Back up 29er wheelset

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I need a back up wheelset for my wife and I as we both run boost now. I'm not looking for anything expensive, just something to get us out of trouble if we are doing long events, etc. Like the upcoming Port to Port. I've seen this on Cycling deal and it seems pretty good to me if I can set it up tubeless? I don't know much about the hubs and can't find out much. But at about 2kg for the wheelset minus tyres and tubes the price is pretty good I thought?
https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/wtb-sx19-mountain-bike-bicycle-novatec-hubs-tires/WH-WB-M8-BS
Remember I'm saying backup...

Option 2 is a bit more but still cheap.

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/sun-ringle-duroc-30-expert-bike-bicycle-front-whee/WH-SG-A

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I found the WTB i25 rim to be very soft but they still worked, they held tyres and air quite well. Never owned Novatec hubs but looks like there's lots of spares around for them.

DMan

I found the WTB i25 rim to be very soft but they still worked, they held tyres and air quite well. Never owned Novatec hubs but looks like there's lots of spares around for them.
Could you set it up tubeless?

80JPL

Cannon Fodder
DMan, I purchased the 29er Düroc 35 wheelset from CD and so far am very happy with them. I use them as a gravity/DH set of wheels. Had one flow race and a day at Green Valleys bike park on them.

A little lighter than spank oozy 350’s and a little heavier than Stans flow mk3

For some reason, CD has these wheels at less than half the price of other retailers overseas.

DMan

DMan, I purchased the 29er Düroc 35 wheelset from CD and so far am very happy with them. I use them as a gravity/DH set of wheels. Had one flow race and a day at Green Valleys bike park on them.

A little lighter than spank oozy 350’s and a little heavier than Stans flow mk3

For some reason, CD has these wheels at less than half the price of other retailers overseas.
I'm looking at the Duroc 30 so it's good to know the 35s are holding up for you as a DH set. Certainly more punishment than I'll give them. The reviews I've read have been good too.