Bargain buys thread

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Feels as if they're trying to cut costs and have gone to a new web platform with just the basics.... I'm going to guess they've moved to some generic provider.

All of the detailed search features are gone - and those would have been costing them money to keep every product updated etc.

Chat function is gone as well.

Lower prices = lower service.

Was always going to happen

EDIT: "More payment options, including Apple Pay, Google Pay and ShopPay." would suggest they're now just on a cheap Shopify platform. Lame.
Chat function is still there. Had some issues with a return, quick chat and sorted. Search is different but still works ok

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Chat function is still there. Had some issues with a return, quick chat and sorted. Search is different but still works ok
Ah yes it has appeared.

I also can't log in - which is most likely me just being an idiot. But I did manage to log in last week and order stuff so who knows

creaky

XMAS Plumper
It was also interesting that the email about the changes / reduced prices etc. a week or two ago was just a plain text format with no logos etc.

I wonder if the business has changed hands?

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I dont think it's changed hands I think they're just cutting the guts out of it....

All the writing and formatting (especially product details. Example. Hub widths. Now when you search hubs you don't get those filter options) of the old website costs a lot of money. But I think it was worth it.

I think MTBD has f**ked this.

Simple annoying Shopify website now.

I just got my password reset and logged in..... all my purchase history.... gone. Wishlists....... gone.

EDIT - jsut to got this through their chat

"As you may have noticed we are transitioning to a fresh new website.

With this update, we have experienced some customers not being able to log in to their accounts as per normal.

To assist you in accessing your account, you have been provided an invite link via email, just now so that you can access your account. ✉

We are also currently working through a large volume of data which includes customer transaction histories and wishlists.

We appreciate your patience as we build the new platform to provide you with an amazing new shopping experience.

As always feel free to get back in touch if there is anything else we can do to assist you at any time."

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Feels as if they're trying to cut costs and have gone to a new web platform with just the basics.... I'm going to guess they've moved to some generic provider.

All of the detailed search features are gone - and those would have been costing them money to keep every product updated etc.

Chat function is gone as well.

Lower prices = lower service.

Was always going to happen

EDIT: "More payment options, including Apple Pay, Google Pay and ShopPay." would suggest they're now just on a cheap Shopify platform. Lame.
I don't care what the website looks like, have a look at eightyonespices.com.au - it's like a school project from 2005 but I still get stuff from them.
I gave up on MTB Direct when their prices went up and they were not prepared to price match Pushys and BikeBug. They must also be on some sort of strange shipping deal with Australia Post because it takes a week or more for stuff from them to get from one side of Melbourne to the other.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I rarely care what the website looks like, but have a look at eightyonespices.com.au - it's like a school project from 2005 but with prices from 2055.
FIFY

I want to love their stuff, but their prices are bonkers - almost always higher than ze Germans (even at undiscounted German pricing + freight). Add in the fact their website is practically unnavigable, add I just can't be bothered trying to just scroll though random product just to check in case they randomly happen to have something for sale at a reasonable price. Sometimes people link stuff they have on special on here, and I'm just left feeling like "Oh, I didn't even know they sold that..." because I never would have had the patience to scroll through hundreds of other items to get there...

Probably would've bought a lot of stuff there if I was able to find it, and didn't feel like I was being asked to sell organs to fund things available for a fraction of the price elsewhere once located. Too late now I guess.

shiny

FIFY

I want to love their stuff, but their prices are bonkers - almost always higher than ze Germans (even at undiscounted German pricing + freight). Add in the fact their website is practically unnavigable, add I just can't be bothered trying to just scroll though random product just to check in case they randomly happen to have something for sale at a reasonable price. Sometimes people link stuff they have on special on here, and I'm just left feeling like "Oh, I didn't even know they sold that..." because I never would have had the patience to scroll through hundreds of other items to get there...

Probably would've bought a lot of stuff there if I was able to find it, and didn't feel like I was being asked to sell organs to fund things available for a fraction of the price elsewhere once located. Too late now I guess.
Funny. I have found them to be very competive on pricing. Several items I have bought lately have been much cheaper than the Germans and with the 15% off voucher last week I went a bit nuts. New site looks basic see how it evolves.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got an email from them this morning asking me to reset my password etc.

Felt like a phishing scams. I don't blame them for adopting a simplified approach to cut costs though.

Will give them a chance when buying but the price difference between them and LBS evaporated some time ago.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They must also be on some sort of strange shipping deal with Australia Post because it takes a week or more for stuff from them to get from one side of Melbourne to the other.
Hopefully, for you, slightly faster than from one side of Bass Straight to the other.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Funny. I have found them to be very competive on pricing. Several items I have bought lately have been much cheaper than the Germans and with the 15% off voucher last week I went a bit nuts. New site looks basic see how it evolves.
New site? All I get is the old grid-type pages they've had for years, with click to 'Load More' after the first handful of items site and no filtering/sorting options available whatsoever:

This is the homepage for the online shop - So much functionality!

I remember making a website like this with simple rollover menus and no filtering options. In high school. 20 years ago. Excuse me for not feeling overawed... :(

shiny

New site? All I get is the old grid-type pages they've had for years, with click to 'Load More' after the first handful of items site and no filtering/sorting options available whatsoever:
View attachment 390048

This is the homepage for the online shop - So much functionality!
View attachment 390049

I remember making a website like this with simple rollover menus and no filtering options. In high school. 20 years ago. Excuse me for not feeling overawed... :(
@beeb was taking (writing) about 81spices, not MTBD
Thanks @creaky

Sorry @beeb crossed wires. Thought you meant MTBD. Off to the f-wits thread i go!!

smaj

Likes Dirt
uummmm yeah WTF MTBD ? Older website was HEAPS better
Got a bit of a shock when I loaded it up this morning: thought it'd loaded without stylesheets for a sec. TBH I don't mind the layout. Filtering of categories seems a bit more sparse than before (didn't it used to allow you to filter by speed etc as well as brand?). Got the "reactivate your account" email just now as well.