Balance Track Racer

latheboy

Likes Dirt
My Wife built us a kid 8 months ago and he is starting to stand up by himself.

Got to get him on some wheels asap.
I've always lover the 1900's to 1920's motorbikes, so I got on Solidworks and come up with this.

BTR 1 pic 2.JPG

Changed it on the fly, only the drop outs really because my model sucked on those parts.

Just got to make some bars and a seat, then paint.

Bamm.

Attachments

Last edited:

Klips

Likes Dirt
I have to say that 1) that's awesome and 2) that's surely got to be the first balance bike ever to rock a triple clamp!

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys,

I have a set of light tyres for it, knobies, but they are smaller in OD so I used these to set the possition for clearance.
He will get the light tyres to start with.

Hard rubbish is awesome.

I'll have to set up a catch fench on my drive way :)

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
Hell fuck yeah!!

Sweet ride mate. Has to be the most pimpin balance bike around. Have you thought about marketing these? I would've snapped one up for sure when my boys were learning to ride, just for the novelty factor. Surely a solid candidate for dad of the year!

John U

MTB Precision
Looks awesome. One thing though, my kids used My First Bike and the bit where you've got you motor isn't on these bikes. It is more like an upward facing bow and reasonably narrow when the bike is lying on the ground. This makes it easy for them to stand over it and pick it up with out have to splay their legs way out. This was how the ended up getting on the bike a fair bit of the time. Just an observation I made from watching them use it. You look like a fairly skilled dude with the tools. I guess if it ends up being an issue you can mod it.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Balance bobber :thumb:

What's the effective TT on that? Looks bigger than my bike. Going to be in a drag bike position? Maybe take them out to the salt flats.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I'll keep updating as I go....

I have had plenty of people say the same thing oldstinky, problem is..
You can't afford it aaaannnnndddddd if I make to sell that would mean other people have cool toys too..

The frame design is a copy of a motorbike and stays, if it an issue I'll have to make a new one :)

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Ummmm, TT???

first set of bars will be a classic horse shoe shape, when he has more reach ill put flat bars on it.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Finally got some paint on it, i'll be wraping the seat in leather.

This is where it at.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

scblack

Leucocholic
Absolutely farking brilliant!

Only two questions:

Is that seat going to have any padding at all? Or more shapeliness? It just looks a bit harsh there.

Where's the two cylinder engine?

latheboy

Likes Dirt
The V-twin will go into a bigger frame :)

I am going to put some padding on the seat before it's wrapped, this seat is not going to be there too long though.

When he gets a bit taller i'll make a new seat to get the height right and finish the look of the bike.

I'm pretty happy with it, best 1st birthday pressy I could ever give him.

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
Dude... That is freaking AWESOME! I love it... My kid reckons he's pretty cool with his Ninja Turtles balance bike, I'll have to make sure he doesn't catch me looking in this thread or I'll end up having to learn how to weld..

slowmick

38-39"
Awesome work latheboy. You are have set the bar way too high for every father who's kid comes in contact with yours. looking forward to seeing the future model as your kid grows up.

take a bow sir. :thumb:

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, that turbospoke is sick... Might have to make a twin pipe version for this.

I have had people ask me to make them one for their kids, but then other kids have cool shit that my kid has ahaha ...

I'm almost tempted to make another just to hang one the wall, When I run out of other projects it might happen....

Welding/ machining is easy WarbyD (altho i've been in the trade for 20 years), the hard part is having the vision to create... Basically if you can think it up, then design it, you can build it.