Bargain buys thread

moorey

call me Mia
my current wera set showing signs of wear (specifically the one that tried to pry apart a seized pdeal) Slightly dissapointed but they have held up better than previous ones, I've had. What's the next step up?
A little grease on the pedal threads?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
my current wera set showing signs of wear (specifically the one that tried to pry apart a seized pdeal) Slightly dissapointed but they have held up better than previous ones, I've had. What's the next step up?
Anything heavy hitting, I always use a socket hex. Pedals and cranks especially.

A decent set can be bought at a bunnings relatively cheap, reckon my set are kinchrome and have been 100% for many years.

The flex in a allen key with very tight bolts is crap, stick one of these on a breaker bar and shit just pops off.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Anything heavy hitting, I always use a socket hex. Pedals and cranks especially.

A decent set can be bought at a bunnings relatively cheap, reckon my set are kinchrome and have been 100% for many years.
Iv'e got those and I actually find the opposite. The more parts between my hand and the bit the more sloppy I find it. I've used those successfulyl for larger sizes, but for smaller than 6mm I find an allen key is still less likely to round the bolt.

A little grease on the pedal threads?
Pedal on said bike for 7 years straight. Got to be some kind of record. BB and pedals never replaced until the car wiped the poor bike out.

ausdb

Being who he is
Pedal on said bike for 7 years straight. Got to be some kind of record. BB and pedals never replaced until the car wiped the poor bike out.
Put some penetrating oil on the threads and let it soak in overnight (Reducteur / Penetrene or similar). Then after its had a good soak heat it up with an old fashioned incandescent lamp shining on for a couple of hours so it's well and truly hot, don't just wave a hot air gun on it for a couple of minutes.
Then next is probably a little hard to do as far as getting the crank arm against a solid surface so it can't bounce around if it's still on the bike. Use and inhex impact socket Toolking Inhex socket on an impact driver and give it a few good belts to loosen the threads, of course make sure you have your impact driver set the right way if its a left hand thread!
If you can get the crank arm off the bike then it's probably easier to do this step off the bike then if you need to put the crankarm back on the bike when you go to undo it at the end.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Put some penetrating oil on the threads and let it soak in overnight (Reducteur / Penetrene or similar). Then after its had a good soak heat it up with an old fashioned incandescent lamp shining on for a couple of hours so it's well and truly hot, don't just wave a hot air gun on it for a couple of minutes.
Then next is probably a little hard to do as far as getting the crank arm against a solid surface so it can't bounce around if it's still on the bike.
Thanks, thankfully have had this a few times. Did exactly that method but it did require pedal removal and a vice.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reactions: SDA

peanut

Likes Dirt
I can't see the offset listed on either, sent them a question regarding offset and production date. Wouldn't mind swapping out my 36 for another mezzer.
I did the same, I'm more interested in the production date, the photo is the V3 lowers but likely just a manufacturers stock image.

Last edited:

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did the same, I'm more interested in the production date, the photo is the V3 lowers but likely just a manufacturers stock image.
Yeah....I was thinking cyclingdeal could be clearing old stock with the flaws, not such a bargain IF that's the case

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah....I was thinking cyclingdeal could be clearing old stock with the flaws, not such a bargain IF that's the case
I emailed them a few months back to get a price and they told me they can’t get them in. It seems strange now they have them for a super deal.

Last edited:

deano

Likes Dirt
I emailed them a few months back to get a price and they told me they can get them in. It seems strange now they have them for a super deal.
Think you meant they said they can't get them? I also emailed close to release to see if they would get them, they said no. I think cycling deal are opportunists, they jump on closeouts to sell cheap while retaining good margin for them. Would not be surprised if these are 1st gen in traditional offset, would be stoked if they are not.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Think you meant they said they can't get them? I also emailed close to release to see if they would get them, they said no. I think cycling deal are opportunists, they jump on closeouts to sell cheap while retaining good margin for them. Would not be surprised if these are 1st gen in traditional offset, would be stoked if they are not.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
Yes I did thanks. I typed it on the phone.
If they were not willing to get them in for a normal sale then I wonder how keen they would be to help with any warranty or after sales service.

moorey

call me Mia
Did they use the photo that shall remain unseen in their PowerPoint presentation?

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk
I typed up a long description of my experience, but decided not to post. Hopefully Cyclingdeal have their shit together now, but I certainly won’t buy anything from them.

Edit happy to provide more info to anyone interested individually. I can’t praise Shockcraft more highly.

Last edited:

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
I went through Hayes directly for the updated replace the V1 lowers for the V3 as I purchased them from Wiggle back on Oct last year. They were fantastic with the whole progress even with Covid delays. HI'm considering another pair for my Prime. I would just going be through Hayes again as the offset doesn't bother me( it's over stated).
As far as I know Shockcraft doesn't do warranties anymore unless you purchased from him.

peanut

Likes Dirt
I went through Hayes directly for the updated replace the V1 lowers for the V3 as I purchased them from Wiggle back on Oct last year. They were fantastic with the whole progress even with Covid delays. HI'm considering another pair for my Prime. I would just going be through Hayes again as the offset doesn't bother me( it's over stated).
As far as I know Shockcraft doesn't do warranties anymore unless you purchased from him.
I should have reached out to Hayes before I sent my mattoc back to wiggle, but because of wiggles initial 6 week delay in responding the more problematic issue further developed.
I just hit 11 weeks from the initial warranty enquiry, apparently the fork has been with the u.k disto for about 2 weeks...still nothing.

I had initially considered shock craft & just paying for the bushing & stiction solution but when the stantion wear appeared...I wasn't going to replace a CSU. The fork was only about 8 weeks old (approx 30 hrs) at the initial enquiry.

On a positive note I did get to try out a mullet setup on a bike not designed for it as a friend lent me a 140mm 29 unicorn fork & wheel, if the remedy had a proper low BB setting then id seriously consider heading down that path. I only picked up a 2nd hand diamond 27.5 fork last weekend so I'm back to a more familiar setup....still prefer the manitou feel though...

moorey

call me Mia
My first ever set had a CSU creak from new. Bought from wiggle, so I sent them back for warranty. 3 months without word or reply pass...They then claimed they’d sent to manitou for checking and no issue was found. Thing was, I’d contacted manitou myself to see if they’d heard anything. Wiggle had not sent them to any manitou repairer, there was no record of them.
I informed wiggle of this, and got an embarrassed reply that seemed to acknowledge they had bullshitted me, then promptly had a new CSU fitted.
They then got lost in transit for a further 3 months, misplaced in a Brussels warehouse.
Wiggle wouldn’t refund until verified as lost, shipping company wouldn’t verify as lost...just ‘current whereabouts unknown’

I’d given up, then they just turned up out of the blue. Over 6 months after sending them off. A month later, wiggle emailed me that they were still missing :rolleyes:

I hung them on the shelf then swapped with @Hipstar for a frame. He rode about 2x then sold to @Boom King cheap. They will be mine again one day.