Back Yamma Bigfoot 2011 (Entries close Monday 22nd August)

krisko

Likes Dirt
Easily the best and funnest 100ker I have done. Ate a bit off dust on the start with some great riders managing to go so hard for 5ks then almost slowing to a crawl!
Got stuck in the congo line for the entire length of the next single track, wasn't that bad as I felt superfast overtaking what seemed like dozens of riders on the next fire road section.

I just loved how fast all the singletrack was! A couple of tubeless tyre punctures resulted in lost time but I was under 5hours on my cycle computer.
4 1/2 hours would be achievable with no mechanicals and heaps faster at the pointy end! Not bad for a 100ker!

A to Z

Squid
Calories & Kilometres

Done and done! Have ingested about 5000kCal of McDonald's and almost feeling human again.

5hrs at 90% max HR hurts!
Me too, burnt 3247kcal's and ate it all again at Macca's @ Cowra. 6+ hours at 90% hurts more!

Passed a few parked vehicles with bikes up outside the Eugowra Pub and another lot outside the Boorowa Pub on my way back to Canberra..... now there's a good idea to rehydrate!

Nice to see the quicks [above posts] enjoyed the day, the backmarkers also had a blast [just not as fast] a great compliment to the race course [and the organisers]. Skittled a few 'roos, gave the cows a mooo and picked up 8-10 places over the last 20k, mostly young bucks who burnt me off 4 hours before. Most seemed to be leaning up agains trees, gate posts or lying on the ground doing yoga? ..... ahh, today's youth!

102.5k on my clock. The last 2.5 was the hardest!!

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
picked up 8-10 places over the last 20k, mostly young bucks who burnt me off 4 hours before.
Same same. I made sure to stop at 50km, eat, drink, clean and lube chain, grab more food and change bottles. That 5 min I was in transition I counted probably 10 or 12 riders scream through and not stop. I'd passed all of them by the 70km mark.

Sometimes you need to slow down to go faster.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Same same. I made sure to stop at 50km, eat, drink, clean and lube chain, grab more food and change bottles. That 5 min I was in transition I counted probably 10 or 12 riders scream through and not stop. I'd passed all of them by the 70km mark.

Sometimes you need to slow down to go faster.
I passed a dozen riders in the feed zone. No-one passed me in the last 50 kms. Sometimes you've got to go fast to go fast.......

JD26

Likes Dirt
Standout things from the race:
  • Strength of Jeebus (Bellchambers). Dude is a machine.
  • Getting coated in mud after Ed rode through the only puddle on the course.
  • Racing kangaroos along fireroads
  • Catching up with my brother and family at a race (haven't done that since 1991)
  • Big crew from Canberra making the trip up
  • Phil Tucker getting his Katy Perry CD from the car and putting it on the stereo at the restaurant Sunday night
  • Monday morning recovery breakfast (pancakes and icecream) and coffee in Parkes
  • Excellent race organisation and event layout
  • Fast course
  • 26.6km/hr for 100km
  • Dry course
  • Sasquatch doing burnouts on the trike

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
Race entry - Accomodation - Thai feed, and all for less then the entry to some other 100km events going around.
Low key rego - Low key riders brief - everything ran so smoothly.
I think JD may have been right when he mentioned earlier about the perfect ratio of Singletrack to Fireroad.
Course marking was spot on and the course was to die for - I'm still smiling today!

I spent to first 50kms trying to work out where I could gap JD in the second 50km - it didn't come to be - maybe next year. Congrats to JD, he rode a hard and fast smart race.
To the other C-Town crew - better luck next year.

The Hairy man on the cargo bike - I'll never forget you.

Thank you to all the organisers and volunteers for a great weekend away - especially for opening up another 50 places and allowing all of us Mawson people to enter late!

As for Pizzaz and his hopes of a sub 4hr 100km next year - 2 words - Electric Bike!

p.s. congrats to Mini-Beard and his Baggies for a well earned 2nd on the day.

Last edited:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
+1 for a fantastic race - just got back to Melbourne this arvo after staying in Parkes overnight after the race.
BTW The Station Motel in Parkes is great - newly reno'ed and a super comfy and clean room and bathroom!

Re: the race, couldn't believe how quick the first 25km went - I reckon I was red-lining for the entire section of that track. There's always that fine line of when one wants to go hard and when to "cool it"!
Great track, great weather, great vibe, great food post race!
Worked with wifey to try and consolidate a 3rd place for her but we got passed at the 90km mark - Still she was pretty happy with a 4th and breaking 5 hours (I timed it as 4:48:XX for us). We'll definately come back next year - a top weekend!

