Banshee Paradox V3

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Depends on the frame, you’d expect that it would be 160 IS (not 140), so a 20mm adapter? Someone else with a Paradox might be able to confirm what they’ve used.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode this today at Plenty gorge, it's heaps of fun. I've got a few little tweaks to make to the setup but generally speaking I'm stoked with it. I am wondering what it would be like with 2.6 tyres and a cush core in the back but I think it's a keeper so I need to sort out some wheels for it.
The Deore 4 spots with metal pads are tops, I don't know how they can charge double for XT with almost no difference.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode this today at Plenty gorge, it's heaps of fun. I've got a few little tweaks to make to the setup but generally speaking I'm stoked with it. I am wondering what it would be like with 2.6 tyres and a cush core in the back but I think it's a keeper so I need to sort out some wheels for it.
The Deore 4 spots with metal pads are tops, I don't know how they can charge double for XT with almost no difference.
Great to hear, it's a pretty special bike I think.
2.6" on the rear with cushcore would be comfortable but a little too draggy for my tastes.

2.4" with ghettocore works for me.

Scotty675

Cable thief
I've been tempted to try a 2.6 on the rear, but I'd have to agree with @The Reverend that I recon it would be a bit draggy. I'm happy 2.6 front and 2.35 rear. I am only a light weight and don't run any tyre protection.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
13mm X 19mm kflex from Bunnings.
If 29" glue two together, put insulation tape over the joins.

If 27.5 you'll need to shorten it to make it fit tightly.

Insert into wheel with one side of the tyre seated.

Ensure the taped seams is over the valve.

Fill with sealant and inflate.

You'll find that.
  1. Your bike is more quiet. A lot of bike noise is stuff just amplified by the space in the tyres.
  2. Lower pressures with more support is there.
  3. Lots more grip.
  4. Rim protection.
  5. Your ride is more damped.
I've done this on all but one set of wheels.
It's not as completed a solution as Cushcore but costs a mere fraction ($12.00) for both wheels.

If it gets damaged, just replace it. I've had mine in for easily 18 months and they're still working fine. Granted, this is across 3 bikes.

Possible watch outs.
1. The ghettocore can snug up against the valve so air doesn't come out as easily when you press the valve.

2. It can soak up sealant depending on brand. Stan's has been fine. Mitas wasn't so good.

Hope that helps.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking at the interweb (so it must be true) pool noodles are NFG because they are open cell foam and what you actually need is a product used for construction called a foam backing rod, seems this is a fairly popular solution. They seem to be sold in 50m boxes though so I just got some K-Flex from bunnings.
Rode the Paradox again at Plenty on Wednesday and things were going really well until I binned it and now I'll be off the bike for a while with some bruising and a fair bit of bark missing. Going to You Yangs with the kids on Sunday but that's just to make sure that the ambulance can find them when they bite off more than they can chew, I'll be taking it very easy and will ride my Optic if the new bottom bracket fits.
My things to do list is pretty much just sort a wheelset and make it quieter, just a few little rattles that need to be looked at but aside from that I'm really happy.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No good. Rest up and heal up.
I gave my Paradox a run this week and it remains a wonderful bike. The nose might be just a slight touch too high but it feels oustanding. And so quiet (sorry, didn't mean to rub it in)

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Took this for it's first proper outing the other night a 60km loop to Smiths Gully and back and it was a pleasure, I'd forgotten how much more engaging it is riding a hard tail. It was cold, muddy and dark which for those who know Smiths make it challenging, I had thought about taking my Optic because it's a bit more forgiving but I didn't regret taking the Banshee.
After posting on here about how great the X-Fusion manic seat post has been, it starting getting a bit stiff on the way home so will have to check the cable adjustment and see what the story is there. I also probably need to find some flatter bars, the 30mm rise and the epic stack of the Banshee leave you sitting up pretty straight which isn't ideal for really steep climbs.
I finally got some wheels for it, was going to get some Hunts but they are talking about August/September delivery so I just got some Nextie carbons for it on Hope hubs and will try the ghetto K-Flex rim protector solution out.