Backpack for comuting?

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new backpack for my ride to and from work ( 30kms round trip). I think I would prefer a backpack over the messenger style just because of comfit.

Looking for something that has a few pockets so I can leave things like tubes, tools, tyre leavers, pump etc in there all the time and just add what I need to take to work on a daily basis.

what do you guys use?

XCer

Squid
Try the HAVOC it's the biggest one Camelback make, I have one and it's awsome, all days riding and still room to spare.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
I got a Vaude backpack with a stiff frame and a mesh back panel - it's a lot cooler and more ventilated than my Camelbak. It does have a bladder pocket, but it lacks small pockets so I wouldn't recommend it specifically, however Vaude stuff in general is really good.

erskine

Squid
Blackburn Hydrapack

I use a Blackburn backpack - just labelled 'Hydrapack' - when I've got a lot of stuff to carry. Its about 20 L volume, it has a ventilated mesh back for air circulation, a protected area for a hydration bladder and plenty of pockets and compression straps. Maybe bigger than you are after but it works for me.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
its gonna get really stinky fast ... do you really need a pack ... what about a bum bag or seat bag ?

I try to leave towels, shoes, shirts, suits etc at work ... then I only bring a tube and pump for the ride ... doesn't always work, and I do occassionally end up with a pack ... but I try my hardest to avoid it.

back on topic ... You didn't say what you will be hauling so I'll presume you just want to carry spares and maybs water ... so the M.U.L.E with the new ventilation is pretty good ... big enough to carry pumps and a rain shell and other bits and pieces.

I actually use a big arse Burton pack, when I'm not that organised and forget to leave stuff at work. :eek:

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
I use a Camelbak HOSS, holds loads, great little pockets inside and a very good ventilation system. The harness always feels wierd when I put it on, but then I forget I'm wearing it seconds later.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Get a panier system. Benefits include...

• No sweaty back (well less so than you would if you had a bag on)
  • No back and shoulder aches
  • Can fit in your shopping on the way home
  • Can put textbooks/computer/reports in the bag with no hassel

I used to do a 45km round trip to work and no matter what backpack you have, it sucks.

The panier also acts as a wheel cover, ensuring no/less soggy bottom during rain.

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Deuter Race X air ... say good bye to sweaty backs and stinky bags forever!

I've had an older model of this for over 5 years, use it most days, has a wicked little helmet holder that unravels out which is also really handy for carrying a pair of shoes.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dueter. I'm still waiting for my 6yr old pack to die so I can upgrade... but it's still doing the job! I prefer it over a new Camelback Havoc too.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
The dueter is the best. The mesh system really works. My zipper died on mine after 3-4 years, and I am yet to buy another bag, It will be a happy day when I finally do.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Yep! Have to agree that Deuter packs are brilliant! No sweaty, cold back at the end of a ride and if you are commuting, your commuting top dries much quicker too, so no damp/wet top to put on for the return ride. Hard to beat 'em and they are so well made - they also fit the bill with external pockets for storing tubes etc.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Another one using the Trans Alpine 30. I regularly commute with 7-8kg (mostly bike lock) and it copes fine.

Regarding size, 30L will take a change of clothes, towel, shoes, lock, lunch and your various bits small bits and pieces but not much else. I regularly max my pack out with the above when I call by the gym on the way home or when I pack for rain. TBH I wouldn't be looking at anything much smaller. You can put a small amount of gear into a bit bag but you can't go the other way.

Although it conjures up images of middle aged, grey bearded men with reflector vests, rear view mirrors and cable ties on their helmets, the idea of panniers sounds like a good one. No experience with them myself but if you're hauling a bit of gear over 30km it might be worth looing into.

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Another one using the Trans Alpine 30. I regularly commute with 7-8kg (mostly bike lock) and it copes fine.

Regarding size, 30L will take a change of clothes, towel, shoes, lock, lunch and your various bits small bits and pieces but not much else. I regularly max my pack out with the above when I call by the gym on the way home or when I pack for rain. TBH I wouldn't be looking at anything much smaller. You can put a small amount of gear into a bit bag but you can't go the other way.

Although it conjures up images of middle aged, grey bearded men with reflector vests, rear view mirrors and cable ties on their helmets, the idea of panniers sounds like a good one. No experience with them myself but if you're hauling a bit of gear over 30km it might be worth looing into.
Ha ha ha - I know what you're saying about panniers. Don't think they really suit me!

Sounds like Deuter is the way to go. Just been reading some reviews and no one has a bad thing to say. I really don't take that much with me to work, I keep all my clothes etc at work. I really only take a pair of light shoes if I stop at the gym on the way home and my food for the day. Saying that, I often buy just at the shops (ie bike stuff) and need to carry that home as well. I am planning on doing a lot more commuting on the weekends and ditching the car, so a bag that can take some shopping would be great.

For those of you who have the 30L bags, what is it like ridding with next to nothing in it? too big?

JP

Likes Dirt
Deuter Hydro EXP 12 here. It has an expanding baffle to put it out another 8 litres or so. I have it in camo so no-one can tell I have a backpack on, and if I need to head to the jungles of Peru for a black ops mission I'm set for baggage. It has a fold out rain cover,several compartments and a bladder. A very natty backpack indeed.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
On the dueters you can also shove stuff in between the web and the back of the bag. Good for jumpers and jackets. Consider it- emergency space. I've even ridden with a pair of forks in there.

hangdog

Cannon Fodder
I have an Ergon BD2 which has a 15-litre capacity and is a little small for loaded commuting, but Ergon also make the 25-litre BC3 commuter pack, imported by Over The Edge Sports. The Flink ball joint system puts almost all the weight on the hips, so you don't get sore shoulders, and the pack doesn't swing about when your upper body moves: it stays centred over your hips.

Great system, pricey at $350, but thoroughly impressive.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Berghaus Freeflow 30.

Great ventialtion, loads of space, hydro port in shoulder and bladder enclosure, big enoough to fit my jeans, jumper, a 40mm thick A4 diary, my steelcap boots and my lunch plus pump, multi tool, tube, phone, wallet, keys...