B-Lines??

retro racer

Likes Dirt
Ok vets,
for the DH dudes. Do you take the b-line or go big?
I take the b lines on some occassions because i have not found a gum tree with some flex to it yet.:(

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Ok vets,
for the DH dudes. Do you take the b-line or go big?
And dudettes

Yes, I take the B lines. But I am working up to the doing some of the bigger ones.

In my earlier racing career (7 years ago) I would get off the bike and walk sections in a race. Now, either they are making the tracks better or I am getting better, I can (usually) at least ride everything on a track.

What I'd like to do is soar and go big. But my end goal is to have fun without a hospital visit. This approach takes a lot of time to build up the skills necessary to do so - go big without crashing.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I unfortunately have a few a lines yet to smash.. although i haven't had many sessions out where these said a lines are, so workin up to them. But as cypher said, don't need a (nother) visit to hospital any time soon!!

4dabush

Likes Dirt
B lines around the bigger jumps, but A lines pretty much everywhere else, but I'm not on a DH bike, not yet anyway. As mentioned above, i want to have fun without an ambulance ride!

gregb

Likes Dirt
Pretty much same here.

I do look down some descents and think how I would have attacked it a decade or two ago, then sneak down the B. Discretion is the better part of valour.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
mostly A lines, but raced for a few years

never done the first jump off the 'triple treat' at Canberra, but crashed the last one plenty of times!!

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mostly A lines, but raced for a few years

never done the first jump off the 'triple treat' at Canberra, but crashed the last one plenty of times!!
I did all three at this years state round. I had them all dialed and was happy, but then had a huge crash in my race run on the last jump over the rock.

Cuthbert

Likes Dirt
Can't really be general about this, depends on the track. The A lines on one track could be far more tamer than the B lines on another....

But if you're going to try to hit something new that's a bit out of the comfort zone, you should only ask yourself 2 things. Is my ability good enough & am I confident enough. Using age itself as a reason not to is not a legitimate excuse IMO....

What's an a-line?

I find every b-line possible and even a c-line if there is one.

I've had enough broken bones from riding and racing that I don't really want to end up in the back of an ambo again.

Still have to go to work on monday.

B-lines rule ( if thats ok with everyone)

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's an a-line?

I find every b-line possible and even a c-line if there is one.

I've had enough broken bones from riding and racing that I don't really want to end up in the back of an ambo again.

Still have to go to work on monday.

B-lines rule ( if thats ok with everyone)
I can't help but find the irony in your name, BBB.

jumpers

Likes Dirt
If i not confident i will take b line any day - i am not out to impress anyone and as prev stated i have go to work on Monday. Personally i think whatever makes you enjoy your ride is what you should do - dont care what others think.
Do what feels comfortable. I know heaps of youngsters that hassle me about taking b lines - yet if they followed me into the surf they would be scared as....
As a fellow great vet i ride with says.."there aint no a line i cant push..."

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Walk today and ride tomorrow.
I used to get caught up with what I call "the big dick game".
Who's the fastest, can jump the highest and furthest, take that gnarly line down the mountain.
After a few major injuies I've reassessed my priorities in life.
Its amazing how quiet and meaningless your life becomes while your sitting around waiting for your bones to heal. Mountain biking is my sport and recreation and nothing more.
I don't gain my self worth and importance from my riding, my job and career does that.
I'm not willing to risk that for some juvenile dare or 5 minute thrill.
There is no shame in taking B or C lines by wheel or foot.

tumble

Likes Dirt
Only 2 or 3 A-lines left in SEQLD that I haven't hit & I plan to hit all by the end of this season.
I only just qualify as a Vet though so there's only a small amount of self-preservation creeping in.

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Who's the fastest, can jump the highest and furthest, take that gnarly line down the mountain.
Its amazing how quiet and meaningless your life becomes while your sitting around waiting for your bones to heal. Mountain biking is my sport and recreation and nothing more.
I don't gain my self worth and importance from my riding, my job and career does that.
Very well said!

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Yep, agree with all that.
If I'm confident I'll tackle it, if I'm not that's when I used to get hurt so now I take the easier way and tell myself I'll have another look next time.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ten years ago when I hit 30, Id maybe hit only 1 B line, but now 10 years on at 40, Im lucky if I hit half the A-lines.
Its all self preservation and fun being the priority now, no one to impress anymore either.
If thertes a nice jump/gap Ill still have a crack to see if I can do it, maybe during practise, but if Im not 110% sure, Ill skip past a big gap during a race.

Cooch

Likes Dirt
A motto that has kept me away from major crashes and injuries:

It's OK to say another day!

I've ridden around 'A-lines' many, MANY times and the funny thing is, after another year or so of progression, you'll go back, take another look and say - yeah, I can do that now.

I love guys in DH Races that feel they have to hit an A-line all the time, then crash while trying to gain a second or so. I always assess the time advantage vs. risk... Save yourself 1 second on a huge step down gap - I'm out. Save yourself 30 seconds on a Gap that you're pretty confident in clearing - then try and hit it. But that's racing.

Riding with your buddies: I'd rather finish the day tired, exhilarated with a big smile on my face and enjoy a beer or two - so yeah, hit the B-lines and have fun! That's what it's all about!

Last edited: