Banshee Paradox V3

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
It really would be a full house then, the problem is I prefer the look of the V2 models over V3. It looks like a Giant Reign.

And I've no chance of a demo.
The HPP bikes are what's catching my attention right now.

The Deviate Highlander is stunning but the rear centre is not size specific (or long enough on XL) and the STA is ok but not quite where I want it. And they're two compromises I can't do anything about.

Forbidden seems to just spend their time releasing photos on Instagram instead of their long travel 29. Should have been December but they're delayed.

And in all honesty I'd prefer aluminium over carbon.
TL;DR
Banshee have what I want, but they look different than the old ones so I’m gonna compromise and get a bike that won’t ride how I want it to?

You can’t see yourself ride mate, as long as it’s black it’s fine.
They’ve fixed the headtube length for larger frames. That alone makes them look 100x better

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
TL;DR
Banshee have what I want, but they look different than the old ones so I’m gonna compromise and get a bike that won’t ride how I want it to?

You can’t see yourself ride mate, as long as it’s black it’s fine.
They’ve fixed the headtube length for larger frames. That alone makes them look 100x better
I'm hearing strong reports on them. And wise words on function over form. It's worth looking through them again. I really like the idea of HPP and the wheelbase extending during travel.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I'm hearing strong reports on them. And wise words on function over form. It's worth looking through them again. I really like the idea of HPP and the wheelbase extending during travel.
Yeah honestly I don’t think you’d be disappointed with either a banshee or a forbidden/deviate. But we all know the banshee will outlast you, those frames are built solid.
Like anything it’ll take a few rides to figure how they like to be ridden.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yeah honestly I don’t think you’d be disappointed with either a banshee or a forbidden/deviate. But we all know the banshee will outlast you, those frames are built solid.
Like anything it’ll take a few rides to figure how they like to be ridden.
Or just ride it twice and sell it to you... :p

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I really like the idea of HPP and the wheelbase extending during travel.
You ridden a HPP before? The extension of the wheelbase is good in some applications, but has drawbacks. I was on HPP about 7 or so years ago for about 3 years. If I had to sum it up in one sentence:
Took more work to get up to speed, but once at speed was easier to maintain. Extending wheelbase in corners meant had to learn to corner slightly differently. Manuals and jumping took more input.
When I got back onto a non HPP bike I went faster overall, and didnt have to work as hard (I find most track in aus are more about acceleration/ braking as opposed to maintaining speed.

Definitely worth a test

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You ridden a HPP before? The extension of the wheelbase is good in some applications, but has drawbacks. I was on HPP about 7 or so years ago for about 3 years. If I had to sum it up in one sentence:
Took more work to get up to speed, but once at speed was easier to maintain. Extending wheelbase in corners meant had to learn to corner slightly differently. Manuals and jumping took more input.
When I got back onto a non HPP bike I went faster overall, and didnt have to work as hard (I find most track in aus are more about acceleration/ braking as opposed to maintaining speed.

Definitely worth a test
Thanks for that POV. That's very interesting to hear. I can imagine there are some drawbacks as seldom is any benefit for free.

It's a risk, and I do see a fair amount of Druids for sale on FB. That might be because they're catching my eye or people don't get on with them as much as they'd hoped.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm admitting that I have a problem. It seems I can't leave bikes alone and keep fettling them to see what it's like.

On the Paradox, I thought going to 27.5+ might be interesting but always held off as the rims are 29mm internal width which apparently was considered too narrow.

Anyway, thought I'd gamble it, and after putting some 2.8" Minion DHF tyres on I can happily report that the bike still rides like a dream. I think I prefer it like this but we'll see over time. It could be the effect of new rubber.

It's compliant and comfortable, grippy and so agile.

Excuse the photos, they were all I had to hand.

Attachments

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm admitting that I have a problem. It seems I can't leave bikes alone and keep fettling them to see what it's like.
You are not alone - welcome to the club!

Anyway, thought I'd gamble it, and after putting some 2.8" Minion DHF tyres on I can happily report that the bike still rides like a dream. I think I prefer it like this but we'll see over time. It could be the effect of new rubber.
29" front, 27.5+ rear? ;)

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Glad to be among like minded (empty wallet bearing) souls.. :D
A mate suggested the same. I might give it a try but it does seem like a fad. Fat Bikes come to mind...

I could be very wrong though so it might be worth a shot.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 2011 ENVE XC wheels were 24mm wide with IRRC ~18mm internal, I ran 2.4 Racing Ralphs on these for years before every hearing about minimum rim internal widths for tyres.

Throw a 27.5+ on and give it a go.
Yep, I've been on and off trying them for a while and am so glad I decided to run with it. The bike rides so well with 2.8" tyres. No issues or downsides at all.

I've another set of wheels with ~23mm internal and ran 2.4" tyres on them and loved it. 29mm is nicer in some cases, but as long as I didn't get too greedy with tyre width they were great.

Petero

Likes Dirt

Glad to be among like minded (empty wallet bearing) souls.. :D
A mate suggested the same. I might give it a try but it does seem like a fad. Fat Bikes come to mind...

I could be very wrong though so it might be worth a shot.
Honestly, if you're a tinkerer you must try. Fad or not, I found my mullet experiment to be quite informative.
Probably one of the better frames to try it on also.