Bargain buys thread

safreek

Would of been a true bargain, went pretty quick. Not as quick as the stab with monsters, dude got it for a fiddy on gumtree

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Any suggestions for a cheap but decent platform pedal for children's bikes (20" wheel bike and 24" wheel bike)?

Also, are V-brake pads from Kmart any good or should I avoid them like the plague?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Those are hectic for kids! 99 Bikes has Odyssey Twisted PC (the bmx pedal that started the whole plastic pedals thing) for $25.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think these are okay from $720 AUD

nathanm

Eats Squid
Have no actual feedback on these, but they seem like a good deal
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/suntour-aion-forks/rp-prod194869
Ill be able to tell you when I finally finish the hardtail build as I bought a similar set.

Got them during the 10% off sale which bought them down to $270. Then turns out crc incorrectly described them as coming with pcs and other features of a newer fork and when I enquired they credited me $60 back so ended up costing me around $210.

Pretty good deal for new forks regardless.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
CRC factor the GST into pricing.
Yeah but if you use a freight forwarder to get around a geoblock, you'll have a shipping address within Europe and pay the tax (20% vs our 10 too). I assume anyway, haven't tried it.

This in reference to @Haakon buying from the Chairmans, who I think won't charge you if you're from outside the EU.

EDIT: I changed the shipping destination on bike components from AU to France, and up the price goes.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah but if you use a freight forwarder to get around a geoblock, you'll have a shipping address within Europe and pay the tax (20% vs our 10 too). I assume anyway, haven't tried it.

This in reference to @Haakon buying from the Chairmans, who I think won't charge you if you're from outside the EU.

EDIT: I changed the shipping destination on bike components from AU to France, and up the price goes.
Right. I don’t see his posts. Thought it was about Nates forks.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Plus pay 20% VAT presumably?
Yes. And freight forwarder puts 10%GST on too... But - such is the Australia tax this sometimes still comes out ahead though, and will give you access to stuff you might not be able to get at any price locally.

All I'm saying is its simple to get around the geoblock, and sometimes the sums still add up. YMMV.

I've bought tow bars for the cars (and still come out at half the price of a locally sourced one) and particular bike parts from europe and the US I couldnt buy here this way.

A Soma frame from a seller in the mid west USA via a freight forwarder in Florida paying state sales tax from the seller and 10% GST was still several hundred cheaper than the Oz distributer...

Last edited: