AM 2

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After getting curious and researching a little on the crank breakages I emailed 5Dev to ask a few questions. You know, simple things like....are you changing anything? Leaving more meat on them? Even entertaining the notion that there could be an issue....tbh I would have been happy with a reply something like....we have done extensive testing and the failure rate is tiny and must have been a bad batch etc....that would have done it for me and I would have forgotten about it and kept riding on them. Instead I got the most arrogant response ignoring my questions but them spruking how good they are and who they've have made parts for and basically how dare I question them as they are better than everyone in the bike industry. What a FW!

Cranks are coming off. If this dickhead is behind them they can eat a bag of dicks.
For the money and hype they have it's a pretty poor look / response.
The issue is do you run them and see what they do but dental work and surgery is not cheap.

Or do you sell them knowing that people are into them for the looks?
A lighter rider using them for light XC might good with them.

Tough decision.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
After getting curious and researching a little on the crank breakages I emailed 5Dev to ask a few questions. You know, simple things like....are you changing anything? Leaving more meat on them? Even entertaining the notion that there could be an issue....tbh I would have been happy with a reply something like....we have done extensive testing and the failure rate is tiny and must have been a bad batch etc....that would have done it for me and I would have forgotten about it and kept riding on them. Instead I got the most arrogant response ignoring my questions but them spruking how good they are and who they've have made parts for and basically how dare I question them as they are better than everyone in the bike industry. What a FW!

Cranks are coming off. If this dickhead is behind them they can eat a bag of dicks.
I wonder if he is related to Leo.:p After seeing some of the chats an owner had after his cranks broke I have unfollowed. Be interesting to see how their attitude affects the company as word is spreading.

SummitFever

Eats Squid

You only need to rear their marketing blurb

"5DEV's goal is to develop cranks that can be manufactured in a short period of time. Utilizing 5 Axis CNC machines we can produce product in days vs months or years."

Wot???

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

"5DEV's goal is to develop cranks that can be manufactured in a short period of time. Utilizing 5 Axis CNC machines we can produce product in days vs months or years."

Wot???
In my defence I was one of the initial buyers so that marketing spiel wasn't there at the time. Reading over the email response he sent to me this morning is laughable.

EDIT...followed up with another email saying they are sending a refund.

Last edited:

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy

Wot???
Exactly. Startup disruptor mentality.

“we can do it faster/better than the incumbent morons - incoherent tech babble - buy our stuff”

nek minit… why are my cranks on fire? Maybe the morons know something we don’t… oh well, next model out in 3 days hot off the CNC. No need for prototypes or real world testing, we have custom FEA models that are better than any rider.

(To be honest though, everyone is doing it. Quick and the dead. If I ran a component co I’d probably want fast prod cycles. But I’d hope I had time for customers too.)

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Rapid prototyping is one thing, but "utilising 5 axis to produce a product in days vs months or years" is just pure marketing BS. There is nothing I can see in their crank design that would require 5 axis (particularly 5 axis simultaneous) tool paths and 5 axis is not always faster. On a 5 axis machine you might be able to make one crank arm in one setup (probably "1.5" as you need to hold it somehow, part it off and finish the end) but the material removal rate on a thin part sticking up in the air will be slower than running two operations using a 3 axis machine and suitable fixtures (particularly if you can run dozens of crank arms at the one time).

But hey, he's mentioned the magic phrase "5-axis" so it must be good, take my money.