Bar length - how is too wide?

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I disagree, there is also the chest muscles, traps and shoulders influencing where their arms are at rest in a relaxed standing position, the skeletal structure underneath, the available rotation in the shoulder, its not only the lats.

Once you arms are up and out in front of you the lat muscles are elongated, and their influence on where your arms will naturally be is reduced.

Putting it down to "I got big lats so I got wide bars" sounds like a massive wank

View attachment 358384
well , I probably shouldn’t have emphasised lats specifically , but wide upper back , and included shoulders as well I guess , with elbows bent in the position that you hold the bars, and moving around , I do think that has an effect . But we can agree to disagree

end of the day it’s what’s comfortable to the individual, and body shapes come into it , I don’t think anyone is getting egos over wide bars are they, or are they :)

Last edited:

tobbogonist

a registered member
Just went from 710 to 780 a week ago.
Im pretty short with a wide back (like a garbage man). Im definately happier with the wider bars although will be chopping em down to 760 to save the trailside trees.
I have no understanding of the theory behind any of this, i just try different stuff.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I have a revolutionary idea thats going to take 2020 mtb by storm.
A 1.5m wide bar where the ends break off as you clip trees
Lycra crew can buy the 900mm version.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I feel that if your forehead rests on your stem your bars are probably too wide.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I feel that if your forehead rests on your stem your bars are probably too wide.
I watched a Pinkbike video series over the new year, about Zoe Dawson being trained up from XC to enduro, by a bunch of different women. They're getting close to the headbutting. They all use very wide bars considering the old 'shoulder width' spiel. It kinda lends cred to the lateral strength theory. Wider means control, only up to a certain point. This is my completely oblivious opinion.

The video series is surprisingly easy to watch.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I watched a Pinkbike video series over the new year, about Zoe Dawson being trained up from XC to enduro, by a bunch of different women. They're getting close to the headbutting. They all use very wide bars considering the old 'shoulder width' spiel. It kinda lends cred to the lateral strength theory. Wider means control, only up to a certain point. This is my completely oblivious opinion.

The video series is surprisingly easy to watch.

I agree. Until you KO yourself out on your stem. Then you've gone too wide :p