AM Backish in Blackish.

moorey

call me Mia
Had my medium red v2 spitty for almost 6 years. Still loved it, but it’s always felt a tad on the short side in medium. Got by with 60mm stem and the seat slid back a little, but always felt it slightly hampered the ride.

A few months back, @dh1 offered me his large frame, but a mate was in more need than me, so I sadly let him have it, and regretted it every day.

Cue a mate recently agreeing his large was too big for him, so today we did a frame swap.

Only real change from my build was adding a 1deg angleset, swapping the CCDBA to another freshly serviced CCDBA, and dumping the 150 reverb for a spare 150 Lev. Started with black bars, now swapped to Renthals to match the dropper nicely.

TLDR, one spitty out, one spitty in.

Frame: V2 gen 1 Spitfire, large.
Fork: 160 Pike RCT3, soon to be Lyrik.
Shock: CCDBA.
Headset: Works Components 1deg angleset.
Drivetrain: XT M8000 shifter, derailleur, cranks, 32t ring and chain. XD 10-42 cassette.
Brakes: M8000 with 203/180 icetech rotors.
Rims: 27.5 Flow mk3 with mismatched decals.
Hubs: Hope pro4.
Pedals: DMR vault with angry pins.
Dropper: KS Lev integra 150mm
Bars: 760 Renthal Fatbars.
Stem: Thomson Elite 4x 50mm
Seat: Fizik Gobi.
Grips. Lock-on.
Tyres: Minion DHF 2.5/Agressor 2.4 tubeless.

First ride tonight. All the Spitty goodness but better. Knocked another 2 minutes off my fastest mountain loop, and didn’t push hard by any means.

Hail to the Rotorburn Trance.

moorey

call me Mia
Green accents... Nice! :p

2 minutes off??! New bike energy the right there!
Ah yes, need to change fender.
I’d done a ride earlier, so wasn’t feeling freshest. Definitely feels like it pedals a little better with the slightly steeper SA, and not feeling as cramped.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That trip to Russia for limb extension surgery looks to be paying off. What stem length on the L?

moorey

call me Mia
That trip to Russia for limb extension surgery looks to be paying off. What stem length on the L?
50mm. Early v2’s were on the short side. Reach on the large is only about 450, and I’ve shortened that a tad also with the angleset.

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a beautiful thing when one's bike fits properly.
That's looking tight, and we appreciate the obligatory oven pic.
Moar Banshee.

moorey

call me Mia
It's a beautiful thing when one's bike fits properly.
That's looking tight, and we appreciate the obligatory oven pic.
Moar Banshee.
Made a few tweaks but haven’t updated pics...not that it looks different.
Hope 35w/pro4 wheels.
160mm Lyrik RC3.
9-46 e13 cassette.

It’s everything I’ve always loved about my old spitfire, with better sizing. Kicking myself for not grabbing a discounted V3 spitty or rune frame. Soon, my pretty.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Made a few tweaks but haven’t updated pics...not that it looks different.
Hope 35w/pro4 wheels.
160mm Lyrik RC3.
9-46 e13 cassette.

It’s everything I’ve always loved about my old spitfire, with better sizing. Kicking myself for not grabbing a discounted V3 spitty or rune frame. Soon, my pretty.
Curious as to how the 9 tooth cogs go. Would be handy extra range on my commuter.

moorey

call me Mia
Curious as to how the 9 tooth cogs go. Would be handy extra range on my commuter.
Goes good when set up. These bigger range cassettes are sometimes finnicky on some bikes without unacceptable B screw (using Shimano m8000 GS mech). Tranny needed goatlink, spitty works fine without.
The e13 9-46 isn’t as nice in shifting as the XD sunrace 10-46 Felix runs, but that may be down to his frame, and the fact the e13 is well used. A few mates have had issues with the fragility of the e13, breaking/folding cogs. Small sample size.
Long story short, the 9t doesn’t seem to be the difference, and it gives markedly higher top end speed. Will buy again if I see decently priced ones, otherwise will try another sunrace at 40% of the price for a 100g penalty, which doesn’t phase me if strong and durable.