Back to amputate your legs: The Angry Doctor, 2009

rangie

Likes Dirt
I ran a Racing Ralph 2.25 out back and a 2.4 up front on my 29er SS last year and the combo was great... ran about 28 PSI out back and 33 in front. Ok, so the 28 was a little low (pinch flatted at about 85km) but grip wasn't an issue even on the SS trying to climb up some of those early hills in 33:18.

Unless its been p*ssing down, i'd err on the fast rolling side of the equation - even something like a Furious Fred would work (no centre tread to speak of but side knobs for traction). I'm thinking something like Stan's Raven's would be the gee ohh (crows are just a little 'slick' lookin for me) or perhaps a FF rear, RR front?
Not game to run a FF in front or rear for that matter...feels just a little too flimsy for my taste. Thinking raven front, crow rear on 29r

Did you run your RR tubeless ? 33:18 ideal gearing ?

stickso

Likes Dirt
Last two years its been a bit wet on the single track and stuff (a few muddy sections) which would require some grip on the front for cornering, at the back you need good grip for climbing. Im a fan of the Maxxis Ranchero on the front (slickish centre, gripy on the side) and somthing like a Crossmark on the back (grips ok on the climbs, still rolls pretty fast). id test a few tyres out on climbs, find somthign will the least rolling resistance that will still allow you to climb well.
Cool - thanks for this. I'm pretty happy with the climbing/rolling of the racing ralph on the back. Will probably stick with the NN/RR combo.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Did you run your RR tubeless ? 33:18 ideal gearing ?
I ran 'em tubeless at Dirtworks and admit, I was a little nervous until I got back out onto the fire road - last time I was up there I took out a sidewall. But they held up fine. I've only just got setup to run tubeless so previously was running tubes and found that I tended to pinch flat a bit if I ran em less than 32 psi or so - too much taking the same lines as I would on the dually...

At 33:18 I was able to ride most stuff at the Dr (this is on a 29er) - walked a bit of that grind at the 75km mark or so and the last steep pinch but generally it was ok... of course I may have forgotten large sections of the race through trauma :)

bingobong

Likes Bikes
I ran 'em tubeless at Dirtworks and admit, I was a little nervous until I got back out onto the fire road - last time I was up there I took out a sidewall. But they held up fine. I've only just got setup to run tubeless so previously was running tubes and found that I tended to pinch flat a bit if I ran em less than 32 psi or so - too much taking the same lines as I would on the dually...

At 33:18 I was able to ride most stuff at the Dr (this is on a 29er) - walked a bit of that grind at the 75km mark or so and the last steep pinch but generally it was ok... of course I may have forgotten large sections of the race through trauma :)
Dirtworks is a really brutal course on tyres with all the rocks and the only course I run proper UST tyres (Racing Ralph 2.1 UST Front, Furious Fred 2.0 UST rear). I can't believe how may people I passed fixing flats and punctures on the side of the trail that's a gutsy call running those thin Schwalbe Evo casing tubeless - I'm impressed!.

rangie

Likes Dirt

Thanks, sounds good. Can cope with the odd walk :-(

Mighty brave to run the FF's :) Congrats !

btw. What 29r ?

BT180

Max Pfaff
I think I’ll be running my Dirt Works combo – Maxxis Advantage up front and a Crossmark on the rear. Both in 2.1 size.

They handle Manly Dam pretty well so I reckon they’ll be OK for Mogo. Can anyone confirm?

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You don't need to worry too much about tyres at Mogo - lots of dark loamy soil so pretty grippy.

If, as mentioned, it is really wet then it will get muddy and slippery and then all bets are off. So picking something that sheds mud is probably not a bad thing.

rangie

Likes Dirt
I ride a Cannondale 29er 3 (1FG) but the standard spec on them is pretty pedestrian so its been blinged a little:
Great ride and really comfy.
Nice ride !! Also like the idea of the simplicity of the BB7's. Only have very limited ride on a BB5 and seemed rather nice. From what I have seen (not ridden), the 7's look to be a more refined version. Given how the 5's felt, the 7 look th ebusiness. How do you find these ? Any issues ?

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I really like the BB7's... pretty simple to adjust and keep working and light as - to get a lighter Hydro you need to be running Juilcy ultimates or lighter... much $$$

I have found that at times I wish for something with a little more initial bite and modulation... I find that the point between breaking hard and locking up is a little hard to find reliably and you need a fiar bit of lever pressure as well (makes your hands tired after a while).

But eveything's a compromise and for the $$$ these are pretty amazing - was riding with mates on the 6 ft Track... was glad I was on the BB7s cause the length of the downhill was causing serious brake fade issues on the XC hydro brakes :)

REEKS

Squid
Im in for the 100km for sure, it will be my first 100 but did the mtb50 at nowra recently, and for all those who competed they will be aware of how draining the track was, so im looking forward to some good riding in the Angry Doctor
I did the 101 that day with a stuffed knee, i wanted to curl up into a ball and cry by the time i finished, hated that track n so has everyone ive talked to about it. Angry Doctor on the other hand is awesome, cant wait!!!!

gazzaed

Likes Dirt
I did the 101 that day with a stuffed knee, i wanted to curl up into a ball and cry by the time i finished, hated that track n so has everyone ive talked to about it. Angry Doctor on the other hand is awesome, cant wait!!!!
I must admit that the 50km was the most physically demanding thing i have ever done, probably because i didnt do any practice laps and went way too hard in the first laps. walked the last half of my fourth lap in agony. Didnt place too badly though. Something like 40 of the 70 people who started the 100 DNF'd!

REEKS

Squid
I must admit that the 50km was the most physically demanding thing i have ever done, probably because i didnt do any practice laps and went way too hard in the first laps. walked the last half of my fourth lap in agony. Didnt place too badly though. Something like 40 of the 70 people who started the 100 DNF'd!
yeah i was pretty happy cuz i came 4th in open. the 7 other ppl in that cat were DNF! I heard they had a motocross race on that track 2 wks before. Would explain why the dust (basically quicksand!) was so thick. Poor track selection when scum has like 3 other proper mtb tracks....

rangie

Likes Dirt
I have found that at times I wish for something with a little more initial bite and modulation... I find that the point between breaking hard and locking up is a little hard to find reliably and you need a fiar bit of lever pressure as well (makes your hands tired after a while).
thanks pizzaz, this is what my initial impressions were (on very short ride of the 5's). Like you I like the simplicity of them, hence the question. Run xtr usually and have moved current steed to ultimates for about a year now. The issue appears to be the very small resevoir make bleeding etc critical. The lack of the shimano type rubber bladder on top does not help.

yes, in a longer race one might be struggling for braking due to fatigue.....still tempted to try them though :)

in terms of reliability, have you have any issues at all ?