Balance Bike Build

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
As alluded to in the What do your kids ride? thread, http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ur-kids-ride&p=2716712&viewfull=1#post2716712, I'm scratching through ideas for a Balance Bike for my daughter.

This is a no rush, long term, project that I would like to have ready for Christmas 2014 when she will be 15 months old.

Spent part of Friday night hooking through the nets looking for bits and bobs and I've narrowed it down to two different component build lists, one using Chris King parts and the other using Hope parts. Looking at red coloured parts where possible, so hubs, rims, grips, stem, seat and so on.

Goldcross in The Valley were having a closing down sale, so following up a lead about 12" rims I picked up two 12" Tioga schrader valved tubes for $2 each and 2 x 12" Tioga Comp 3 Chinese knock off tires for $4 each. No 12" rims available, but there were some steel 16" ones, which I didn't bother with.

scblack

Leucocholic
As alluded to in the What do your kids ride? thread, http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ur-kids-ride&p=2716712&viewfull=1#post2716712, I'm scratching through ideas for a Balance Bike for my daughter.

This is a no rush, long term, project that I would like to have ready for Christmas 2014 when she will be 15 months old.

Spent part of Friday night hooking through the nets looking for bits and bobs and I've narrowed it down to two different component build lists, one using Chris King parts and the other using Hope parts. Looking at red coloured parts where possible, so hubs, rims, grips, stem, seat and so on.

Goldcross in The Valley were having a closing down sale, so following up a lead about 12" rims I picked up two 12" Tioga schrader valved tubes for $2 each and 2 x 12" Tioga Comp 3 Chinese knock off tires for $4 each. No 12" rims available, but there were some steel 16" ones, which I didn't bother with.
Not sure you'll find 12" rims - most bikes that small have plastic one piece wheels.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
The key thing a mate with toddler told me is to be sure there's somewhere to put their feet up on, even if small.
I'd make it with adjustable stays for bigger wheels in future too.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
foot pegs/rest isn't so important, at least that's what we found with wooden bike we had. She just scooted along tracks/around pump tracks - seat height was adjustable so that may have been the key to it.
As for components there's some on the net who stock components, so you could custom up a frame around: https://www.danscomp.com/search/strider.html
Probably cheaper to buy a good used 12" and strip the wheels of though. another worth a look http://www.bike-parts-plus-more.com.au/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=5248&cat=Plastic+Wheels+

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
Just go the stock My First Bike. It climbs like a mountain goat and descends like a olypic champion downhill skier with a rocket tied to his back. It also turns like it's on rails. Has a brake as well but with all the confidence she'll have on this beast the only time she'll need them is to slow down for you to catch up.

If you want the youngster to pick up some speed your time would be better spent working on her quads from now until she gets on the bike (I'm joking of course).

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
29" should be fine, better roll over :thumb:
Canfield-Brothers-Balance.jpg This could save him building. New Canfield "Balance" ;-)

But seriously, I'd get the Zelvy if I was throwing serious coin at it.
Zelvy-Balance-Bike-Disc-Brake-2.jpg
foot pegs/rest isn't so important, at least that's what we found with wooden bike we had. She just scooted along tracks/around pump tracks - seat height was adjustable so that may have been the key to it.
My mates kid used them. Maybe it's more important on the second size B bike. What about rear brake? The one I have waiting to use has one.

Last edited:

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
..size B bike. What about rear brake? The one I have waiting to use has one.
the one thing the ply bike we had didn't have was a brake, which didn't matter for the first year or so but once she was flying around pump tracks on it and through Lysterfield picnic area and around the lake circuit a brake of some type would've been good. I'm doing a 20" build at the moment and there's no real consensus in the ether on the best brakes for little hands... Tektro mini levers were on it but they weren't brilliant when adjusted right in. I've gone with some bb7's with speed dial levers off one of my old frames. The speed dials are probably the most adjustable to get the sort of mico-reach needed for small hands that I can find. elixir cr's are supposedly similar, and juicys are supposedly ok to.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Bonus came through on Friday.

Time to talk to my frame builder again, last we talked he put me off titanium and disc brakes and told me to check out the stainless steel from KVA, http://www.kvastainless.com/bicycles/ and think about some XTR V-Brakes.

Really liking the look of the Greenhorn as a guide of what I want in a frame. Just not sure about the form crown and the bottom bracket areas. Would prefer a more Unicrown look.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
It's been a while since any action in this thread, but I thought I'd revive it anyway. I'm starting to think about building a balance bike for the latest addition to the house and was hoping the brains trust could help me out with some of your experience.

My plan at this point is to draw up some plans for the frame build & make a set of construction drawings out of them, the intention being to frame them as a bit of a memento if I can make it look good (a bit of 3D work won't go astray here).

Phase 2 is to actually build the thing. I'm thinking wood, probably ply, to stick with what I'm good at.

Does anyone here know of any good resources for this sort of project? I'm currently trying to find some good information on:
  • Sizing (Wheelbase, height, etc.)
  • Construction methods
  • What works & what doesn't (adjustable seatposts, brakes, etc.)
  • Things I'm forgetting

I'm still putting together my mental list of what I'll need to tackle and am still in very early stages of the project, but I've got to start somewhere I guess. I have done a bit of a Google on it and found a good instructables on one (http://www.instructables.com/id/Balance-bike/) and some others, but if anyone has any other tips, I'm all ears!

Like I said, it's still early days. I plan to have it finished for Christmas 2015, so plenty of time to get it done right.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
My monkey has one of these. Mocka.co.nz. Although she quickly ran out of seat height adjustment. But why push when you can take the ex. 12V now 24V Tonka electric truck to get the mail..... Does great burnouts too :whistle:

Attachments

JDD199

Cannon Fodder
My son has an Avanti balance bike, in hind sight I would have looked around a little longer and maybe even ordered online.

He was keen for bikes soon after he could walk, except the seat height was to high to start off with. Now he is going along well and getting more confident and trying BMX jump down ramps and our driveway he needs brakes which he doesn't have. The bike also doesn't have a spot to put his feet.

So if you are building a bike I would certainly consider:

Good seat height options/adjustability
Brakes
foot rest for when coasting

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go for a mini-v brake with a odyssey bmx lever. There's lots of really nice mini vs for cx bikes (check out trp).

Road and bmx brakes have a shorter pull than mtb brakes which will make it much easier for their little hands to slow down. Odyssey bmx lever comes in a shorter reach too.

Looks super cool though!

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We have a first bike that has a brake, but it is too large for my son to use, and uses a fixed length cable so can't wind the lever in. If you have seat height adjustability, the foot rests are not as important.

John U

MTB Precision
We have a first bike that has a brake, but it is too large for my son to use, and uses a fixed length cable so can't wind the lever in. If you have seat height adjustability, the foot rests are not as important.
Our 2 had a screw on the lever to reduce the reach. The cable could then be adjusted to accommodate the change.