Back protection

Aerosmith

Likes Bikes
Any one use back protection whle riding XC?
After a weekend incident I will be using a back protector when riding any type of bike from now on and would like some recommendations of what products are out there.

Cheers

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Had to read the title a couple of times, thought you meant bike protection. I've never heard of back protection, especially for XC.

Fair enough, it sounds like you had a decent spill and hurt your back, but honestly i wouldn't say its a common injury. If you're serious about back protection i guess id look more at DH options, XC riders tend to wear as little as possible.

rumblefish

Likes Dirt
Vote 2 for the CamberBak

I had a crash once whist I was travelling down a hill at reasonable speed. My handlebar clipped a vine which spun me around and I went through the air and landed flat on my back. My helmet broke but my back was ok which I think was the result of me wearing my CamelBak. It definitely absorbed the impact. So I would have to agree with mimps and suggest the CamelBak as reasonable protection.

Last edited:

Aerosmith

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys. I havent really got on wearing a camel back, even though I wish I had it on on Saturday. My usual gear is the standard XC attire, ie as little as possible. I was looking at this stage at the POC vest with the back armour.

Cheers

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Seems to me it would be difficult to find something which is effective without being overly hot for XC use.

- Joel

Last edited:

longxc

Likes Bikes
the vid is a bit cheesy and I'm not 100% sure how you use the back protector with the back pack (ie, whether is it built in but removal, or you wear the back over it so effectively two layers).
The vid is a bit misleading hey, but i think they are trying to show that you can wear the protector with out the bag cargo section attached which assumably just zips on.