel. No big deal, long term goal is to stick a RS U-turn assembly in it anyway :cool:

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I received an instant "reply to your thread" email, and the next email underneath was "don't settle for less than 9 inches". Nah, 3" will be fine for me ;)

Fucken shock leaked oil all over my desk :mad:

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That'd be awesome, I'd like to know a bit about it.
The fork may be spaced down, depending how the bike rides - I have a variety of cut springs that'll give me 5/4/3" of travel. No big deal, long term goal is to stick a RS U-turn assembly in it anyway :cool:
The easiest way to space an old 100mm Z1 down (which is what I thought you had in mind) is put 80mm Z2 springs in them and run a spacer on the rebound side.

The noleen shock is rebuildable so that could be an option worth exploring too.

Kernal Klink

Likes Dirt
Vintage!!!
the pivot on it is so weird, looks like it push the horizontally into the seat tube rather then actually pivoting!!! But yeah mate, nice one. Should build it up with Spin Carbon rims, azonic DH bars etc.. hahahahaha j/k

i can remember when that came out and everyone was trying to get one, many many eons ago now, will be very interesting to see it built up and going, even better if you could source parts from the same era

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah you shouldn't have, you would've spent excessive money on silly bike things like the rest of us did ;)

Think I scored an air shock for this today, and have rounded up most of the parts to build it up to a spec worthy of such a frame. Just waiting for TAFE to finish this week, I'm looking forward to seeing just how it rides :cool:

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New bikes will never be satisfying. Looking forward to seeing how the bastard turns out :cool: :)

beepbeep

Cannon Fodder
Sweet frame, just found this post searching for Azonic T1, how's the build going?

Here's a photo from an old MBA test for a little inspiration... ;)

Attachments