Bar length - how is too wide?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Anyone had trouble with too wide bars? I’ve had some elbow pain I’d attributed to computer mouse use, but now suspecting 800mm mtb bars is too long for me at 5’9” and making my arms run at unnatural angles...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Slide grips and controls in. Very easy to see if narrower bars are more comfortable.
Yep, shall experiment when I get home. Have some other narrower bars in the shed somewhere too.

Noticed it on a longish roadie ride, elbows were generally hurting on hitting bumps when they never had before. And both elbows so probably not mouse use after all.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yep, I'm 6'2" and 780mm is my upper limit. Though recently I've reverted to running 750-760mm on general trail rides as I find it way more comfortable. I don't love rocky/techy descents though - so that is a big factor. I just pick my way through and enjoy the flowier bits of trail.

My riding mates are both around 5'8" and love 800mm bars, but also love smashing through rocks. So application is as relevant as pedalling fit.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
5'9"ish and got 800mm on both Hightower and Trek XC race bike.
The ones on the XC bike are new and only 1 ride so far, so they may not stay 800mm... they feel big on that bike.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I think it’s personal,

I’ve been lifting weights a lot longer than mountain biking ( not that I’m big ) and I reckon upper back lat muscle development makes wide bars feel right .

5 foot 10, 800 feels spot on
That’s interesting. I have fuck all upper body muscle development...

Thanks all, interesting cross section of experience. Will run the 760 bars I have at home for a while and see if elbow pain resolves.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
How longs the stem? Oddjob runs 780 widest but his stems are long af.

So many variables. I run. 800’s, bars swept back and a max 50mm stem.
6”4ish and not little.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I thought that bar length was a relation to shoulder width so the wider the shoulders the wider the bars.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I'm 174cm and 800mm is too wide for me. Strangely my medium DH bike came fitted with 800s. Somewhere between 760-780 is comfortable for me.

safreek

I think it’s personal,

I’ve been lifting weights a lot longer than mountain biking ( not that I’m big ) and I reckon upper back lat muscle development makes wide bars feel right .

Damn, your avatar says the weights are working for you, you hot

teK--

Eats Squid
I think it’s personal,

Spot on.

Depends on not only overall height but also your ape factor (arm length to body length ratio). Also upper body strength and shoulder mobility has a lot to do to with it. Bar backsweep angle too.

I'm 172 have fairly normal length arms but wide shoulders and run 785mm bars.

Just need to experiment to see what feels comfortable for you.