Bar length - how is too wide?

I really cant understand how lats have anything at all to do with how wide your bars should be or how they influence the stress on the elbow when riding

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
The grammar is shitting me too but not as bad as this .
The last movie you've last watched last
Thats 2 lasts too many . English is clearly the author's ,[ seamonkey's } second language.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Dug out the old OE bars and knocked a centimetre off each end. If I can get up early enough tomorrow I’ll see how it rides with 780mm bars....

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
just purchased 2 Marin Hawk Hill Jnr's for my 8 Yo twin boys, just chucked the tape measure across them for shits and giggles...740mm!
might have to do a bit of guess work as to what will suit them best, but I'm assuming this will be way too wide for a runty 8yo!
what sort of width are other grom dads running on their kiddo's bikes, don't want to cause any early injuries to the little tackers this early on (other than mental scars!)

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I hadn't put the slightest thought to this, so just measured my bars.

The Yeti runs 800, and the HT's (both mine, and Master 11) are 760.

I think I'm around 5'9", and the lad post growth spurt, would have to be around 5' by now.

All seem comfortable, functional and controlled. Besides, I'm too scared to take any off in case it feels shit, and I want them longer again.

Might try the shortening with old grips inboard trick at some stage, if I can be bothered. But for now, just ride it.

I also measured my pushup stance, and found 800 to be very natural. But so was every variation down to about 400. I don't know.

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Like some women boys dont have wide shoulders or much upper body strength so need to factor that in.
what sort of width are other grom dads running on their kiddo's bikes, don't want to cause any early injuries to the little tackers this early on (other than mental scars!)

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
just purchased 2 Marin Hawk Hill Jnr's for my 8 Yo twin boys, just chucked the tape measure across them for shits and giggles...740mm!
might have to do a bit of guess work as to what will suit them best, but I'm assuming this will be way too wide for a runty 8yo!
680 is the width on my 8 year old sons bike. Watching him ride this arvo they could go a little narrower no problems. Out of the shop they were waaaaay wider (seemed like 800) which was absolutely crazy.

For myself my stongest pushup is at about 720mm which is what I ran my BMX race bike at. My MTB's are 750 (27.5) and 760 (29er).

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I really cant understand how lats have anything at all to do with how wide your bars should be or how they influence the stress on the elbow when riding
wide lats naturally make your arms want to sit wider ,

Watch body builders walk around with their arms out wide from their body , thats their over developed lats making the arms sit wider , ask them to put their arms out in front of them in a comfortable position , watch how wide they will place them compared to a skinny guy ,

its like the support structure under your arms , they also prevent your arms from tiring in that position

Last edited:

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

Watch body builders walk around with their arms out wide from their body , thats their over developed lats making the arms sit wider , ask them to put their arms out in front of them in a comfortable position , watch how wide they will place them compared to a skinny guy ,

its like the support structure under your arms , they also prevent your arms from tiring in that position
Having big lats is irrelevant to bar width. The only time the lats hold your arms up is when your torso is upright and arms at or close to your sides......they seem to give out the invisible basketballs to anyone under 20 at my gym.

I disagree, there is also the chest muscles, traps and shoulders influencing where their arms are at rest in a relaxed standing position, the skeletal structure underneath, the available rotation in the shoulder, its not only the lats.

Once you arms are up and out in front of you the lat muscles are elongated, and their influence on where your arms will naturally be is reduced.

Putting it down to "I got big lats so I got wide bars" sounds like a massive wank