Back from Retirement

Jambo

Likes Dirt
As the title says, i am coming back to the scene. I've had a few years away. Life events took its course as well as change of transport mode: Motorbike, interstate work, travelling.

Been on the back of my mind for the past 6 months but i've finally decided to dig out the kona stinky from the back of the garage. This is the only bike left of my collection as they were sold off to go travelling.

Looks like the stinky will need a bit of work but i'm determined to get it back on the track. I Started to re-build the brakes, but it looks like the easier/beneficial option will be to buy a new set.

The bike has not had any action in about 3 years so is there anything special i need to do to in terms of suspension/hub/bearings etc.. Ill be attempting to pull everything apart for a decent clean and lube.

Most of the parts on this 2005 stinky were upgraded in 2006 when was riding every weekend. (suspension, headset, hangers, seatpost, cranks, deralier, sprockets, bashplate)

Additionally im now living in the Kellyville area of sydney. Are there any decent riding spots with conservative downhill around these parts?
My circumstances have changed since being a die hard MTB fanatic. Im now 29 and support a wife and child so no more daredevil stunts. Ill just be riding for fitness, enjoyment and a little challenge here and there.

cheers

SmokedHam

Likes Dirt
Hi mate, my advice based on a lot of experience buying, upgrading & selling all sorts of brands of bikes, is don't waste your hard earned coin fixing or replacing / upgrading parts on your Stinky as with any brand of used MTB they are not pulling much resale these days. Reasons why? go buy yourself a brand new one, something like a Giant, bikes these days are cheap as! and depending on your discipline either a 6" all mountain to climb back to the top to send her back down or just a straight DH weapon, these's heaps to choice from. For The Riders in Brisvagas are selling some really cheap right now.

But if tinker you want than ignore my rant & enjoy the sport & welcome back!

Cheers.