Last edited:

A to Z

Squid
My wax based lube recipe

Easily the best and funnest 100ker I have done. Ate a bit off dust on the start with some great riders managing to go so hard for 5ks then almost slowing to a crawl!
Got stuck in the congo line for the entire length of the next single track, wasn't that bad as I felt superfast overtaking what seemed like dozens of riders on the next fire road section.

I just loved how fast all the singletrack was! A couple of tubeless tyre punctures resulted in lost time but I was under 5hours on my cycle computer.
4 1/2 hours would be achievable with no mechanicals and heaps faster at the pointy end! Not bad for a 100ker!
Krisko.... we're all waiting for an update... get over to your thread 'My wax based lube recipe' and give us your current recipe. My chain was as dry as [religious order] after 50k, clean and re-lube and the same at 100k.... I'm ready to make the change

frensham

Likes Dirt
You have to declare your time Fensham...... nobody passed me either. Did you make the cut off?
Post was tongue in cheek. Will find out my time when the results are up. But it was under 6 hours in total.

Point I was trying to make is, how does anyone know that they passed all those riders that passed them in the feed zone? Did he/she get their numbers and write them down, then tick them off as he/she went past? I wouldn't even know the number that went straight through let alone be able to recognise every single one of them of them later on down the track.

Ja-Mez

Likes Dirt
well im stoked to have completed the 50k in under 3 hours.. first ride over 20K, first ride in cleats, first race and started right at the back of the pack... what a mistake used up alot of energy trying to pass and having to ride extra slow on the few climbs... learnt alot about myself, mountainbiking and what a great bunch of people are associated with the sport.. fantastic day, cannot wait till the next one! next years goal is sub 2:30!

also the roos are mad, one hoped across the road on a descent and i was moving! lucky he moved faster!

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Post was tongue in cheek. Will find out my time when the results are up. But it was under 6 hours in total.

Point I was trying to make is, how does anyone know that they passed all those riders that passed them in the feed zone? Did he/she get their numbers and write them down, then tick them off as he/she went past? I wouldn't even know the number that went straight through let alone be able to recognise every single one of them of them later on down the track.
My post was a bit tongue in cheek as well. I don't definitively *know* that I picked up all the riders, but I do remember picking up the riders that I'd been yoyo-ing with on the first lap. My point was that sticking to my plan, and making sure I went out with enough food and water for the second lap meant that I wouldn't blow myself up on the 2nd 50.

Anyway - too serious a conversation for such a fun event, and no sheep stations on the line. Loved the course, had a ball, buried myself, will be back with bells on next year.

Sasquatch..

Likes Bikes
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. Got back from Back Yamma last night, very dusty and tired. Sorting through results now and should be up by tomorrow.

Course directional arrows are still up if anyone missed out and wanted to ride the course anyway. Will start pulling it down this weekend.

Cheers.

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
Nothing like an ambitious goal.... :) I've put in my request for an etra still day already though... Seriously... what was with the wind? How can it be a headwind all the way when it was a couple of loops?
Hmmm, I didn't think the wind was that bad. Some sections, you got pounded, and on others, you had a pretty sweet tail! Not sure it made a huge difference to overall race times.

Maybe Spoonie's aerobars would have been useful.

I also loved the tactical element it added to the race!

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
Course directional arrows are still up if anyone missed out and wanted to ride the course anyway. Will start pulling it down this weekend.
Noooooooo! Now I'll have to remember it when we go back. Theres a bunch of us from Dubbo looking to head down for a weekend camping/riding and we were hoping most of the signage would still be around. I guess after 450 sets of tyres the tracks pretty well defined at the moment, we might just have to call on some local tour guides again!

Great job, echo all the cudos so far, well done, I know what a small crew it is putting this on and this year was definitely better than last, keep em coming big feller

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Hmmm, I didn't think the wind was that bad. Some sections, you got pounded, and on others, you had a pretty sweet tail! Not sure it made a huge difference to overall race times.

Maybe Spoonie's aerobars would have been useful.

I also loved the tactical element it added to the race!
Would have been fun on the crosser as well (although not faster I don't think). Just seemed like I was in the wind all day - just need to get close enough to be in the lee of the beard... (so within 4 mins or so :) )