Bang-for-buck upgrades

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
have you considered Manitou Mattoc or Magnum forks, awesome bit of kit..get the ones with the Dorado internals :p
brakes option: shimano XT8000 calipers with Zee levers

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
have you considered Manitou Mattoc or Magnum forks, awesome bit of kit..get the ones with the Dorado internals :p
brakes option: shimano XT8000 calipers with Zee levers
Don't know much about modern Manitou forks, only from ~20 years ago. Will do some reading.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Google your rear derailleur to see what it’s capacity is. If it can handle 46, which it may considering it takes a double front ring, just stay 10 speed and go 11-46 or 11-42 with a single ring. Save money on cranks and shifters plus 10sp parts are normally cheaper.
10-sp. XT derailleur won't come within a bull's roar of fitting a 46, and 42 is pushing the friendship. The upper body is simply too short.

PJO

in me vL comy
10-sp. XT derailleur won't come within a bull's roar of fitting a 46, and 42 is pushing the friendship. The upper body is simply too short.
Yep, sons bike is running an 11-40 with a 10sp XT, bought a longer b-screw to make it work. Shifting is excellent, maybe too much bigger and the higher gears would become compromised.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Flip that around for the big boy!
Zee and XT 4-pot calipers are damn close to identical - in fact the previious generation M8020 are exactly the same units, the current M8120 are a mild revision. The newer 8000 & 8100 levers have a smoother ServoWave curve,so they're less jumpy in application, but 4-pots take the edge off that anyway.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Zee and XT 4-pot calipers are damn close to identical - in fact the previious generation M8020 are exactly the same units, the current M8120 are a mild revision. The newer 8000 & 8100 levers have a smoother ServoWave curve,so they're less jumpy in application, but 4-pots take the edge off that anyway.
Very true. I run the combo I suggested. I only threw that up because the M8000 aren't 4 pot.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Goat link?
I’m running one with a RAD cage and 11-42.
Goat link helps with clearance under the big end of the cassette, but opens the gap between cassette & derailleur at the other end, so increased chain flex affects shifting in that sector, especially when the chain is getting tired.

I haven't closely looked, but my understanding is that the Rad cage offsets the top pulley from the cage pivot (standard geometry is concentric pivot), moving the pulley back and down as the cage pulls forward, so it gains extra big sprocket clearance without sacrificing too much at the other end.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I've used a few cheapo eBay goat links and they definitely do the job for adding range to older 9 and 10sp derailleurs. Havn't had complaints of any shifting issues in the smaller cogs yet so maybe not a huge issue?

Another option is to get a later model deore 10sp derailleur. While slx and xt were doing 11sp, deore for some reason stayed 10sp with a wider range cassette and an updated derailleur to suit.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

goobags

Likes Dirt
From someone who rides an agro hardtail, I would definitely be looking at 34mm forks if you at the 140mm mark but 120mm you could argue each way. Depends how aggressive your riding is.

Brakes, unless you are really pushing it, you will get shaken to pieces before needing 4 pots front and rear. Even with 2 pots, the biggest change would probably be the feel of the lever particularly coming from 2 finger levers. Magura trail sport are relatively cheap and would leave you with plenty of brake power.

Cranks as an upgrade meh, but look at a 30t on the front. If you use 22/36 then 32/46 won’t get you there. 30/46 would be closer but will also leave you short in the top end. While you are at it, a new cable and outer would make shifting excellent again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've used a few cheapo eBay goat links and they definitely do the job for adding range to older 9 and 10sp derailleurs. Havn't had complaints of any shifting issues in the smaller cogs yet so maybe not a huge issue?

Another option is to get a later model deore 10sp derailleur. While slx and xt were doing 11sp, deore for some reason stayed 10sp with a wider range cassette and an updated derailleur to suit.

Got a link for the goatlinks?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Got a link for the goatlinks?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
That's the shape of one of the ones I've used. Needs to be filed a little to fit some hangers (or file the hanger) because the tab hits it.

Can't find the other one I've used, didn't need modifying for the frame I used it on and appears a little sturdier. Search for "derailleur hanger extension" if you wanna have a browse

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Can't find the other one I've used, didn't need modifying for the frame I used it on and appears a little sturdier. Search for "derailleur hanger extension" if you wanna have a browse
These CNC'd ones ?

Dont bother with the cast versions.

I should have at least 1, maybe 2 of the Chi CNC versions here if anyone needs one urgent.

Rorschach

From someone who rides an agro hardtail, I would definitely be looking at 34mm forks if you at the 140mm mark but 120mm you could argue each way. Depends how aggressive your riding is.

Brakes, unless you are really pushing it, you will get shaken to pieces before needing 4 pots front and rear. Even with 2 pots, the biggest change would probably be the feel of the lever particularly coming from 2 finger levers. Magura trail sport are relatively cheap and would leave you with plenty of brake power.

Cranks as an upgrade meh, but look at a 30t on the front. If you use 22/36 then 32/46 won’t get you there. 30/46 would be closer but will also leave you short in the top end. While you are at it, a new cable and outer would make shifting excellent again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I reckon getting a set of 34mm forks from the get-go is better, given my size. Also would rather buy once!

Just had a look at the Maguras - review well and looks like I can get a full set from Amazon from <$300 which is pretty good value. They even come as a mixed set with 4-piston front and 2-piston rear.

Cranks I might be able to salvage, need to get more of a look at my crankset at the weekend but with a cursory glance it looks like I can remove the chainrings

Reactions: PJO

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Not sure if it's been mentioned but doesn't your bike have QR axles front and rear? I don't know if it's worth getting beefy forks and having a non-boost QR wheelset below them.

I'd seriously just look at a new bike. Have a look at a Nukeproof Scout race and transfer the dropper post (assuming seatpost size is the same).

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Not sure if it's been mentioned but doesn't your bike have QR axles front and rear? I don't know if it's worth getting beefy forks and having a non-boost QR wheelset below them.
Most of the hoo-ha around axle diameter is mucketing bullshit. A beefier fork will make much more difference than a wanky axle.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Most of the hoo-ha around axle diameter is mucketing bullshit. A beefier fork will make much more difference than a wanky axle.
Yes but if the OP's plan is to transfer his parts to a 120mm+ forked frame (NP Scout, Honzo, Ragley etc), do they want a 9mm QR with a presumably weaker front wheel on an uprated beefier frame?

Rorschach

Yes but if the OP's plan is to transfer his parts to a 120mm+ forked frame (NP Scout, Honzo, Ragley etc), do they want a 9mm QR with a presumably weaker front wheel on an uprated beefier frame?
That’s a fair point I hadn’t considered. More food for thought. Wonder if the hubs are convertible, but doubt it

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Doesn't really change much, the length/diameter proportion of the fork will have much more effect on stiffness & performance than the axle type.