Banshee 2017

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I kinda liked the more... 'agricultural', old-school styling of Banshee frames, but the hydroformed streamlining done on the 2017 frames is pretty nice too!
Apparently making the move to hydroformed tubing is saving nearly half a kilo of frame weight.

Especially liking the new, simpler, streamlined dropout system too (from a visual standpoint anyway), and the ability to run 'boost' for those that want it.
Though unsure if they will still allow 3 positions, or just high and low.

Looks like Banshee are still doing what they do best - giving riders all kinds of options to run the setup they want!
Travel and geo numbers are apparently the same as last year.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
What's with the cable ties on the derailleur in the 3rd picture?

A bit more internal routing would be nice, but it's a minor detail. I certainly wouldn't kick any of those babies out the bed for farting.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Oh my glob they're prettier than ever. New Spitfire is stunning.

Although....I'd be interested to see what actual changes there are beyond aesthetics if the geo is the same. Lower weight? Greater stiffness? More efficient/cheaper to make?

EDIT: actually read the OP's text properly. Hydro forming apparently dumped a similar amount of weight out of the 2015 Intense Tracer too.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I like that they've shied away from internal routing. Makes brake work particularly easy.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like them a lot.
Has turned me back to banshee for when I eventually replace my '14 Spitfire.

madstace

Likes Dirt
A few points:

1. I don't see the difference from previous years :noidea: Bit disappointed in myself really as I love the small detail stuff (see point 3). Cool that they've managed such a weight drop though.
2. I like internal gear/dropper cabling from an aesthetic POV, but full external is better than an internally routed brake line, I just don't get that business.
3. What's the story with the zip ties on the rear derailleur clutch? Are SRAM getting it more wrong with each go at it?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I see that Defcon is discounting the 2016 Rune and Spitfire frames too.

jarrod839

Banned
Ive been following euro bike pretty closely the past few days and its good to see banshee still doing what they do best and thats making good quality and simple bikes and not following some of this other shit companys are now doing.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Those beauties are sexy as. Interesting they all have monarchs and not CCDB shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Those beauties are sexy as. Interesting they all have monarchs and not CCDB shocks.

Can't see a non + monarc performing like a CCDBA :hand:

They're still doing the nicest paint jobs getting around, for my money.

Boom King

Can't see a non + monarc performing like a CCDBA :hand:

They're still doing the nicest paint jobs getting around, for my money.
There seem to be many options available.//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57c937ce04a5b/Copy of Copy of banshee 2017 catalog web.pdf
Dropouts only have two positions on the new models, high and low.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Harfa kilo lighter, if they're as stiff and strong as ever, this would be the killer point.

Looks to be the TT and ST brace that have the most/all of the hydroforming, reminiscent of the monocoque style my old force had, and that I liked a lot, although the spitty TT has copped it a little too much for my taste.

As ever, they've kept function over aesthetics, external routing is the bomb, done well, and banshee has always done it well since the V1s. Internal routing is for electronic shifting, roadie scum.

It's a bike that looks like a bike, and performs like magic, have a feeling they'll still be the best bang for buck "boutique" frame on the market.

Even with the reduced positions o the dropouts, they'll still be some of the most versatile frames around. Wonder if the boost drops will be backwards compatible.

Looking like the new Spitfire will be the quiver killer bike of 2017.....for anyone who doesn't need an acrylic bike to get a chub, and even then, you've gotta think twice.

If anyone needs me, I'll just take these tissues and the sorboline cream out to the shed.

#knucklesisachunt

Boom King

Harfa kilo lighter, if they're as stiff and strong as ever, this would be the killer point.

It's a bike that looks like a bike, and performs like magic, have a feeling they'll still be the best bang for buck "boutique" frame on the market.

Even with the reduced positions o the dropouts, they'll still be some of the most versatile frames around.

Looking like the new Spitfire will be the quiver killer bike of 2017

#knucklesisachunt
If I were in the market for a new bike, Spitty it would probably be. I reckon very few ever used the three positions available on the dropouts anyway, dropping one position allowed a much more compact design down back, shaving more weight as well.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
If I were in the market for a new bike, Spitty it would probably be. I reckon very few ever used the three positions available on the dropouts anyway, dropping one position allowed a much more compact design down back, shaving more weight as well.
Looks like the rear triangle has carried over, so they should keep their legendary stiffness.

Really don't need a new bike, but the want is off the charts. Maybe I'll wait a couple of months and get a 16 spitty of one of youse upgrade junkies.

#knucklesisachunt

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
A few points:

1. I don't see the difference from previous years :noidea: Bit disappointed in myself really as I love the small detail stuff (see point 3). Cool that they've managed such a weight drop though.
The monocoque TT/ST brace is as obvious as hell, the spitty and prime (I'm assuming, I didn't look, cos 29=meh) has copped a more flattened profile, and the rune TT tapers in from the squared HT junction area. Looks like the main pivot box/bb assembly has received some refinement, looks a lot more intergrated than my 13,at least.

2. I like internal gear/dropper cabling from an aesthetic POV, but full external is better than an internally routed brake line, I just don't get that business.
Internal routing on a mtb is pure wank, especially on an alloy frame, and adds another complication to building and maintenance, also adds another potential source of unwanted noise.

3. What's the story with the zip ties on the rear derailleur clutch? Are SRAM getting it more wrong with each go at it?
I'd say they decided to build off site, then transport the completed bikes to the show, and some idjit has ripped the derailleur off, snapping the B-axle.

#knucklesisachunt

stirk

Burner
They look great and good to see the external routing. Function and simplicity of maintenance should always win over aesthetics.