back to Giant - Question re bottle cage re-positioning

danncam

Likes Dirt
I'm back to Giant with the new large Trance X 29" model 2.
I liked the maestro suspension on my original Trance from back, I think, 2002. After 6 years on a Norco Fluid (which I love) I've gone with a Giant again for my covidpocalyse cheer me up purchase.
Thanks to Bicycle superstore Mornington for sourcing the bike from their Nunawading store. Thanks to Joe at Morno for putting it together, checking it over and making it tubeless from the get go.
Sadly, won't be able to ride it properly till the 5km rolls back. That said, how great it is looking down at that Fox 36 isntead of the slightly noodley Fox 32 on my Norco.
It's a super pretty dark metallic green color with some black.
Happy to stay on Shimano with the SLX group set, with that rear big cog about the size of a 26 inch wheel and a monster (for me anyway) 203mm front rotor.
The only tiny negative I didn't realize till now is it seems to only take a small 600ml bottle.
I did consider the Scott Genius, Norco Optic and Sight, and the Polygon T, but Giant still is good spec and bang for buck, plus no fluoro colours, and a nice foray into a bit more travel and "modern" geo.
Hopefully see some of you out there before too long, maybe another Vic 'burner unlockdown ride?

Attachments

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very nice,
I must admit I got the first N+1 feeling in a while when I saw these come out.
Bet you're looking forward to riding it in anger, would be the perfect weapon for most of Melb's trails.

Shredden

Knows his goats
These bikes are awesome, congrats :D

One thing to watch out for is the bleed on those brakes. I've built a few of these at work, and they all had shocking bleeds out of the box. Luckily very easy to fix.

danncam

Likes Dirt
Very nice,
I must admit I got the first N+1 feeling in a while when I saw these come out.
Bet you're looking forward to riding it in anger, would be the perfect weapon for most of Melb's trails.
Yep, you bet.
Not really needed at lystie, but farkin looking forward to red hill, youies, and anywhere with some steepish trails.

danncam

Likes Dirt
These bikes are awesome, congrats :D

One thing to watch out for is the bleed on those brakes. I've built a few of these at work, and they all had shocking bleeds out of the box. Luckily very easy to fix.
Ta, will do. I'll make sure I get the two free services done. I'm a pretty slack at servicing my bikes, they tend to get some love once something breaks or stops working.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Looks great @danncam! Maybe try a) a side-entry bottle cage or b) a WolfTooth B-rad mount to fit a bigger bottle (not that you should have to, but...).

danncam

Likes Dirt
Does anyone have experience with this bottle cage position adapter. I'd like to fit a fit a large bottle in the trance (and am too tight arsed to want to pay $35 for the wolftooth b rad version). If you have used it, or seen it in use, does it snug tight with the grub screw and not move?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
No idea how that adapter works, but I use a side-loading carbon bottle cage on my Trance X 29er large and it fits the big Camelback bottle without a problem.

teK--

Eats Squid
Just go side loader cage. Or Wolftooth make a good adapter plate that looks more sturdy than the one you posted.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I side load the bronson but I like the idea of that plate... some Al and mill time coming up in a few weeks if I remember.